Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
I have seen several GT´s with either the round dune-buggy type gas tanks or with a standard race car type fuel cell. The buggy style one is much cheaper, and now available cheaper still in plastic, but with a fuel cell you can get the added piece of mind and in an accident. Spring for a rollover check valve type filler adapter, some foam to minimize sloshing, and add a little tubing and no one will know the difference except you. Expect to pay $75 or so for the buggy type, and $200 for a fuel cell from Summit or Jegs. If you spring the extra $60 or so when you buy the fuel cell and get a metal encased one, you might free up enough room and feel comfortable with putting the battery in the back too.

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
Does anyone use a fuel cell for their street-driven Opel GT or have any suggestions for swapping a fuel cell for the stock GT tank?

Thanks,
Bob

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
gas tank

i have bougth a used gas tank for my gt i am using that right now but am looking into getting a fuel cell but do not now what brand or dimensions of which i should get. i would be willing to spend about 300 to 350 on this project any ideas????

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
fuel cells

those two places have some nice fuel cells but the one i found i would get from that first site is about a 1000 bucks. then i found anthor on there for about 670 and that sounded a little better. i would be willing to spend the money for the quality

·
Opeler
53 Posts
Just last weekend I had to yank my tank because sediment poured through a hole in the tank strainer and plugger up my fuel filter and carb. When I got it out, I found it was full of rust and junk. I am opting to have it cleaned at a radiator shop and have the inside coated with a plastic stabilizer coating. Price for the service was quoted at $75 - $85. This will give me a steel tank with a plastic lining that should never rust up again and any loose particles will be bonded to the coating. The strainer screen will be removed from the tank outlet and be replaced by an additional viewable fuel filter in the engine compartment.

OpelMutt and the FrankenOpel

It may not say Opel, but it still fits. . . sorta

·
Registered
6 Posts
fuel tank

I've got a gas tank in my opel (1970) that is pretty bad off. Its rusting inside and has some holes on the top where the rust has eaten through. Not sure if I should try and salvage the tank or if I'm better off trying to find another tank to substitute for it (for instance the dune buggy tank!). Where is the best place to look for a compatible tank? thanks

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
You'll see everything you need in the way of a fuel cell in Jeg's. You'd need the filler neck but I don't know if you can get a sender unit AND filler neck both on a fuel cell. Some, like my Fuel Safe unit, have a big plate on top that you could add a filler neck and sender to, I don't see that one in Jeg's.
If you want to look, touch and smell one go to a speed shop that deals with race cars, they'll have some.
Fuel cells are the ultimate in safety, if that is a concern, especially when the tank is somewhat "inside" the car with you, something I don't approve of...

·
Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
Garcia;
You're in luck, I uncovered a GT tank in real good shape, when I recently moved my Mom. I'm on the east side of Atlanta, just past Stone Mountain if you want to replace your tank.
Gene

·
Registered
6 Posts
gas tank

Gene, thanks for getting back to me. I'm actually just down the road in Auburn Alabama. If you wouldn't mind sending me some more details like what kind of condition its in and how much you're asking for it I may even be able to come by and check it out. I'm just starting with the whole restoration thing so this is really exciting for me.
Caesar

·
Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
Garcia;
I don't know what year GT the tank came out of, but, there's no difference. There is a slight dent in the front of the tank (not noticeable since entire tank is inside the car) but, it doesn't diminish the capacity of the tank. There are no holes or rust on the tank, but, I would have the tank cleaned and sealed just for kicks. I can provide some pics if you PM me your e-mail
Gene

·
Senior Contributor
4,997 Posts
how much r stock gas tanks
Tanks are not available new, you have to rebuild what you have or find a better one from another car.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,527 Posts
Have a copy made

I had an aluminum copy made: $499. Having one made is the only way to get anything near the tank capacity of the original tank and assure that you'll never have to deal with rust clogged fuel filters ever again. You don't lose your spare tire area and everything will hook up just like the original. No rig jobs. Stainless steel or fiberglass are options also. See my thread:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/fuel-tank-lines-filters-venting/22253-new-aluminum-fuel-tanks.html

You could try eurethane tank lining kits. I think the stuff is called Kreem. I didn't have good luck with that, due to a severely rusted tank, plus it's a bitch to clean the funk out of the bottom of your tank, but a lot of members have done their's with the stuff. Or you might be able to find a radiator shop that will do it for you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts