Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
front clip

I purchased a 72 gt with a damaged front clip. I have a 73 front clip off one that the rear is damaged. What is the easiest way to replace the front end?
any one have pictures? do wheel wells come of with it or leave them on?

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Having completely disassembled a GT body and putting it back together as a "skin only" body on a race car, I'm seriously doubting that there is an "easy way" to swap front clips. I'd say it is a major body shop job. That front end is incredibly well attached to the car, just getting it off intact was frustrating.
I suggest you look at one of the fiberglass front ends that are available.
But remember, anything can be done! Can't both cars be fixed? Are they both wrecked that bad?

· Registered
616 Posts
i'm replacing the back end on my 69 with one from my parts car the rear end has accident damage that couldn't be fixed without extensive hours of pulling on a frame rack, from the sounds of it it would be easier to replace the back of the other one, all you really need besides basic body work tools is an air chisel, a drill and a welder, but i'm sure you'd be using those to replace the front anyway. just a thought

· Registered
616 Posts
thats the hard part with the front, you have you make the cuts in the right spots, with the back if you just separate it on the seams then you'll know where it attaches, just drill some new holes, get it fitting right then plug weld it and the hard parts done

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Interesting. I'd like to know more, see more. Only about a mile from here are two GTs with Lylebig's Syndrome. Can they be saved? Maybe! If I have to do it I'm gonna copy Dallas' roadster. I love that car! :) And am hooked on Opel GTs now...
Let's make an Article about how to do this-start gathering photos and stories!

(last edited by jeff - reason: soybean's typing. electric shock side-effects?) :D

· Opeler
171 Posts
This operation is something that I'm going to be facing not too far down the road, so...thanks in advance for the pictures and info that is already here and that which is to come!

Bill B.

· Administrator
10,465 Posts
I scrapped a GT once that was reconstructed by grafting 2 GT's. They used the roof and rear half from one and connected it to the other at the top of the windshield post and along the floor right behind the seats at the base of the shelf.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Front & Back

There are some pics in my gallery showing the repair and replacement of both front and rear sheet metal. I was fortunate in that the radiator suprot bulkhead was OK on mine and most of the front end reconstruction was forward of that. Still a fairly extensive repair. Hope the pics help.

· Registered
132 Posts
I would first ask myself "is this job something I am capable of?" If you don't have all the right tools and experience, I would take it to a body shop.

The short answer to your question, having replaced a nose and driver front fender, is try to get away with just replacing the skins. Don't remove the inner fender if you dont have to. Seperate everything at the seems if you can.

As I can recall, I spent days drilling out spot welds so that everything would come apart in good shape. I don't recommend sawsalls because they shock the metal too much. Plasma cutter make quick work of most things but watch out for what behind it when cutting.

Good luck

· Senior Contributor
695 Posts
Chopped and Channel

Having chopped and channelled and tubbed my GT with parts coming from a perfect parts car body, I can only say that it is a lot of work and not all that easy. And if you F_ up its scrap-metal.
Changing a front clip or rear clip for that matter if not done correctly, the next time the car unfortunently gets hit, if you are lucky, you may be sitting in the road with you GT in two pieces. The GT can with stand a pretty good high-impact wreck and you can walk away, but when replacing clips if not done correctly the next time, you my not be lucky. Some things are best left to the experts who repair unibody cars an a daily basis and some of those are not the best, so check them out.

· Registered
2,731 Posts
The clip job Gary describes is how I would probably do it, and I agree with KTGT that it is a body shop job, and you know how I feel about rollbars... No less than a six point cage in this car. Looking at the stripped shell I call Parts GT I would cut the bottom across at the center of the door and use my rocker panel mods (only milder) to hold that important frame together.
I'm almost talked into going to see what's up with the two GT's near me, one munched in front, another smucked in back. See how simple it might be to use them to do a "roadster"?
One neat thing about Jarrell's method is the nose could be lengthened, stretching the car a bit which makes room for a six-banger.
Has anybody ever used the body kits I see in OGTS catalog? They look cool but I never hear a mention of them at gt.com.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.