Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now this is probally going to sound dumb, but why do the majority of Gts seem to be originally painted Red or Yellow? I've seen a few Blue and a few Green. A very few. My wife says it was because of the times (70s), and Reds and Yellows were popular. Just curious. Thanks, Jarrell

· Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Jarrell,
When I bought my new GT in 1971, there were only a few colors available. It seems Red and Yellow were the most popular at the time. But I remember seeing Blue, Orange, Green and if I remember right, White was available, too. I may be wrong on the White exterior color but it seems it came with a red interior. (My age may be finally catching up with me!)
Anyway, the Red and Yellow simply were the most popular, along with the Orange. There were not many Blue or Green ones around, at least not around North Carolina where I was.

· Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Excelsior , that was a very informative site. It appears there were more color options available in Europe than here. The mixing part was right on, since a paint job is in the plans for winter or early spring. Jarrell

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Just a thought

Since the photo gallery has the original colors of the Manta, why don't we post the original colors of the other opels. I will post a picture of my GT as soon as I look up the official color name. The moderator(s), if they want, can create a seperate gallery for each model Opel.
Just a thought.

· Super Moderator
9,837 Posts
I was going to do it, but, finding GT's with the "correct" color is a bit of a doing. Most of the Manta ones, I pull off a site that had original colors on it. Anyone with the correct color on their GT can send their pics to me and I'll start a file till I get most or all. The harder part would be for the Kadetts. The Asconas had the exact same as the Mantas. Here's my e-mails
[email protected]
[email protected]

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
If you have Ascona pictures, it would be nice to see how it would look on the car itself.

· Opeler
56 Posts
paint chips

I just opened my mail and found the color chips for '71 GT that I ordered off of ebay. The Ditzler chart shows 8 colors for the '71; alpine white, glacier blue, strato blue poly, aztec gold poly, antique bronze poly, astro silver poly, jade green poly and fire glow. Did they really make all of these? I was also under the impression of there being only a couple of choices.
Lonnie

· Über Moderator
6,683 Posts
This may not be the definitive answer, but when I look into the various Opel FSM's for different years, I see the following colours offered (but some may have been GT, Manta, 1900 or Kadett only, or some but not others):

1969:
BB Sand Beige
CC Sun Yellow
DD Regal Gold
HH Strato Blue
JJ Rallye Red
PP Spring Green
RR Brilliant White
UU Metallic Silver
I5 GT Metallic Green

I don't have a '70 FSM

1971:
PP Astro Silver
FF Glacier Blue
DD Strato Blue
CC Alpine White
HH Jade Green
YY Chrome Yellow
XX Fire Glow
RR Flame Red
GG Aztec Gold
TT Antique Bronze

1972:
FF Glacier Blue
DD Strato Blue
CC Alpine White
HH Jade Mist
YY Chrome Yellow
XX Fire Glow
RR Flame Red
QQ Rallye Gold
TT Antique Bronze

The 1973 FSM specifies which paint for which model:
C Alpine White: 51,53, 54, 57, 57R, 77
D Strato Blue: 51,53, 54, 57, 57R, 77
F Glacier Blue: 51,53, 54, 57, 57R
H Jade Mist: 51,53, 54, 57, 57R, 77
Q Rallye Gold: 51,53, 54, 57, 57R, 77
R Flame Red: 51,53, 54, 57, 57R, 77
T Antique Bronze: 51,53, 54, 57, 57R
X Fire Glow: 51,53, 54, 57, 57R, 77
Y Chrome Yellow: 51,53, 54, 57, 57R, 77
M Deep Burgundy: 57L
B Regency Blue: 57L
S Grecian Silver: 57L

And for Vinyl Tops in 1973:
Black: 57, 57L (coordinated w/ exterior colour), 57R
Burgundy: 57L (coordinated w/ exterior colour)
Dark Blue: 57L (coordinated w/ exterior colour)

1974:
GG Signal Green: 54, 57, 57R
CC Polar White: 54, 57, 57R
DD Strato Blue: 57L
FF Signal Blue: 54, 57, 57R
HH Jade Mist: 54, 57, 57R
QQ Rallye Gold: 54, 57, 57R
RR Flame Red: 54, 57, 57R
TT Antique Bronze: 54, 57, 57R
XX Fire Glow: 54, 57, 57R
YY Signal Yellow: 54, 57, 57R
MM Deep Burgundy: 57L
BB Regency Blue: 57L
SS Grecian Silver: 57L

And for Vinyl Tops in 1974:
Maroon: 57L
Dark Blue: 57L
Silver-Gray: 57L
Black: 57, 57R

1975 (all models: 51, 54, 57):
CC Polar White
FF Signal Blue
HH Jade Mist
QQ Rallye Gold
RR Flame Red
SS Grecian Silver
TT Antique Bronze
XX Fire Glow
YY Signal Yellow
and the vinyl top was in black only, and only on the 57

HTH

· Super Moderator
9,837 Posts
I will say this, here at the begining of this. It will be easier to post pics of GT's, as there are a lot of GT's around. But, to post pics of the Asconas in the same colors as the Mantas, it will be more difficult. I know of only one site dedicated to the Ascona A and most of the ones on there have not so much custom colors, but, more like non-factory colors. With all the various GT sites, it's quite possible to gather up most of the correct factory colors.

· Registered
1 Posts
original colour

Hello everyone have just bought my first Opel GT which at the moment is a flat red/orange colour. i would like to return it to its original 1969 colour of metalic silver code uu was the car only produced this colour for 69

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
hi it must be jason king :D just keep the shirt cuffs inside the jacket its never been cool with them turned up on the outside :lmao:(for the rest of the world department S was a 70's tv show in the uk )

i think the colour is just used in 69 by opel (i dont think it was a vauxhall colour ) i think the best way to match it would be to try and get a good sizes flake off inside the car where it is silver and have a paint shop match it unless you can find an old paint shop that still has the old mixing book for it

· Senior Contributor
874 Posts
Does anyone have a 70 FSM that could add the missing info from Keiths list in post 10?

By the way, I thought we had all this info in one place, but I can't seem to find it using search. Does anyone else remember where to find it? What I am really trying to track down is a photo of a GT in the original Strato Blue. Preferably with a recent paint job to eliminate the effects of fading and age.

Thanks,

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
asdasc said:
What I am really trying to track down is a photo of a GT in the original Strato Blue. Preferably with a recent paint job to eliminate the effects of fading and age.Thanks,
I think these are Strato Blue Poly - The LH 1972 looks closest to true colour
The third pic is of a GT/J in Glacier Blue - I think.

Attachments

· Living in the past
2,340 Posts
GT colors

The rarest color is most than likely is the Dark Green (british racing green) with the buckskin (tan) interior in the US. It was only brought here one year, 1969, but boys she is a looker when restored and spiffed out. It is the only GT that I, personally, would not modify. If I had to drive it maybe electronic ignition and weber 32/36, fitted with original snorkle aircleaner. Very rare in original color and condition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.