Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just having a good look over the GT I just bought and realised that the Headlights come on with the Tunnel Lever, regardless of the position of the Switches on the Dashboard. Is this normal, or does it sound like someones messed with the wiring???

I was thinking of getting one of Destec's wonderfull Wiring diagrams, but the PM I sent him about a week ago is still not read.

****ADMIN, is there not a way for a warning window to popup when you have a private message waiting?****

The problem is, I'm in the UK, an he doesn't seem to accept Paypal :(

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
hi azzi
yes the lights turn on by the lever on the tunnel thats normal

yes there is a pop up when you get a PM i'll send you 1 to show

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So its supposed to be like this? The lights turn on when you move the Level regardless of the position of the switches. Why have the switches on the Dashboard if they don't do anything?

Also the PM diodn't work, all I got was a number one for mail in my box on the top right of the homepage, No popups, No nothing.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
the dash switches are for side light s and fogs
and have you enabledpop up the pop up in PMs in your user cp [options]

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Azzi, J. J. Wheatley of DESTEC, normally does not answer PM from this site. Go to the members button, top of the page, click on it, go to page #4 of the "D" list and send him an e-mail, not PM. It may take a couple of days for him to answer, he is a busy guy, building lots of electrical stuff for us Opelers. But, getting one of his products is well worth the wait.

Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats exactly what I wanted to ask him, I've noticed a few nice items on Ebay that he sells, But as I'm fairly new to this Forum I'd be interested in knowing what else he does.

Obviously I think his Wiring Diagrams look excellent , I want one of those.

The Digital Clock is great, but mine works.

And the LED rear lights look perfect, but I'm interested in knowing if he does the indicators too.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Azzi, If you are referring to the front turn signal lights, I think he is either working on that or has plans to, I'm really not sure. I do know one thing, though, when I e-mailed him with questions about the power panel I'm building for my V-6 swap, he came up with a lot of help for me. I tried some of the things he suggested and because of the material of what I found locally, I couldn't use his suggestion, although if I would have found what he suggested made from more robust material, it would have worked out great. His schematic has been a real help in doing this power panel mod and I've used it numerous times to answer questions about wiring problems on this site and others. I've received compliments from other mechanics here that have seen the schematic, and I don't have to use a magnifying glass to read it.

Ron

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Azzi,

Anything you get from Destec will be better quality than you can find anywhere else. And, like Ron said, all his advice is well worth the time to review and consider.

I'm running the LED tail lights with a wink-B4-On feature. They are way cool! Plus, they'll never burn out. The tail-lights you saw on ebay have the indicator feature with them, if that's what you are asking.

Good luck and happy Opeling,
Chris

·
273 Posts
OK, I am back. (Library finally opened). I will look into taking Paypal. What is a PM (is that a 'posted message?')

I will be putting 4 or 5 things up on eBay this week. all in the electrical vane (or is it vein).

Building a kiosk Demo for Carlisle. it will demo the Rev B red LEDTL; the Rev B1 red LEDTL and the yellow Rev B turn signal gizzmo and 1 red led roof vent led bar. Gary will have custody of this unit when it is built (if he promises to return it to me after the show- :) - he can borrow it any time. it is starting to look cool.)

Any headlight switch questions? ask away.

JJ

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
J.J. A "PM" is a Private Message that is sent from a member on this site to another member. If you check a member's "CP", you'll see a block that says "send this member a PM" and the block above or below is to send the member an e-mail. You may have the "PM" function turned off in your "User CP". Gary may have a better explanation, I'm still learning about all this site's functions. BTW, I've got a rough drawing of the power panel hookups, if you want to check it out, it's 3 pages of a "Word" document I did on the computer.

Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply Destec.

Here in the UK its often easier to use Paypal as a payment method, the payment is instant into your Paypal account and then can be withdrawn into your normal checking account, as and when required. The only Drawback is approx 4% in charges that some sellers ADD ontop of the selling price. Ebay bought the company a few months ago, so its really the approved payment method. (But can be used for non-auction related items too.) With the facility for Pounds, Euros and Dollers, it's a nice universal payment tool.

I think the headlight problems I had were due to stupidity, I assumed the switch next to the Runninglights switch was for MainBeam. Its not ...... Its FOG lights. My car has been converted from an USA Spec So it doesn't work anymore. Hence the confusion. (I assumed that it was to turn ON and OFF the headlights, But they were wired wrongly to the IGN instead)

I do have a question about the LED lights though. I know that the Side/Brake lights will work easily enough, BUT as for the indicators I've heard that a resistor has do be placed in the system somewhere to enable the Flasher Relay to work. (Something about not enough resistance or something). Is this included in the Circuit board so its a simple installation?

Also on the rear brake lights, do the LED's show dim for side and bright for Brake, or are them split into ONLY some on for Side and ALL lit for Brake ?

And what is the Wink - b4 - Blink feature?

It seems that your "the Guru" when it comes to upgrading of the GT wiring, Do you have a HOW-TO Section anywhere on the NET to show how to upgrade the weaker parts of the GT Electrical System?

And Finally, What Items do you sell? I'm probably blissfully unaware of most of the upgrades you do.

Sorry for all the Questions, I though I may as well ask EVERYTHING whilst I have your attention. And by doing it here instead of Email, everyone else who is a newby, can get the benefit too.

Thanks

Azzi

·
273 Posts
OK. The LEDTLs (LED Tail Lights): 20 LEDs per unit. Reds glow dimly for running lights and come full ON for brake. (same LEDs)

There is a Load Resistor on each yellow LED T/S unit. One "BULB: in the front and this Load Resistor should trip any flasher. IF not I can add (1) addition load resistor on the back of the yellow boards. (1) seems to be doing the job.
Or I could mail out the extra part and you could have it soldered on. You can also add load resistors right at the tie point (on the fuse box)

hope that answers that--gotta run. I am still skittish on 'eMoney' for personal reasons. Someone else was me a few times last year and it is not funny. Maybe by Friday for playpal, I mean PayPal.

JJ

·
273 Posts
Oh, the "Wink-B4-Blink" feature. Not everyone likes it. I like it most for the Brakes lights only. Some think the T/S's look spazzy. Depends on your flasher's rep rate.

Rev B1: when you hit the brakes, RED LEDs come on for 1/10 second (and now I increased the off time) go out about 3/10 seconds and then come full ON.

Red-only 3-function (stop, tail, and turn) Rev B2 can be special ordered. With this setup, you have 4 brake lights, 4 tail lights and 2 T/S per side. Extra cost, I am affraid and the circuit is being incorporated into the Rev C boards (if they ever get made) but I can retrofit the Rev B boards to do the same thing electrically).
I call it the Manny-mod.

JJ

·
Administrator
10,231 Posts
Re: Headlight Wiring

azzi said:
****ADMIN, is there not a way for a warning window to popup when you have a private message waiting?****
That option is enabled in the User CP. Some people have elected not to use that feature.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts