Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you want, or need, a GT front spring compressor?

Okay, back in the day when I was the Opel Guy, at the Buick Dealer, even they did not have one.

I have always wanted one.

Today I finally made one.

As usual, I had to buy enough stuff to make three.

PM me if you want one, I can make two more.

I'm gonna base the price on your shipping cost.

Weird, but that's how I roll.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I rent one for when I decide to redo my front suspension?
I have a better idea.

Now that I'm in a little better position life wise. Not much, just a little.

I think I should start paying back some.

Like....

How about I make another spring compressor, and send it to:

Team Tiny Vette

Who can then use it to make top secret, unknown to the inspectors at lemons, modifications to thier front end, so they too can cheat em, and beat em, like them boyz at Nascar?

I bet they'd let you, and possibly a few others out there, borrow it too.

I think the other one should go to Ga for all the same reasons.

We don't need a Poll, but what does the rest of the board think of that idea?

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A picture of your front spring compressor would be helpful.
If my computer ever decides to recognize my cellphone again, I have a ton of pictures waiting to go up.

This weekend, I have my puter guru coming over.

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
I bet they'd let you, and possibly a few others out there, borrow it too.

I think the other one should go to Ga for all the same reasons.

We don't need a Poll, but what does the rest of the board think of that idea?
You won't hear any negative answers here:no:

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I just tried mine out, and it works pretty good. But, it also reminded me, how carefull you have to be using it, because the darn thing, and the front end in general can be dangerous, if you are not carefull.

So, after thinking about it, here's my new offer.

Just like those pipes, and stuff they sell for novelty use only, I'll send out a few of these, on the condition that it's only to be used as an example of what a real one looks like.

Now if anybody actually tries to use it to work on their car, it's on you. I assume no liability. For that reason, I won't take a dime for them. If, once they are recieved, somebody wants to reimburse me for my postage, I wouldn't turn it down.

It weighs about 15 pounds, and due to the size, UPS probably has a surcharge, but, sending it ground shipping wouldn't be too much I would think. Boxing it up is gonna be a pain, but not because it might get damaged, because it might damage everything else in the truck.

As for the liability, I'm not worried about the tool breaking, it's plenty strong for the job, it's just that you have to be carefull as all heck with that spring under tension.

Although, if your front end is still bolted in the car, it's not as bad as the way I just did it, laying on the ground. I'll save my crying about the condition my front end is in for my other thread.

I'll update when I have more to tell you.

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
It weighs about 15 pounds, and due to the size, UPS probably has a surcharge, but, sending it ground shipping wouldn't be too much I would think. Boxing it up is gonna be a pain, but not because it might get damaged, because it might damage everything else in the truck.
Well, if you decide to send one to GA, let me know, I can send a UPS tag to ship it here, shipping won't come out of anyone's pocket.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, if you decide to send one to GA, let me know, I can send a UPS tag to ship it here, shipping won't come out of anyone's pocket.
You guys are making me change my mind more than a woman buying shoes.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who has lusted over one of these for years. Some of you want one to use, at least once, and some of you want one for your very own.

Now, I made mine, using some steel, that My great amigo Pedro, had left over from a job, at his Steel Fabrication shop. Actually, that's what made me even think of it, because he has all these pieces of Steel, of a certain length, and size, and type, from that project.

Now, here's the reality of it:

I spent about twenty bucks out of pocket for the stuff I had to buy, and spent about 5 hours, making it work. Pedro did not charge me for the metal, for mine, because, well, that's the way Pedro is. He also did not charge me for the welding.

The other reality is, I know what I could sell these for on Ebay, and I'd be a fool to sell them without Liability Insurance, and that would add at least $75 to the cost per item, just like ladders. Seriously, this is a $300 dollar tool, if you could still buy it from Kent Moore, (GM's Tool Supplier) it would be $500.

So I went back and talked to Pedro, and we discussed, the price of Steel. Steel as in, He was gonna scrap it at ten cents a pound, versus, Steel he bought at market rates. The same for the welding. Even though, I'll do the labor, and doing a batch would be easier, still, there's costs.

Helping out his friend, (me) is one thing, doing a batch, as a job out of his shop, that's another.

So, here's what I'm gonna do.

Next post.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Group Buy.

Gene? Send me a UPS label for a package 34 inches long, six by eight inches high, and wide, weighing 15 pounds. Everybody else, use those dimensions to figure your shipping cost from 75235. Gene, would you also let us know if UPS charges an extra fee for those dimensions?

Liability? Screw that, it makes me sound like such a wuss. If you buy the tool, and you get hurt, good luck suing me, I have nothing except a rusty GT, and two cats. If you really push, the border is not that far away, and muy espanol improves daily.

Directions, basic front end safety tips, and how to? My computer guy is coming tomorrow, I'll provide sheets with pics, maybe even a DVD video. But you are on your own, be darn carefull darn it.

How many I make is up to you guys. The way the parts I need to buy works out is in batches of three. Pedro has enough Steel left over to easily make another dozen, maybe another three.

This is a One Time, Offer. You guys, this Forum were pretty nice to me, when I was in a spot, and the support I got here, not to mention the packages arriving on a regular basis made a difference in my life in more ways than I can describe.

So I need a show of hands. Who wants one?

Before you answer, read my next post.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
The Ga gang will swap out spring compressors if need be.

Tell ya what....put your John Hancock on your tool...:yup:

Must have one of the signature series.

And well return the favor with one of these super special tools.

spring compressor.jpg

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have enough stuff already to make 2 more.

The GA gang, is getting one, Gratis, for what they sent me, I should have it chrome plated. Seriously, I owe them boys.

Gordo? If you're reading this and you want one, chrome plating is extra.

Team Tiny Vette is getting the other one, for free, (that's what Gratis means). Not only do I support them, and would love to sponsor them in some way. They helped me, and so did Alex, the Artist, who just wants to rent one once. Besides, if they do the front spring over, they might get faster. "Go Tiny Vette!"

I figure, those are going to be pass around, loan out, versions. That's just fine with me.

I also expect, that Gil, will be getting a bunch of orders for Poly bushings, ball joint covers, spring ends, and such, now that it's easy to do. That's just fine too. I'd appreciate if you bought your parts from Gil.

BTW, PM Rally Bob, if you want some HDPE to line your springs, rumor has it he's having a sale on it. I think he said $25.00 bucks a set for enough to do one spring, but don't hold me to that.

If anybody wants one for his own personal, toolbox. Or if a couple guys in someplace else besides, GA, and Northern CA want one.

The price is.

$75.00 plus postage, (not shipping), I'll have to make a box, which is a pain, pay Pedro, do all the work, and shipping means the cost of making the box, which is gonna take an hour a box. I'm not charging for that, this is a basically break even, and a 12 pack price.

For you guys in Europe, or anybody who wants to make his own, and has access to a welder, and scrap metal. I'll send the directions, and a basic blueprint for $10.00. That covers my time and trouble, postage, and inkjet printer, cost.

If I get at least two orders, to buy one. I'll make a third one, and send it to Gary or somebody going to Carlisle, and it can be given away as a raffle item, sold at the tent, or passed around to whoever needs it.

Or it can sit on a table at the Opel tent, and everybody, can look at it, measure it, take pics, and go home and make your own.

Oh, and fair warning. I might, or might not go to Carlisle. But there is gonna be some "Opel Jim," stuff there.

This is just the start.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Enginenered in 30 min. Built in 30 min, with scrap around the garage. Worked great.
Hell you can build it out of wood using 2x4s!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Gene? Send me a UPS label for a package 34 inches long, six by eight inches high, and wide, weighing 15 pounds. Everybody else, use those dimensions to figure your shipping cost from 75235. Gene, would you also let us know if UPS charges an extra fee for those dimensions?

UPS has a "measuring chain" that they use to determine what a "standard" package can be, but, in reality, they ill accept most anything. I have sent 2 GT floor pans, cut right out the car, wrapped cardboard on the sharp edges and UPS loaded them on the truck.
Just in case I have misplaced it, PM me your address and I'll print the label tomorrow and send it out to you on Saturday.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Enginenered in 30 min. Built in 30 min, with scrap around the garage. Worked great.
Hell you can build it out of wood using 2x4s!
On the one hand, that scares the hell out of me, you Kanadians, eh?

Wood, are you nuts?

And I was worried about Liability?

Well, if I lived in a Country with free health care, eh?

Two, if you make it so it sits on the other side of the front suspension, that eliminates the problem of how to take apart and replace the middle clip on a GT front spring.

You'd have to make the threaded rod part longer, but it would make doing the grab part easier.

Plus, you could cut off the original center piece on the spring, and not worry about reusing it.

Hmm, my original offer still stands, but...

Back to the drawing board.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
If you want to know how to build one that probably doesn't need liability insurance, then take a look at this thread

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/3a-fro...uspension-leaf-spring-compressor-removal.html

Using it did make me pucker a bit but that was before I realized that the spring actually only has a few hundred pounds of pressure on it. And one would have to realize that I did actually almost lose my fingers on a Ford Ranchero spring replacement job.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you want to know how to build one that probably doesn't need liability insurance, then take a look at this thread
Without even looking at that, and I will.

My version of the tool is not going to fail, or leave me in a Liability position.

But, doing front end work on GT, is potentially dangerous, which has nothing to do with my tool. It's easy to get hurt, it's easy to find some bloodsucking shark to try to sue somebody.

If you use this,or any tool to work on the front suspension of a GT, Use your head. Think, if that popped loose, should I be standing here?

Regardless, I am going to redesign, the tool. It will be safer, and resolve another problem I was having. I am waiting on a response from RB, before I finallize it.

If I'm gonna make ten of these, I'm gonna make good ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Without even looking at that, and I will.

My version of the tool is not going to fail, or leave me in a Liability position.

But, doing front end work on GT, is potentially dangerous, which has nothing to do with my tool. It's easy to get hurt, it's easy to find some bloodsucking shark to try to sue somebody.

If you use this,or any tool to work on the front suspension of a GT, Use your head. Think, if that popped loose, should I be standing here?

Regardless, I am going to redesign, the tool. It will be safer, and resolve another problem I was having. I am waiting on a response from RB, before I finallize it.

If I'm gonna make ten of these, I'm gonna make good ones.

Hey mate - I am new to the site and starting to look at taking out my front suspension - are you still making the spring compressors?

Would love one shipped to Ontario Canada if poss and would gladly pay you for your trouble.....

Many thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts