Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Newbie here.....

How do you decipher a Opel block number? I have a 1970 GT with a 1.9, however some one mentioned to me that having a * makes a difference in the rarity of the car? I am a Pontiac person and know very little about the GT's.

thanks
gt.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Opels aren’t ‘numbers matching’ cars. The best you can really do is get the date code correct.

The block depicted in your photos is a 1.9E, which indicates it came from a 1975 Manta or Ascona with EFI and low compression pistons.

A 1970 GT should have a 1.9S block with flat-top pistons.

The year of manufacture should be in a raised oval-shaped boss just below the starter.

Reactions: Commodåren

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. not sure if that makes the engine a boat anchor or something some one can use for another project. unfortunately the car is rusted out from the front to the rear end.

·
Registered
853 Posts
In Europe the * is an identification mark for engines built from -75 when they lowered the lead content in the gas in Germany. If your 19E would have been from a European car, it would have had a105hp DIN power rating, a solid cam and a 9,5:1 static compression ratio with flat top pistons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts