Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Non Civilian
2,092 Posts
hey dave I'm game for some of that wire if you want to get rid of it.

·
tomking
2,491 Posts
I will try to describe how you go over the plastic piece. There are two small posts on each end of the piece. The wire laces through each one. Lace through the first side, then lace UNDER the lip in the middle of the plastic piece, on the side of it, then back up to top of plastic piece and throught the second set of posts on the other side. SO, up thru posts on end on first side, down under lip in middle of plastic piece and then through posts on second side and down. A little bit difficult to describe.

·
1,219 Posts
Actually that's a great explanation. That was what I suspected, but I wanted to make sure. How did you clean the contacts on the float? They look pretty flimsy and easily damaged. Did you simply wrap the end of the wire around the brass washer on the contact bolt?

·
tomking
2,491 Posts
Probably dont need to clean the slide contacts but if you do use very fine sandpaper or crocus cloth, or a pencil eraser. you must solder the contacts.

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
If any of you could draw it up or take photos, it would be great for future use. It would also make for a great tech article for our downloads section.

·
531 Posts
asdasc said:
If any of you could draw it up or take photos, it would be great for future use. It would also make for a great tech article for our downloads section.
Such as it is, I've tried to show the routing of the wire in green. This is a picture of the bottom of the sender. Hope I'm a better mechanic than graphic artist/photographer!

jtb

Attachments

·
635 Posts
thank you all so much for the great information

Such as it is, I've tried to show the routing of the wire in green. This is a picture of the bottom of the sender. Hope I'm a better mechanic than graphic artist/photographer!

jtb
I have found that if the sending unit looks good on the outside and bottom, no signs of rust or corrosion, then most of the time a good soaking in denatured alcohol will free up the float inside, clean the contacts and clean up/out the gunk/varnish in the can too without disassembling the unit.
You have to gently shake it a little in an up and down motion, and let the gunk/fluid drain out of the weep holes. I repeat this process until it has clear fluid coming out and then let it dry
It is not as fool proof a repair as all of you have described here but sometimes a little flushing first saves having to rebuild this part.
Just make sure the float goes up and down on the wires by turning it upside down then right side up ( you can hear it traveling inside the can) after it is cleaned and dried out. Test it first before installing it check for continuity as Keith suggested.
Happy Opel Thanksgiving :veryhappy

·
392 Posts
I have to bring up an old thread but I need some wire for my sending unit. I know " the person whos name shall not be mentioned" had some but I am hoping that someone still with us might have some. Or point me in the direction of a spool of this wire. My old VW also has this same sender and I need to repair it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

·
531 Posts
I know " the person whos name shall not be mentioned" had some but I am hoping that someone still with us might have some.
Lord Voldemort supplied nichrome wire? Just kidding, I know what you are referring to. Opel GT source sells the wire if 'nobody' else has it. (It might not appear in their catalogue, but just phone them to order).

HTH,

jtb

·
Rookie
50 Posts
I just repaired two units last week. The main problem encountered is as previously stated which is a bad ground. The only way to repair the bad ground is to carefully grind off the rivet, clean all the copper parts and the top of the sender unit, and then replace the rivet with a screw. As far as the wire goes, I noticed when browsing for VW part on midamericamotorworks.com that there is a VDO sending unit for 70's vintage VW's that looks almost exactly like the Opel unit. I would think that the internals would be the same since it's for a VDO gauge. If I could not fix mine I was going to buy one of those units and try to make a good Opel unit using the parts as necessary. Fortunately, I got mine working perfectly.
Has anyone tried using one of these VW VDO sending units in their Opel? I've seen a few for sale recently, and the pictures look just about identical to the one I pulled from my GT. Mine seems close to being coroded beyond a good cleaning, so I'm wondering if a VW sending unit will work. Thanks!

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,409 Posts
This looks close, but looks can be deceiving:
sending unit

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
I just repaired two units last week. The main problem encountered is as previously stated which is a bad ground. The only way to repair the bad ground is to carefully grind off the rivet, clean all the copper parts and the top of the sender unit, and then replace the rivet with a screw. As far as the wire goes, I noticed when browsing for VW part on midamericamotorworks.com that there is a VDO sending unit for 70's vintage VW's that looks almost exactly like the Opel unit. I would think that the internals would be the same since it's for a VDO gauge. If I could not fix mine I was going to buy one of those units and try to make a good Opel unit using the parts as necessary. Fortunately, I got mine working perfectly.
If anyone tries to repair a unit as I did using a screw don't forget to use sealer around the screw and under the contact, otherwise you might get fuel seepage through the screw as I did.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts