Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I need some buying advice and a 'appraisal' from all you experts here. Im looking at getting a GT as a hobby project and for a fun little driver.

Saw a red '73 GT for sale on the way to work the other day. Asking price was $750. Im currently waiting for a call back form the number listed so i can get more information. Was parked in a business park and looks like a daily driver so Im assuming it runs fairly.

Interior: below average. Not torn up or trashed but definatly showing its age and wear.
Rust: Not much visible. Only saw one spot, the rear deck on the body 'crease' that continues from the window. Looked like moderate surface rust about 1in total. Nothing visible around the edges of the body, wheel wells looked dirty but nothing seen. Couldnt really see under the chassis.
Engine & Drivetrain: No clue. was a manual, assuming a 4 speed. Couldnt see the odometor and didnt see under the hood.
Looked like it was the first or second coat of paint. No blisters or peeling but wasnt glossy naymore and showed some age.
The deal breaker was the body. Looks like it took a moderate hit to the drivers front quarter panel area. There was some moderate rumpeling to the fender just in front of the wheel next to the light. Didnt look major but its probably beyond easy/worthwile repair.

My big question is will this compromise the chassis/body significantly?
Are replacements (fiberglass?) really doable for te front end? I saw this post http://www.opelgt.com/forums/archive/topic/978.html and im hoping that a panel/front would be possible. RIght now my WAG is to drop about $1500 on any body/paint work doing a lot of it myself.
I plan on getting some more info and then go to get some pictures and poke around the car a bit more thoroughly.

Im realistic (hopefully) when it comes to investment/return. I would plan on just using this as a hobby and not on making anything back. My goals are an enjoyable project, and a fun car to play around in. Not looking for racing, v8 swaps, or 1/4mi times.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Lin;
The only thing I want to say here is DO NOT order from "Show Cars". This company has proven to be a rip-off. There are other ways to get repair panels for GT's, but, not through these people.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Do you know any good body-men at any local shops? Most side damages can be repaired if the metalman takes pride in his work and you don't try to hurry them. Take time to talk to them cause when you work with large areas, you need experience. I've spent 18 yrs in a Air Force metal/paint shop, so I got some idea what's involved. The interior is something you can put your own personal touch into. Medium/small dents and such you can do. But keeping body lines straight and matching curves is a trick.
Have fun with it and keep your cool! :D

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Where are you in CA? After I lost my brakes on the 805 freeway near San Diego in ruch hour I needed the front end of my GT repaired. The whole area around the scoops in the nose was crushed, needed a new bumper, etc.

Luckily, it was rush hour on the 805, so I was going about 6 miles an hour and no one was hurt, but in the process I discovered a great bodyshop that did really nice work on the GT. I have subsequently had them do the entire body restoration on my 1974 Jensen Healey, and they have also worked on my wife's daily driver, which is a tricky pearl white. They do a lot of work on old and interesting cars without charging outrageous "restoration shop" prices.

If you are anywhere around San Diego, let me know and I will get the contact information, which of course I don't have in front of me now. I guess it would have been esaier if I did. Oops.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so its doable?

Im in Monterey, near San Jose. I dont have an ypersonal knowledge of a real nice body shop but ill ask around. I figured itd be easier to source a replacement than try to get someone to work out all those compound curves.

So the opinion is that this damage wouldnt be too bad?

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
On most cars yes it would be easier to just "bolt" on a new panel, but the gt body is all one piece and replacing any panel requires cutting and welding and a fair ammoung of body work to fit properly anyway. So many times it is just as easy to fix what is there rahter than try with a new panel. If you had a picture of the damage we could tell you how hard it would be to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts