Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i got my opels people have been telling me that the insurance rates are going to be outragous for it once its on the road since its an older 2 door sports car, and being a student that is one thing i have to worry about. i would like to know how much insurance is costing everyone else for their GT's. my insurance will probably end up being a little more than most others since i'm so young but i'd just like to get a vague idea, so if you could let me know that would be great

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
well, i'm 16, and i pay my own insurance. 100 bucks a month basically, 597.00 every 6 months.

the GT is not considered a sports car, but actually a economy car, dont get worried yet.

·
333 Posts
It depends on how you are going to insure it. For me I insure my cars as 'classic'. I supply photos of the car and we have an agreed value of the car. The rates are adjusted from there. There are limits to the amount of non-event road miles that you can drive the car but for me they are not cars that I drive every day. My Opel is a track only car but I do have a GT6 that is insured for 10k that costs me $16.00 per month as well as a couple of others that are in that range. With that I get 2600 miles per year, and unlimited event miles. What that means is that I could take the car on the Hot Rod Power tour and the miles would not count. Miles to repair shops do not count.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
As an under-25 male driver, ANY car insurance will be expensive. "Classic" car insurance is usually not available for drivers under 25, and even if it were, it is too restrictive for a daily driver vehicle.

I am not certain about Ontario, but my 19 year old daughter's insurance on her (well, my) '88 Prelude is almost $1800 per year. When I looked into the same coverage for her driving the '75 Opel SportWagon (FAR from being a sports car!), it was only a couple hundred bucks less. I also looked at eliminating collision coverage, but that only reduced the cost a couple hundred bucks. The big cost is liability coverage. Interestingly, the Prelude wasn't considered an "at-risk" vehicle, at least compared to a muscle car such as a Camaro or Mustang. I doubt that the GT would either.

Now if she were a boy, the insurance would have been almost twice as much. The neighbour's son bought her old '87 Celica, and his insurance is almost $3000 per year. And if you get a couple of speeding tickets, or have an accident that is your fault, well, you probably won't GET insurance, or it will almost double.

I am not sure about the current state of the insurance business in Ontario, but the cost of insurance here in Alberta has caused a public outcry (increased 50 % in the past three years). So the politicians have responded by reducing the allowable claim for soft tissue injuries (whiplash and such), and forced the insurance companies to revise their rates. We haven't heard the details yet (Nov 1 is implementation day), but the "principle" is supposed to be that young drivers with good records, irrespective of their age and gender, will get lower premiums. But that will probably result in higher premiums for older drivers, and ESPECIALLY for drivers with at-fault accidents or traffic violations.

HTH and good luck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
economy car you say? excellent, 100$/month is sounding pretty good since i'm your age, so in canada that would be about $150? or something like that, still pretty good for a first car :) well thanks, sounds like i should be able to keep it once its done as a daily driver

1 - 6 of 6 Posts