Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He was around 12-13 years old. 1986/87
Lets drill more holes into the fender, into the trunk lid and add more plastic. Cut a perfectly fine rear bumper in pieces and put a ton of lights in the back. What was I thinking?
But, we upgraded to 185/70/13 and to a dark gray paint. One step into the right direction.

C'mon guys and girls. Show me/us your old pictures, the way you started out. Share your story.

Attachments

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,429 Posts

Then and Now in one Pic.. :)

Reactions: B-VD900 (R.I.P.)

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
Ohhh, brrrrr. Is the GT still around?
I was a mere child playing among the pylons with my new 1973 Manta Luxus.:veryhappy

Taken with an Instamatic. We weren't even required to were helmets then.....

The second to last one is mildly lowered with Koni Reds and a Addco rear bar.

Last one is after winning in stud class on a frozen lake soloII.
Note how much hair I had then. lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
This photo from 1997, taken the day I started restoration of my '69 GT.
It had been repainted orange, a real '70s color, then black as I found it in 1991.
Looked fine from 50 feet, not so good close-up ! Now Gold as original.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
These two are from 86-87 or so. I joined the Manta A Club Berlin and saw what was going on in the Manta scene in Germany. Check out the ATS rims with 195 tires. Finally big boy rims. Got them brand new and still have them. As you can see, I spend the money on parts. The more holes I drilled into the car, the happier I was. Oh well, I was young and everything we needed was available from Opel or aftermarket from Leidinger, Zastrow, ATZ .....

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1988 we decided to install a lift kit. We got a compressor, new shocks, a switch and we could lift the back up. Lots of Manta's had kits like ths installed. It was cool in 1988.
Unfortunately, beginning of 1989, a Golf run a red light and we got hit. Sad end for a family member. We kept as much as we could from B-XC 180 and moved on with a new one. This time a Berlinetta.

Attachments

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,401 Posts
our first GT

71 GT. 19H engine. Bought used for $900 in 1975, put on about 160 thousand miles on it. It rusted out from underneath me.

Attachments

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,401 Posts
our first GT

deleted double post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1989, B-XC 180 is gone and we got a Berlinetta. B-AM 9065. All stock, in very good condition but an automatic. It would be a winter car. I put a 4 speed transmission in and took all the Berlinetta stuff off of the car and installed as much cool stuff from B-XC 180 as I could. The Kompressor, the rear shocks, 185/70, 40 dual weber for a little more power, the silver instruments ....
I learned the lesson, no more drilling holes into the body! Except of course for the antenna on the roof. I also wanted something different as usual so I extended the roof. B-AM 9065 got all the second or third choice parts but was still good enough to pass the German TUV for a few more years.
The number one parts are still reserved for B-VD 990, of course!
I sold B-AM 9065 in 1992 or 1993.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now, we are going back to B-VD990. First restauration. I think it was 88. Winter, it was cold, snow out side and only a small heater inside the garage. Brrrrr.
Rust every where. Cut all the rust away and replaced with repair pieces. Frame was still good but not perfect. I learned, no more plastic or drilling holes. The hood got a little help from a Recored D Diesel. The bumb was perfect and it was metal and since we are already welding like crazy, lets weld the hood too. The car was lowered, 205/60 tires with ATS rims, engine upgrate to 2.0 Liter with 40 dual Weber carbs and a few other things.
Also, you will see one of the last pictures of B-XC180 with B-VD990 together. On to the painter.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This was in 89. 2.0 Liter Engine with Weber carbs. Recaro seats from a B Manta.
All black and all shiny but still with the "windsplitz" on the front fender.
I don't know what that these things are called in English.
Also, still with the cut rear bumper and the stupid plate lights.
To my surprise, I actually won a trophy at a Manta A meeting in Fulda. It is on the roof of my car.

Attachments

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,429 Posts
Nice !!

·
Registered
638 Posts
nice story, must have lots of pictures handy to scan and post. So jacking the back end of the Manta would allow a lot of wheel spin and bad traction. Why was that popular in Berlin?

Ron

1 - 20 of 40 Posts