Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Belly pan

well ive been holding off on this for along time but i am now seeing that i will have to get a belly pan before i paint instead of after and making a really big head ache for myself. so i need a stock metal bellypan, nothing fancy no flares or spoilers. so let me know if any of you have one for sale or an extra one hanging around.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
belly pan

gt source sells a fiberglass one which they have in there catalog and also i think opelgtparts.com sells one too and u could always try opeljunkyard.com. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
finally i got one! but i am a little disappointed with it......i didnt know it was so rusty and dented it looked alot better in the pictures but i will make it work. i spent 2 hours drilling out spot welds and now i just have to patch some of it and work on taking dents out of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i knew that there are some really rough ones out there a definate flaw in opel's design to have the battery over paper thin metal. i guess there are some that are better and some that are much worse that people will try to fix. i got a really good deal with david ponder from opel junkyard he gave it to me for $80 including s/h. hes a really nice guy try to give him some business as much as possible.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
yep as soon as i get my GT goin in a few weeks again, i'm doing carpet and lenses(they are coming from dave) he is very reasonable.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
well we just hit a skunk with my GT a week before it spun the rod bearing and it streaked up my belly pan pretty darn good. if it was fiberglass i'm sure it would have been half a belly pan.;)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine also didnt have a bellypan on my opel when i got it. to see type in "jordan" in the photo gallery search.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh i forgot the entire corner where the bellypan attaches to the outer fender is brass......like a lot of it is, so I will braze it to the fender. will it warp like it did when i welded in the fender patches? any other tips?

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
any takers im not going to braze until i get an answer and i cant paint until i braze. so this is the last thing i have to do before i paint......ive been waiting over a week!

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Jordan,

So, are you asking "will the metal warp when I braze it"? It all depends on heat. The best method is to use a MIG welder, and a flux-core wire feed welder is the next best. Their advantage is a very small "heat affected zone", so the panel doesn't overheat and warp. But even a MIG welder will cause warping if you lay down too much weld at once, or don't do something to cool the panel down. The best way (in any method) is to "tack" the panels together first, every inch or so, and then fill the gap up and cool it down in between. I found that soaking rags in water and laying them out on the panel (around the specific area you are welding) can also keep warping to a minimum. Before I discovered (and bought ) a MIG welder, I used a gas acetylene welder to do my first panel rust repairs, and it worked pretty good. Except that brass and steel are "dissimilar metals" and the resultant voltaic cell sure promotes corrosion unless you seal it up very well.

As for all the "brass" you see where the belly-pan attaches, the factory actually brazed the panels together, but they used a low temperature process and sealed them up afterwards.

HTH

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I don't see a problem with fiberglass,
sure gill's gt's airdam hits the ground but the car is also lowered 2" and the air damn is hanging even lower than the belly pan. The fiberglass will never rust and it will be resistant to dents. Unless it is really thin it would take a pretty hard hit to actually crack it, I have knocked that area of my corvette pretty hard and it has never cracked. I would install one on my gt if I had a bad belly pan.

·
Opeler
252 Posts
when I welded in the first patch it warped the fender really bad so i cut that one out and most of the warpage went away.the next time I took it slower spot welding every inch or so and keeping the weld cool with wet rags.this time no warpage.I am using a mig welder with innershield welding wire and no gas.I only spotwelded the patch about every1/2 inch.Is it necessary to weld it solid all the way around?the patch is about 1/2 bigger than the holeso it will not be flush but have a slight recess that body filler will take care of.

·
Opel Key Master
5,340 Posts
Welding belly pan

Jordan, another thing that will help you in the future and what I can tell by the pictures you are not doing it sanding away a good area of the piant around where you weld. It is more time effective to sand the paint and get a good weld than to have a bad weld due to old paint. The old paint really can mess up your conductivity. Also the metal must be as close to the other peice you are welding to provide a small gap to fill. If not you will have to spend a lot of time filling it with weld. Then sometimes one gets impatient and does to much causing it to warp. Hope this helps!
Keith

1 - 20 of 23 Posts