Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Engine

I have a book by Clymer Publications. It came with my 1972 GT. The title is Opel: Service * Repair Handbook and was published in 1978. It shows that there were two different set ups for the rear suspension. It shows one set up that came with the 1.1L engine and a different set up that came with the 1.5L and 1.9L engines. It shows two diagrams (on p.164 & 165 if you have the book) of the set ups. The 1.1L diagram shows the shock absorbers leaned way over and the track rod going up at a steep angle. The 1.5 & 1.9L diagram shows the shock absorbers almost verticle and the track rod almost perfectly horizontal.

In the front suspension section it states that if the car has a 1.1L engine, the front leaf spring will have two "leafs," while the 1.5L & 1.9L engine cars have 3 (p. 151)

So here is my question; my car appears to have the 1.1L rear suspension and three "leafs" up front, but I am almost positive that this car has a 1.9L engine in it. I know the previous owner (my uncle) had the engine rebuilt and I wonder if he did an engine swap in the process. Is there a way to tell what engine came with this car?

My VIN number is: 772689417
My engine serial number is: 19S-0867435*

Pete Sprenger

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
The 1.1 engine was not available in your '72 GT.

As for the rear suspension pics, a lot of times companies like Chiltons, Clymers, and Haynes will use photos generically from within the same brand of cars. It's likely they had a picture of a Manta rear suspension in there, which would explain the vertical shock mounting. All GT's had angled rear shocks, although the angularity decreases when the suspension is in full droop.

HTH,
Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if that second picture could be for the Manta because when I looked under my car I couldn't see any way that the shocks COULD be straight up and down.

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Pete, I have the same book, and what I would suggest is take the pics and drawings to be nothing more than diagrams to show you where things go in the rear suspension. What I saw in my book was not the same as on my 72 GT, but close. It just shows relative positioning of the parts. With the 19S engine serial number you have a 1.9 liter engine and with 3 leaf springs up front it's a 1.9 liter GT. HTH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts