Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Bob,,, Post up some more photo's of your GT :yup:

This GM Dealer Tag missing?

Attachments

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Mike that is interesting that your 1972 GT (I'm assuming that is what you are referring to) has the additional plate and mine is a 1971 GT with no plate. Unlike Bob's where there is evidence that a plate was there, mine has no rivet holes to indicate a plate was fastened. I'm second owner and know the history of the car, which was purchased in Bellevue, Washington. I wonder which years had the plate installed and the reason why some didn't.
Obviously it has to do with the USA, because it pertains to the Federal Standards Sticker. General thoughts???

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
Mike, were those additional plates (USA only I assume) just 1969, or did some or all 1970 GT's come with them?
Yes, Keith ..I think the GT's that came out of Bochum, Germany plant in early 68 and 69 had ""Dealer Plate"" on engine bulkhead ...Firewall nxt to Vin. Tag

and also a ""GM Emblem Square Emblem"" on rear deck under the rear window G M logo from the factory. Also has a BB Stamped into the driver front inner crossmember // B for Bochum
and I think the others are ..I'll check U ( U stands for a city in France Mum?? can't remenber now) ... The BB means that the GT was Totally made in Germany Body/engine/assembled/ the other GT's were not ....body made in France and then put on trains and sent to Germany for assembly ... As so what am have been told.
I'll post the Body Stamp/emblem

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/gt/55778-gt-body-unit-production-numbers-5.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Interesting mine to is that way, no GM badge though
Pretty awesome you all know little things like this
do these numbers match to or reference to other numbers on the car?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,973 Posts
The BB means that the GT was Totally made in Germany Body/engine/assembled/ the other GT's were not ....body made in France and then put on trains and sent to Germany for assembly ... As so what am have been told.
AFAIK, ALL GT bodies were built in France, near Paris, by French contractor Brissonneau & Lotz, although they subcontracted the "body in white" (metal stamping, assembly of the basic body structure) to another French contractor, "...Chausson, another French company that did the actual stampings. Final assembly of the bodies, including wiring, trim and paint, took place at Montataire before the cars were shipped back to Germany for driveline installation" which was done at the Opel Bochum plant, along side the Kadett. (that is from https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/brissonneau-and-lotz/).

I understand that very early Opel GT's (until early 1969 or so) were FULLY built by B&L, so perhaps that had something to do with the US Federal plates?

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
A quote from the Link:https://www.opelgt.com/forums/gt/55778-gt-body-unit-production-numbers-5.html

The U“ stand for body dedicated for the US market. In oposite to the european GT, this bodys has to have a cutout in the quarter panel for the sidemrkers.

Second:
ALL GT-bodys inclusive 12 prototypes were made in France and „usually“ also painted end equipped at the French based factory B&L. The assembling of drivetrain and axels for ALL GT happend in the german factory in Bochum.
But there is one big exeption. Doe to high costumer demand, exact 24 043 blank bodys came as „body in white“ to the german faktory in Bochum. This bodys were painted and completely assembeled in Bochum. This happend in early 69 antil the end of 1970.

So you can say the were parallel two production lines. The body Nr for both lines are independetly count and in a different way marked.
What it makes a little bit complicated ist he fact that the mark for the „second“ line (i.e. in Bochum painted and completely assembled cars) differs between 69 and 70.

In 69 it is a „BB“ after/under the body Nr. and in 1970 it is a „20“ as a prefix before the body Nr.

1969 GT from "Bochum" production line

·
Opeler
57 Posts
The „federal plate“ has nothing to do with production lines. All US spec GT until mid 69 were equipped with this plate.
In mid 69, the plate was replaced with the doorsticker on left side door.

I know two sticker version. The later one has indication for „GVWR“ and „GAWR“.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Mystery solved. I bought my GT a month ago because it's different. I like different. I retired recently and needed a project due to my inability to sit still and yes, it's a project. I cleaned up the carb and changed the thermostat so I was able to drive it around the neighborhood in second gear. Next was a new brake booster. Once I removed it I realized that it was the best time to paint behind it so I ended up painting inside the entire nose forward of the radiator support. Then I thought it was best to replace the headlight wiring before installing the booster. I pulled back the harness from it's place tucked under the fender lip. More rust so I just finished painting the engine compartment. The brake booster is still sitting on the shelf a month later. I'm almost done reinstalling the front end wiring now. One note about flexible wires for the headlights. I went to an electrical supply house and found rubber insulated cable with three 12 ga wires inside also rubber insulated. I bought 5' of it, pulled the wires out and now have all I need for $8. A previous owner bypassed the micro switch and had a switch under the dash instead. I've cleaned and lubed the headlight mechanism and have a new micro switch. Hopefully I'll have all of the lights working today.
I should thank everyone on this forum, Opel GT parts and everyone who has posted videos on youtube. You're making my GT "easy" to work on by taking away a lot of the guess work. I'll post a pic of my 31 Chevy which was my last project and a few pics of my GT. I haven't the faintest idea why the pics posted sideways. Nice to meet you all.

Attachments

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Bob is your GT a 1970? Double congratulations on being retired and having an Opel GT to work on in retirement :yup:
That is one sweet 1931 Chevrolet :haha: awesome project

·
Opeler
57 Posts
Hello Bob

Refer to the VIN on the ID tag in post #1, i estimate a production date for this GT at the end of jan 69. So it leaves the factory original with that „famous“ split front bumper which obviosly some PO in the past had been replaced with the regular one pice/solid pumper.

I am curious about the body numbers from this GT. Because this GT come off the regular B&L-line, it also has a body number at the right hand side. I´ll bet the body was produced in 68. Would you please post pics from both numbers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bob is your GT a 1970? Double congratulations on being retired and having an Opel GT to work on in retirement :yup:
That is one sweet 1931 Chevrolet :haha: awesome project
I believe it's a 69. Yeah, retirement is sweet and the Opel definitely is keeping me busy. The 31 is cool but I ran out of things to do to it. 90 years old with 500 hp. The GT will be slower but it will look cool going slow.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Bob

Refer to the VIN on the ID tag in post #1, i estimate a production date for this GT at the end of jan 69. So it leaves the factory original with that „famous“ split front bumper which obviosly some PO in the past had been replaced with the regular one pice/solid pumper.

I am curious about the body numbers from this GT. Because this GT come off the regular B&L-line, it also has a body number at the right hand side. I´ll bet the body was produced in 68. Would you please post pics from both numbers.
I'm curious. I assume you put a V8 in your Opel? If so, Bravo! I used to drag race and my first thought was to go for the power but it's a ton of work to do it right.
i found a number stamped on the radiator support. Is this what you requested?

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting mine to is that way, no GM badge though
Pretty awesome you all know little things like this
do these numbers match to or reference to other numbers on the car?
"If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention" >> For sure. Love the quote. I may add, If you made it through the day and didn't learn anything, you wasted a day.

·
Opeler
57 Posts
I'm curious. I assume you put a V8 in your Opel? If so, Bravo! I used to drag race and my first thought was to go for the power but it's a ton of work to do it right.
i found a number stamped on the radiator support. Is this what you requested?
Thank you verry much for posting the body number.
Tomorrow i will write something about this topic at the GT Body Unit Production Numbers-Threat

The GT in my avatar ist not the V8.
This ist the „other“ GT that i still own. During a 4 year period, from 1993 to 97 i realise a 3.5 Liter Rover V8 engine conversation with a different coil spring front axle. I constructed from front axle and engine cross member some kind of a front subframe whith include the rear mount from the wider A-arm and engine mounts.

That engine were original design and built from Buick and Oldsmobile in the early sixty and later produced from Rover up to 4,6 Liter. Range Rover, Morgan Plus 8, Triumpf TR8, MGB V8, TVR. All this car´s use the engine. The TVR Griffith had 5 Liter dispacement and over 300 HP. The engine is all aluminium and very light. I weigth mine and it was only 10Kg(22pounds) heavier than the original Opel GT fourbanger!

Belive it or not, but the main reason for me to do this conversation was not to gain more horsepower. But i absolut love the sound and smoothess of a V8.

After finishing the engine conversation i unfortanly crashed the car badly on a rainy day after three weeks of very nice testdriving … Since than it is my plan to bring it back to the road. 90% off the body damage is repaired but because of other projects, there was no progress in the last 10 years with the V8 GT.
The time runs fast but i do not want to give up this dream…

Attachments

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Jose did you have to make any modifications to the engine bay for that V8 engine? That looks very nice I might add :yup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts