Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm finally ready to have the gt repainted and the shop has requested that i remove as many items as i can (bumpers, lights, handles). i'm also planning to take out the front and rear windows but i wasn't sure if i should mess with the trim around the door and pop-out windows. sounds from other posts like they can be finicky to take out in one piece and breakable to put back. worth removing or leave in place? any hints?

bob

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
Any reason why you couldnt tape those sort of things up yourself to avoid overspray? ANY time consuming move you make at this point will save the body shop the hassle thus saving you $$$. I know for a fact that removing or installing those trim pieces is a hassle, and almost always causes some sort of damage(dings,scratches etc.) Do as much of the prep work yourself as you can.....its your car,and the only way you'll have satisfaction is doing things like that yourself. I'm no painter.....so I dont speak from expierience,just my 2cents worth. So take it with a grain of salt if you will.
HTH
Joe

·
Opeler
856 Posts
I would gauge my efforts to coincide with my budget. If you are doing a Maaco type paint job, then mask everything. That's all they will do in their shop. If, on the other hand, you are getting a full tilt, professional paint job, then take off everything. Your efforts will pay off, and you'll get to know your car better.

Wes

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah, take the trim off. after 30 odd years all kinds of nasty
stuff has collected underneath. Slow and easy, that's the
ticket. Once you pop the first trim holder the rest will come.
The retainers are little plastic pieces that will release with
a little help. I just took all my trim off so have plenty if you
break any. Take out the glass and get new strips. Study it
a while. Lubricate with soapy water or WD40 and the new
strips will jump willingly into their new slots. A major labor
expense is getting the car ready to paint. The actual laying
on of color takes no time at all compared to getting it ready.
Anyway, that's what I'd do. Strip it....

·
New/Old Owner 1973 GT
860 Posts
Does anyone have a step-by step of the door trim removal, especially the chrome trim at the base of the glass that is attached to the glass scraper and window channel?

Pictures would be great. I took one out of my donor door, and ruined it. I want to replace it with the on in the car, but am trying to do as little damage as possible.

Thanks,

Jim :cool:

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
Does anyone have a step-by step of the door trim removal, especially the chrome trim at the base of the glass that is attached to the glass scraper and window channel?

Pictures would be great. I took one out of my donor door, and ruined it. I want to replace it with the on in the car, but am trying to do as little damage as possible.

Thanks,

Jim,
In order to remove the trim with the window scraper on it you have to carefully hammer it off. I did this by placing a long block of hardwood against it and hitting the hardwood with a hammer. I slid the hardwood along the length of the trim and hammered away so that the trim never bent but was just nicely pryed off of the body.
I put it back on the same way.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
GT part disassembly details (including outline views of preparation for painting) are available within the March-April 2009 issue of the OMC Blitz, including individual sections on removing rear body, quarter-window and door-window trim.

·
New/Old Owner 1973 GT
860 Posts
Jim,
In order to remove the trim with the window scraper on it you have to carefully hammer it off. I did this by placing a long block of hardwood against it and hitting the hardwood with a hammer. I slid the hardwood along the length of the trim and hammered away so that the trim never bent but was just nicely pryed off of the body.
I put it back on the same way.

Excellent! So you do this with the door panel removed and from inside, correct?

Thanks!

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
Excellent! So you do this with the door panel removed and from inside, correct?

Thanks!

I believe I did it with the entire door disassembled, the scraper trim was the last piece I took off and the first piece I put back on. Since the window scraper is on the outside of the window you have to remove the trim by hitting it from the outside (toward the inside of the car). Be careful of the ends, that is where it wants to bend because it overlaps the verticals of the window door frame. I hope this makes sense to you.

·
New/Old Owner 1973 GT
860 Posts
I believe I did it with the entire door disassembled, the scraper trim was the last piece I took off and the first piece I put back on. Since the window scraper is on the outside of the window you have to remove the trim by hitting it from the outside (toward the inside of the car). Be careful of the ends, that is where it wants to bend because it overlaps the verticals of the window door frame. I hope this makes sense to you.
The sluminum trim is nearly flush with the outside of the door, that is why I thought to hit it from the inside. How did you catch the lip, and tap it out from the outside without damaging the trim?

Sorry for being so dense.

·
UngerDog
1,314 Posts
Pry off the corner trim piece with a small screwdriver and remove/drill out the rivet. You can replace the rivet with a small screw later.

door trim removal 001.jpg

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
The sluminum trim is nearly flush with the outside of the door, that is why I thought to hit it from the inside. How did you catch the lip, and tap it out from the outside without damaging the trim?

Sorry for being so dense.

Unless I mock this up and take a picture for you I have described it the best I can.

·
UngerDog
1,314 Posts
Work the rubber window track molding out of the trim with a small screwdriver. Once you get it going, you can most likely just pull the trim away by hand. Then you can remove the window track molding. There are metal clips that keep it in place. A small screwdriver can help to wedge them out.

door trim removal 002.jpg

·
UngerDog
1,314 Posts
With a piece of wood and a mallet, bang the trim inwards. Start in the center and move closer to the ends. You don't hit the ends though.

door trim removal 003.jpg

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts

·
UngerDog
1,314 Posts
Then you reach to the bottom of the trim end that is inside the door and rotate it by hand so that the end will clear the vertical door frame. Work towards the front of the door in this fashion until the other end clears.

See post #22 for photo.

·
UngerDog
1,314 Posts
Thanks, photos help. For some reason my last photo isn't showing up. I see the wording "Attachment 32169" but no thumbnail and clicking on the wording directs me to a page that says "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Any one else see that? I'll try to just edit my post.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts