Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heat vent hoses on an original GT are, of course, worse for wear now. The rubber tends to crack and they become loose, etc. I wonder what anybody has repaced these with. The two that go to the air vent at each side of the dash are especially troublesome. They don't fit well onto the plastic air duct at the firewall and the dashpad won't fit if they're too long and they keep popping off the side air vents when puttingf the dashpad back in.

I would think that there would be a good after market duct that fits on well and may even attach with large hose clamps. That would be a better design than the original and easier to work on.

Any suggestions? What have others done? Do you remember what size duct you used?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
You might try a radiator hose, but I would be leary of using a hose clamp. When I removed the dash and defroster ducts from the dash, the ducts turned to dust where the sun got to them. I have a standing order in to OGTS for a set of fiberglass replacement ducts if they can get them built again. My original hoses are in fairly good shape, considering their age. I just hope with liberal application of commercial grade Vaseline they will last a bit longer and just slip back on to the ducts. JMTCW.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
It looks to me that they evenhad trouble at factory fitting those hoses - the ones on mine had never been out but the inner ends had been folder back inside and were just held there by the dash vents. I am still considering the best replacement here to - any fixes will be appreciated folks!

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim:
Mine were folded inwards on the end towards the firewall too. Thought that was the way they were meant to be when I tried to put them on AROUND the plastic vent duct. Doesn't fit too well. The wire reinforcement tends to limit the flexibility, and stretch of the duct hose.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I have the same issue, need to get the heater to defroster vent hose. I looked on JC Whitney online, but can's get anything to come up for 2 1/2 inch flex hose. Is it called something else??? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
FRESH AIR DUCT HOSE
Bendable, non-collapsible, heavy-duty hose. Tough rubberized fabric, reinforced with spiral wire insertion. Easily cut and shaped without kinking. Withstands high temperatures to 300 degrees F. Resistant to oil, grease and water. Unobstructed air flow through all bends. 4-ft. length. I.D. sizes range from 1-1/2" to 6".

Item Description Unit SKU#ZX190350Y Price $9.99
Fresh Air Duct Hose, 2-1/2"ID
I got 2 chuncks of this stuff- one for under the dash and for my fresh air intake on the Weber and another to vent the exhaust fumes out of the garage during our Texas winter ( other parts of the country call it their fall) :cool:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
baronbors, how'd it do on the fresh air intake on the Weber? Did you use the original air intake to the hose or the one that's shown here on the board as an aftermarket? Thanks, Jarrell

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
soybean said:
baronbors, how'd it do on the fresh air intake on the Weber? Did you use the original air intake to the hose or the one that's shown here on the board as an aftermarket? Thanks, Jarrell
Jam air intake- see product review and several extensive threads on the subject
8 inches of flex tubing from Jam intake to a length of 2 and one half exhaust pipe- clamped onto a bracket I made that bolts into the old air filter threaded hole.
Exhaust pipe goes through the hole next to the radiator with a K and N filter on the end.
Love it!!! :cool:

·
Opeler
3,100 Posts
namba209 said:
>snip>
I have a standing order in to OGTS for a set of fiberglass replacement ducts if they can get them built again. My original hoses are in fairly good shape, considering their age. I just hope with liberal application of commercial grade Vaseline they will last a bit longer and just slip back on to the ducts. JMTCW.
Mike Brooks installed 1st prototype of OPGTS fiberglass replacement ducts, few years ago; attachment tabs broke off when secured to his new dash. Not sure what resolution was, but OPGTS worked with Mike on Issue.

OPGTS can not find a fabricator for replacement air defroster ducts or ?
I could probably use a new set someday.

Lindsay

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Lindsey, et.al., last time I talked to Gil about the ducts he was still trying to find the molds and get them from the person that did the originals. I haven't heard anything lately, but I do need to call them today and see if there is an update on them.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Keith may want to split this thread IDK. I talked to Dennis at OGTS this afternoon, Gil was busy with a customer, and here's what I remember from the conversation. They have about 10 sets of ducts on order, for about a year now. Numerous phone calls have not helped. What I found is, the owner of the molds lives in Scottsdale, AZ, buys and ships Opel parts to Europe. I presume the molds, about 8 of them to make one set of defroster ducts are at a fiberglass company somewhere, maybe in AZ. This is akin to what Dennis told me, OGTS owns the molds for the airdams and other stuff, but the molds are physically at the company that does the MFG of the products. So I guess the same thing applys to the defroster ducts. Maybe if someone nearby Scottsdale could nicely talk to the gentleman, production on the ducts could be resumed. And to keep this on track for the vent hoses, Dennis said that someone told him, early GM defog duct hoses were the same size as the Opel duct hoses, but not as stout, so I guess clamps may be needed, but just snug, not so super tight they will crack the plastic ducts. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Defrost Vents

Thanks Soybean, the link worked great, now I need to place the order.

I bought some fiberglass defroster vents about 2 years ago from Jim Merchatto (don't know if spelled correctly). They were about 135.00 with shipping and everthing. They look good, and sure beat the tar out of trying to find something else that works. I don't know if Jim is still carrying these, but he had them a couple years ago.

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts