Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm intent on installing an LS1 into my recently aquired '73 GT and so have searched for detailed descriptions of another's successful frame modifications to withstand 350-600lb.ft. of torque in an Opel GT. I've found mentions of V8 conversions on the Net and in "The Blitz," but no specific info on frame strengthening; and I'm sure much more work will be required on the frame than engine/transmission mounting.
I'm not interested in drag racing; I'm aiming for a 0-60 time of around 3.5sec. for a car capable of competition, but used mostly for every-day, high-traction fun. And so, aside from suspension modification, I must determin the correct placement, thickness, and shape of sub-frames to minimize weight gain and provide necesarry strength.
I have no experience with frame work (though for automotive in general, I have restored -body-off- the Datsun 240Z I drive regularly), so I've bought these books: Chassis Engineering, Metal Working Handbook, and Race and Rally Car Sourcebook. I invite any informative comments you may like to make. I've got plenty of time till I'll have the time to begin cutting and welding, and won't do anything till I determine what should be done.

- Sean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found that S&W racing produces a 8-poin roll-bar and a 10-point roll-cage. Does anyone know of a GT with one? S&W is also in the process of making a full tube-frame for the GT, but this may be overkill for less than 600HP.

Also, at www.trappeauto.com there is a GT with a narrowed rear live-axle and a roll bar. I'm curious about the long-term results of such projects - to know what has worked well with high HP engines.

- Sean

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.