Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so unfortunately, after only 2 weeks of having the GT on the road I have to make some repairs. I was driving at night and couldnt see the road too well and hit at pot hole pretty hard going around 60km/h. I heard a noise I wasnt too happy with but didnt think anything had broke. After further inspection I saw that a piece of the frame?/subframe?/im not really sure had snapped off the bottom of the car. It is right in front of the rear tire on the passenger side. The underbody isnt too great on my car due to the brutal winters in Ontario and the previous owner storing it out doors. The picture of the damage is below:

I have still been driving it in city (VERY slowly and carefully since I need to get to work some how) and I've noticed that when I push the gas and get off of it relatively quickly, I feel the car kind of twist side to side. Very faintly, but its definitely a little bit. I am just trying to give as much information as I can so that when you fine people offer your advice I can be as clear as I can. I was planning to take it into the shop this week but thought it definitely couldnt hurt to get some opinions from people who are actually familiar with this car (unlike 99.99% of the people in my city).

Thank you in advance!

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
The piece that broke is the piece that holds the rear axle in position in the back of the car. One side has broke loose.
You only have three points on an Opel GT that hold the axle in place.

It's very possible that if you have to slam on the brakes your rear end will separate from the car.

It's absolutely unsafe to drive that car right now. Deadly unsafe.

No, I'm not kidding.

Reactions: baz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The piece that broke is the piece that holds the rear axle in position in the back of the car. One side has broke loose.
You only have three points on an Opel GT that hold the axle in place.

It's very possible that if you have to slam on the brakes your rear end will separate from the car.

It's absolutely unsafe to drive that car right now. Deadly unsafe.

No, I'm not kidding.
Jesus, I didn't know it was that severe. Any suggestions on repair? Ill make sure to stay off the roads until its in the shop

·
Opeler
1,565 Posts
Stop driving that car right now! It is dangerous.

That attachment point is the only thing holding the rear end in on that side of the car and it has nearly completely rusted off.

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
Jesus, I didn't know it was that severe. Any suggestions on repair? Ill make sure to stay off the roads until its in the shop
Whoever fixes it is going to need to find where the cancer begins and ends and patch a piece in there, welding it to good metal.

·
Can Opeler
3,764 Posts
If that other side comes off you will be in bad shape. This part on the GTs is often very rusted like yours is. I built a frame under my GT and one of the side effects of the frame is it strengthens this point that broke on yours.
Opelers, if he cut out around the rusted area and welded on some new sheet metal would it be safe to weld that support arm back on?

Reactions: SaltyQ
4,231 Posts
That rust part is dead.Look at the picture.The whole bracket is rusted to much.
I be sure it is not done with a little welding.
I would check the other site too. Also the pipes what go to the axles ports.

Norbert

·
Registered
188 Posts
If one side is like that...

You might as well get both sides repaired while your at it. Replacement parts might be hard to find but a competent welder could fabricate something similar and functional out of thin steel plate.

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
Theres probably someone out there with a good replacement section that could be welded in there.
If I had known yesterday I would have salvaged one for you. It's too far away for me to go back there now.

Maybe Todd has a section.

Reactions: SaltyQ

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Theres probably someone out there with a good replacement section that could be welded in there.
If I had known yesterday I would have salvaged one for you. It's too far away for me to go back there now.

Maybe Todd has a section.
Ahh, thats unfortunate, but I appreciate the thought. Ill post more pictures tonight, but what do you think this would run me if a welder had to fabricate some stuff for it? just generally speaking I mean, 500-600? or am I looking at like 1000-1200?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,901 Posts
You've got BAD rust issues my friend. I've never in 35 years seen an Opel rusted back there that bad. If it's rusted that bad there, I'd hate to see what the forward sections look like.

Before you go blowing hard earned money on quick fix welding patch jobs, you need to stand back and be honest with yourself as to whether it's worth it to spend one penny to fix it.

Your car is totally undrivable in that condition and just touching the brakes could cause the whole rear axle to tear away from the car.

:sigh:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Ahh, thats unfortunate, but I appreciate the thought. Ill post more pictures tonight, but what do you think this would run me if a welder had to fabricate some stuff for it? just generally speaking I mean, 500-600? or am I looking at like 1000-1200?
Your life & expense would be a whole lot less of a hassle if you had replacement trailing arm mounts. not the easiest to fabricate at all. :ugh:

4,231 Posts
Your life & expense would be a whole lot less of a hassle if you had replacement trailing arm mounts. not the easiest to fabricate at all. :ugh:
Look at this one picture:ugh:
There is a big hole under the bracket and the inner arc frame is rusted also. The jacker pipe is gone a long time before.
But good a paint work is not all.
I be very interest for more pictures from the underside :ugh:

Its not a two month welding job:no:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Take a look at Steve Daniel's Aero GT and Viny Charb's restorations to give a hint at what you'd be looking at as far as time, materials and money. If this car has an emotional attachment to you, then by all means, go the route that Steve and Vienny took. But if you are expecting an outside source to make these repairs and beyond, then that 1200 bucks will get you into their office and not much beyond!

This is an Opel GT, not a million dollar Toyota 2000GT, unless it's to be restored to the 'nth' degree, then you will lose big the money you put into this car. I go to craigs list and Ebay most everyday and there are plenty of GT's out there that may......may.....using careful scrutiny, be a better candidate for whatever you want to do with it. This car, however, is a potential danger, as others rightly put it, come the next evasive maneuver or hard stop or sharp turn to avoid something ahead of you. Best wishes going forward

Mike

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
Tsk tsk tsk...

Far too many people willing to toss an Opel to it's grave.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the information, I didn't know the extent of how bad it really was. Glad I came to the experts and I'll keep you guys updated on the situation once I take it in and see what the mechanic quotes me and what exactly he would be doing. My dad's best friend is a welder and owes him quite a few favours so I'll see what he quotes me, plus i have a full parts car (i think its a 70) that I'm sure I can take some necessary pieces off of.

·
Can Opeler
3,764 Posts
Tsk tsk tsk...

Far too many people willing to toss an Opel to it's grave.
I have to agree with you. This guy clearly has a very drivable Opel maybe even a daily driver it would be a shame to throw that away if it's possible to fix cheaply. You can't tell from this picture whether the car is completely rotted all over. I've learned over my limited experience that rust is unpredictable and not always symmetrical. One side seems to always rust more than the other.

A lot of the guys on this forum won't be around when there are almost no Opel gt's left, but I might still be here when last few Opels start to die off. I don't want that day to come too soon!:)

Reactions: Frozen Tundra GT
1 - 20 of 34 Posts