Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A design for anyone who is restoring a GT and would like ideas on a mobile frame which safely supports the shell at 90 degrees.

Attached pics are of a design for a rotisserie-style frame for restoring an Opel GT, which I made last year and is working very well for me.
Basically, it consists of two rectangular steel-tube frames with cross supports welded in that attach to the stock suspension mounts.
For the front I used ~1/2" steel plate and measured it out to bolt directly onto the front crossmember mounts.
For the rear I welded on ~1/4" angle iron beams which I bolted onto the control arm mounts and the track rod mount on the passenger side.
I used the same angle iron to create a very solid support across the upper side of the frame.
I then just welded wheels onto the bottom and bolted others onto the side and I can now wheel my shell smoothly around.
The frame is extremely solid and holds the car very firmly, enough to rotate in on its side. I'm pretty sure it would safely sit upside-down as well but the frame that I made isn't tall enough and the roof of the GT would rest on the ground.

If anyone is interested I can measure out where the welds are and I could do a drawing of the frame as a standalone with measurements and everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Opel GT Rotisserie Frame Specs

This post consists of pictures of the CAD assembly with measurements and a Bill of Materials for the parts used.
If anyone has access to a CAD program and is interested you can PM me and I will email you the files. I'll post some pics of close-ups of the mounts to the body in the next post.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Close Up Pictures of Body Mounts

Here are the pics of the mounts to the body. Please don't take all my measurements as perfect, ESPECIALLY with the mounts, you will want to tweak and mark for your car to make sure it fits. My measurements of the mounts are approximations and I left hole measurements out because you will want to do those yourselves. All of the parts were welded together except the upper frame rails that connect the front and rear parts, you will want to bolt those to the frames.
I honestly probably over-engineered the frame and some parts can probably be either left out or modified.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts