Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else know that there is a Phillips screw on the back of the Horn, set into click-detents so that you can rotate it, click by click, and change the sound of your horn's pitch; and adjust it for max volume. (warning: if it works, don't fix it)

(but I had one that was dead so had nothing to loose--now it is Killer Loud)

Small range of adjustment, however. Too much either way and the electro-magnet inside Locks Up or refuses to Pick Up.

You can also grind off the rivets, clean up the contacts, have a look around to see what makes this baby tick; and reassemble it with #10-32 PHMS (or its metric equivalent)

JJ

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
I always like the idea of hiding a set of diesel truck horns in the nose of the GT, no one would expect that much sound coming out of such a little car:D :D :D

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
2 horns ..one sound?

I was wondering about this.. i bought a spare set of horns for novelty purposes and one didnt work..now i know how to fix it...

the gt has 2 horns...does a different sound come from each one?
is one a woofer and the other a tweeter?

(FYi: i am going to hook up a spare set of horns as a garge door bell... for the fun of it..power it on a spare car battery)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Sounds like fun. The PO on my GT put in a pair of plastic air horns with a mini compressor to activate them. I thought there wouldn't be enough air to continually use them, but, when one of my nieces got married, I was on the horn continuously and they never ran out of air. They've got a vicious mid decibel sound to them, just about right for the size of the car. They do draw attention to it.

Ron

·
184 Posts
Horns are a safety item to me. I replaced my GT's OEM horns with a set of Fiamm Freeway Blasters. 130dB, low tone is 405Hz, high tone is 485Hz. No more Roadrunner sounding "neep, neep"; people look around now when I hit the horn.

I'm a motorcyclist, I beleive in loud horns; I've upgrade ever bike I own. With the excellent noise insulated cars these days, automotive sound systems and the dreaded cell phone; I feel like I have to fire off a cannon shot sometimes to get someone's attention. With the small size of the GT, a loud horn just might come in handy one day.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
horns are a MUST for the GT. they're small and when in parking lots, people just dont see you and big SUVs like to run you over. old GT didnt have a horn and it sucked grinding my trans into reverse trying my damndest to get out of their way. they just dont see you!!!

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
add 2 horns

can 2 stock horns be added to the existing 2 stock horns to double the loudness?

would they be added in series or in parallel?

i assume parallel would decrease the ohms and series would double it..

i like the idea of a louder horn..but i like the stock sound

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Bucky, I would add an Otto start type relay if your going to add another set of horns. Thats a lot of amps going through the horn button ring and the possiblility of getting that ground wire hot is not a good thing, especially when it runs through the fuse panel wiring rats nest. Checking JJ Wheatley's fantastic schematic, the horns are in a parallel circuit, so all you woulkd have to do is hook up wires from the existing horn wires to the new horns. Unless they are single wire horns that had a relay to operate them initially. Then you have to pick and choose the wire to tap off carefully. HTH.

Ron

·
Driver
987 Posts
PO of my GT put in Masarati air horns. Very Loud. I love it. They didn't put in a relay as Masarati recommends witch I am finally getting around to doing. They just ran the stock wires to the compressor. It's pretty fun at the Texas Opel meets when every one is tooting their Opel horns and then I lay on mine and everyone looks.:cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can't tell you all how glad I am to hear other people have different horns on their Opels. I have 'obnoxo-horns' on mine; Ford, if the PO was correct. (Can you tell I only recently acquired my GT?) Anyway, have to agree that people just don't look and with all the rot in the car and the 'dreaded cell phone' (good one and I agree) it's nice to have a horn that makes folks look for the huge honkin' 'truck' that just blasted at them. ;)
Ging

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
more volume

i added a horn to get more attention, i left an existing horn. I added one fiamm
freeway balster. I got no respect with the stock horns.

Attachments

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
I was going to put the stock horn back on, but after reading a little, it sounds like the GT had 2 horns!?
The single horn I have on it now is off a who knows-what and sounds like crap.
Want to get the Opel sound back!
Anybody got a picture where the 2 mount?
Thanks
Lyle

·
Viking
862 Posts
Horns location

It`s a rainy day, so I just needed an excuse for going out to the garage, talking to my dear (the GT), and take a picture.:D

This is where they are located on my GT.

Attachments

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
hallgeir said:
It`s a rainy day, so I just needed an excuse for going out to the garage, talking to my dear (the GT), and take a picture.:D
This is where they are located on my GT.
Thanks, for the picture. Nice looking car, mine is red also!
I will try and find a set to replace my single non Opel horn.
I see them on Ebay once in awhile.
Lyle

·
Super Moderator
14,065 Posts
Tru-Craft said:
I will try and find a set to replace my single non Opel horn.
I see them on Ebay once in awhile.
Lyle
Lyle, I should have a set on my GT (Bonneville-bound). I have no need for them, if you want them, they're yours.

Bob

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
RallyBob said:
Lyle, I should have a set on my GT (Bonneville-bound). I have no need for them, if you want them, they're yours.
Bob
Sounds good Bob.
I am already in debt to you, so just add it to my bill.
What does the Bonneville GT need? I can do some machining to pay you off!
Don't send the horns, I need a couple other things also.
Will PM you.
Thanks
Lyle

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
Lyle,
Just in case....I rebuilt my horns so they work great. If necessary, just drill out the rivits, sand blast everything clean, paint, reassemble with stainless screws and cap nuts, Voila!. Adjust with screw to best sound. I also found that drilling out the rivits that hold the spade contacts in place and cleaning everything and replacing them with brass screws was a necessary evil in order to get them working.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.