Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i got fed up with trying to get my doors fitting properly, so i moved onto electrical problems that i haven't touched in months

this one has me completely stumped... when i first put my electrical system back in the car, the turn signals or running lights... or both, whatever that one does (the ones with the weird shaped lense on the corners, not the fog lights) worked once, just once, i used the right signal, then the left, and they both worked, then the next time i tried it they wouldn't work, so i thought, whatever, i'll work on some of the million other electrical problems that have since been fixed and i forgot about it, until today

ok, so you, me and anyone else with any electrical system experience would think bad ground right? well its not, its grounded fine.

next: maybe the bulb burnt out... i check it, strike two, both bulbs are good and worked when i put them in other lights

ok, lets try something else, i track down where the wires go to the fusebox, use a continuity tester, make sure they're not broken somewhere on the way to the light, no breaks, perfect connection everytime, hmm, maybe a switch or something screwed up and stopped sending voltage, turn on the parking lights and check for voltage on the fuse that the lights are connected to, hey look, its got +12V, so i leave the switch on, test the end of the wire, BAM! it has +12V too!. awesome, problem fixed i guess, i hook it back up and theres no light, take it off and test for voltage again, and theres nothing at all at the same spot that had it not 10 seconds ago, check the fuse box again and it still has +12V. and the end of that wire never saw voltage again

strike three, i'm out :(

does anyone know how it is possible, that at the fusebox, it can have +12V, then at the end of the wire (which has <10 ohms resistance, nearly perfect continuity to the box) it can have 0.00V?

sometimes i feel the need to rip out the whole system and design my own... this is definately one of those times :mad:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
How old is the wiring? If it is the original wiring, I would run an auxiliary jumper wire from the fuse to the light by-passing the old wiring to see if it works that way. If it does, then you know what you have to do- right? :cool:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
First off, the curved amber lites just above the front bumpers are not turn signals originally, unless they were changed by you or the dreaded PO. They are only clearance lites and get 12 volts only with the parking lite switch in the instrument panel or from the headlite relay behind the fuse panel. If you got voltage to the lites from actuating the turn signal lever, then for sure there is a crossed circuit along the harness somewhere. What you described as fog lites, which are the ones below the front bumper, outboard of the bumperettes are the turn signals, again in the original configuration, unless they were changed. HTH.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i forgot to mention, its a '69, so the wiring is slightly different than most... or is it supposed to be the same for every year?

i was going to try a jumper wire, but i couldn't find anything laying around there that was long enough, i'll try it next time i go

1 - 4 of 4 Posts