Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried finding this info and even checked the classic opel registry. It would be nice to have a thread that compiles all the GT color codes, that appear on the firewall plaque. The info should be broken into exterior and interior codes. I've been checking a bunch of info I have, and I've compiled the following lists. If anyone has info that contradicts the following, please share it. This is rather difficult work due to Opel changing codes and different sources giving slightly different info. There are paint codes I have that don't apply to the GT if anyone is wondering. Some paint code directories refer to metallic paint as poly.

Exterior Colors - Factory Code, Name, Plaque Number

1969 Colors
15 - GT Metallic Green / Forest Green - 336
BB - Sand Beige - 448
CC - Sun Yellow - 450
DD - Regal Gold Met. - 447
HH - Strato Blue Met. - 235
JJ - Rallye Red - 520
PP - Spring Green Met. - 338
RR - Brilliant White - 451
UU - Metallic Silver - 135

1970 Colors
16 - GT Chartreuse - 406*
BB - Sand Beige - 448
CC - Chrome Yellow - 446
DD - Aztec Gold Met. - 404
GG - Copper Bronze Metallic - 507
HH - Strato Blue Met. - 235
JJ - Flame Red - 508
PP - Spring Green Met. - 308
RR - Brilliant White - 451
SS - Sunburst Yellow - 407
UU - Metallic Silver - 135
WW - Rallye Orange - 513
ZZ - GT Chartreuse - 406*

* Some sources have this as ZZ, others as 16.

1971 Colors
CC - Alpine White - 416
DD - Strato Blue Met. - 235
GG - Aztec Gold Met. - 404
HH - Jade Green Met. - 304
PP - Astro Silver Met. - 135
QQ - Rallye Gold - 411
RR - Flame Red - 508
TT - Antique Bronze Met. - 412
XX - Fire Glow Orange - 529
YY - Chrome Yellow - 446

1972 Colors
CC or RR - Alpine White - 416
DD or HH - Strato Blue Met. - 235
HH or PP - Jade Mist Met. - 303
QQ or SS - Rallye Gold - 411
RR or JJ - Flame Red - 508
TT or GG - Antique Bronze Met. - 412
XX or WW - Fire Glow Orange - 529
YY or CC - Chrome Yellow - 446
UU - Astro or Grecian Silver Met. - 135

1973 Colors
CC or RR - Alpine White - 416
DD or HH - Strato Blue Met. - 235
HH or PP - Jade Mist Met. - 303
QQ or SS - Rallye Gold - 411
RR or JJ - Flame Red - 508
TT or GG - Antique Bronze Met. - 412
XX or WW - Fire Glow Orange - 529
YY or CC - Chrome Yellow - 446
SS - Grecian Silver Met. - 135

Interior Colors

Black - 751
Buckskin (Off White) - 721
Red - 741
Tan Dark / Brown - 701 (Very Rare)
Tan Light / Beige - 702
Blue - 711 (Extremely rare, photos are the only evidence I have that this exists)

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm aware that OMC published a GT colors sheet. It doesn't have all this info. I've spent a couple hours trying to pull info from various sources, and it's pretty difficult. I do still need the codes for red and brown interior colors. This will be info we should probably sticky. Eventually, it would be nice to create an updated document with photos of these colors.

4,231 Posts
I'm aware that OMC published a GT colors sheet. It doesn't have all this info. I've spent a couple hours trying to pull info from various sources, and it's pretty difficult. I do still need the codes for red and brown interior colors. This will be info we should probably sticky. Eventually, it would be nice to create an updated document with photos of these colors.
741= red 701= dark tan

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of our forum members has an early split bumper GT that was painted the elusive GT Metallic Green, also called Forest Green. Below is the plaque for it. The info was placed in opposite spots...

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to compile this info should anyone want to understand their firewall plaque. The other way this info is useful, if you wanted to change your GT's exterior and interior colors and have a new plaque made. The downside to changing interior color is that some parts matched the interior and reproductions of these parts can only be had in black. For example, the door sill molding that can be seen from inside the vehicle would match the interior. You can get new moldings but only in black.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to continue building upon this info, with a cross reference for paint formula codes. I have some info on paint mixing formula for many but probably not all GT paint colors. I'll put all this in a document and combine it with the info from my first post. I'll update this thread when I'm finished.

·
Opel Key Master
5,268 Posts
Most codes we have problems getting formulas for now. There are a few GT colors that are current popular colors, like Chrome Yellow is right on the DuPont mix card for common colors. I have a DuPont book from 1973 with all the codes in a 5 digit format. I have used the OMC color chart for reference, as it’s pretty good. And it states all the interior color options for what exterior color.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the paint mixing info for all the 69 colors. I have some other info for other years.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I could use some help deciphering info in the attached image. It's mixing info, but I don't understand the black vs red. Are the two colors for acrylic vs enamel or something else?

I could also use some confirmation on the following colors, were they actually offered for the GT? Ever? I'm trying to fact check my info, make sure nothing is missed.

-Sun Yellow in 69
-Copper Bronze Met. in 70
-Metallic Silver in 70
-Glacier Blue
-Antique Bronze Met in 71-73

Attachments

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone provide me with info on the 1100 GT's and GT/J's? What colors were offered? I believe there was a different plain black interior (451) for the 1100's?

·
Can Opeler
3,474 Posts
Can anyone provide me with info on the 1100 GT's and GT/J's? What colors were offered? I believe there was a different plain black interior (451) for the 1100's?
That’s listed in the projekt 1484 book for the Opel gt. Notice the 1100 is only available in black without perforations in Europe.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Kyler! That's just what I was looking for. I was actually thinking about messaging you to ask if you had that book. I've read that it had such info.

The OMC reference doesn't talk about GT/J's, and LeMans Blue was offered for a color. So, only relying on the OMC color info won't suffice. Another color, Antique Bronze Met, according to 1971 Opel sales literature was a color the GT could be purchased with. I've seen a photo or the different colors of the GT, as a collection of what would have been offered for a given year, and glacier blue was among the pics. There is no mention of the blue interior, etc. I'm going to have to challenge the accuracy of the OMC color info. It may suffice for most people who use it, but not this. It also lacks codes to verify info. I aim to replace the OMC color guide with an updated document.

·
Can Opeler
3,474 Posts
Thanks Kyler! That's just what I was looking for. I was actually thinking about messaging you to ask if you had that book. I've read that it had such info.

The OMC reference doesn't talk about GT/J's, and LeMans Blue was offered for a color. So, only relying on the OMC color info won't suffice. Another color, Antique Bronze Met, according to 1971 Opel sales literature was a color the GT could be purchased with. I've seen a photo or the different colors of the GT, as a collection of what would have been offered for a given year, and glacier blue was among the pics. There is no mention of the blue interior, etc. I'm going to have to challenge the accuracy of the OMC color info. It may suffice for most people who use it, but not this. It also lacks codes to verify info. I aim to replace the OMC color guide with an updated document.
My 1971 Opel paint and trim manual says that antique bronze was on everything but GT.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah yes, that's right. I'm building an English version of the info you just shared from Projekt 1484. I'll also have a section for paint codes cross reference, and then paint mixing formulas. My tables will include an approximate color for everything, not just the codes. I've found suitable colors for the interior, and I have dozens of paint sample photos and my own paint code book. So, I should be able to do a simplistic paint color for the table. I haven't decided if I'll include photos of paint samples for the paint code cross reference section but I might as that could help people.

Looks like the info in the original post is no where near what this will wind up as.

·
Can Opeler
3,474 Posts
The thing I’ve always found weird is that the paint codes everywhere are listed as the two letters instead of 3 numbers. I have three GTs and all of them list the paint code in number form. That OMC paint chip file has always bothered me since it didn’t have the number codes too.
It will be nice to have them all in one place instead of having to search the forum.

Also if you get stumped on anything give Gil a call. When I was researching the blue interior GT option I asked Gil about it and he’s seen several apparently lol.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The interesting thing, some of my info shows the firewall plaque as listing both the code and number for the paint. I wonder if other models included both? Or maybe that was their plan and it changed, but the marketing department wanted to use letters instead of numbers so they had to use both.

I think the Projekt 1484 info will do it actually. It takes a lot of guess work out of the equation. I wish the book was printed in English, then I'd buy it. I might have to give in and get it as a resource.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm looking through GT Love, and it has some info that's interesting...

"In August 1971, the GT was available in ten paint colors. The standard ones were citrus yellow (color code CC), cardinal red (JJ), Arctic White (RR), ochre (SS), brick red (WW) and LeMans blue (14). Available for an additional price were metallic paint finishes Sahara gold (DD), Monza blue (HH), lime green (PP) and silver (UU)."

"Also available at various times were pampas green, brilliant white, rallye red and chrome yellow - and for a short time British green and Chartreuse"

"U.S. customers, too, had a struggle to choose - among astro silver, strato blue, jade green, rallye gold, chrome yellow, flame red and fire glow. Only four of the ten colors were available for the GT/J (Junior): brick red, LeMans blue, ochre and citrus yellow."

"The colors could be combined with black, red or blue fabric. Later came the option of artificial leather in black, blue or red. "Active breathing", of course. A very rare interior color was "Buckskin", also offered in the USA as off-white. However, only the seats, door and side panels, including grips and armrests, headliners, pillars and spare wheel cladding were finished in this particular shade. All the other interior trim details were kept black."

This is found on page 52. It caught my eye because Sahara gold is a different paint formula and code (402) from Aztec gold (404).

OMG... Opel did a design study called the GT/W. "The "W" stands for Wankel, because the designers developed the study as a two-seater mid-engine sports car with a Wankel engine." Damn, that would have been an epic Opel. I need to finally read this entire book.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't seem to find a paint supplier.

I tried my go to, Automotive TouchUp paint, but no luck and they tried three other places.

Anyone know how to get touch up paint for an Opel GT?

1970 Opel GT

WW - Rallye Orange – 513

1 - 20 of 44 Posts