Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only thing that bugs me about my 73 GT is the fact that when I shut the doors, it sounds like a clanking tin can. This may have been discussed before on here but is there a way to get the doors to shut like a car door should shut? I had a 69 GT that the doors shut like a more modern car.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,348 Posts
Okay, let's start with:
Rusty hinges?
Do you have healthy rubber around the doors?
Healthy rubber around the windows?
Rubber bumper on the body at the top of the door?
Is the bottom of the rear window track still tack welded to the body or has it become detached, like on most GTs?
Do you still have the rubber bumper at the back of the door latch on the body?
Does your door rattle when you drive? Check latch alignment.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SciFi... You know, I'm not sure there is a rubber bumper at the back of the door latched that is attached to the body as in your picture. I'll have to check that. I never noticed that before. But as for your other questions, I have all good rubber around the doors. Does not rattle when driving. Replaced window guides, etc. Just sounds like a tin can when closing.

But I'll check the rubber on the latch. I'll let y'all know what I find... Thanks for the reply's.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sometime I think Opels can just be possessed. I've been trying to figure this out for over a decade. My doors have everything new that can be replaced, nothing loose anywhere, perfect hinges and alignment. The passenger door shuts smooth, solid and quietly, but the drivers door sounds like a hundred year old dump truck when I close it. Very frustrating! I also have a secondary annoyance that has plagued me since I've had the car. It's a vibration that only shows up in top gear below 50 mph under anything more then slight acceleration, getting worse the more throttle given. Including the original driveline, I've had this same exact vibration thru 3 engines, 4 transmissions, 4 driveshafts, 2 rear ends. All with virtually nothing in common with each other. Also 3 different sets of tires and wheels, conversion from torque tube to torque arm rear suspension and countless engine and transmission mounts.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,348 Posts
Dynamat or butyl firewall/sound proofing stuff sounds like a good idea. I think all GT doors have a section of something like that adhered to the center of the skin of the door. It seems pointless and out of place there, but it must be there for some sort of sound dampening reason, so that the doors don't sound like tin cans when you close them.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Sci Fi... I checked the rubber piece inside the latch mounted to the body and it's there. Maybe I'll line the inside with the sound deadening material and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts