Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a blue GT that has absolutely no rust and never had any need for body work of any kind. It is supposedly in it's original paint color. Does anybody know what the paint codes were for the blue paint colors offered for that car in 1972? I can't tell yet if it's strato blue, glacier blue, or maybe one of the metallic colors that may have been available at that time on cars sold in Germany.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Brett

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Brett,

The factory paint code should be on the aluminum plate located on the top of passenger side firewall. The paint code is in the bottom right corner, next to the embossed word "Acrylic" or "Enamel", depending on the paint type used. To cross reference it, try one of commercial paint suppliers such as

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=aclgate.bbx

When I look at 1972 (http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1972-opel-pg02.jpg , look at the text version for the code reference), I see that Glacier Blue is FF-XX (L-205), and Strato Blue is DD-HH (L-235). It also has the German and Belgian paint codes.

HTH

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bastion:
I guess that the vehicle ID plate under the hood does give the color code as L-235. When I see this color (Strato Blue?) on cars it looks to be a metallic color but when I see color chips of it on the internet and the printed version that appears in a 1972 advertising brochure that I have it does not look to be a metallic paint. I also saw a car on ebay that looked like a robin's egg blue (like glacier blue) that supposedly had the original paint (the car was bought in Germany) but the paint code relayed to me for that car was 235. What should the paint color that's on my car look like? Is it a metallic color and a darker blue?

Thanks,
Brett

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Hi!

L 235 is the strato blue. This color is metallic and it gaves no other blues in america.
In Germany it gaves also another blue called "LeMansblau"( code: 236 ). This color isn't metallic and it is more darkly than the strato blue. This color was only for the GT/J.
I have the same code ( L 235) on my GT and he was painted new in Stratoblue metallic. I find this color looks great on a GT!
So if you want the original color on your GT, take the strato blue metallic and be happy!

Bastian

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see in the engine compartment and other areas that the original color was Strato Blue. I do think that this is a very good color for this car. I haven't seen it too often either. So when I get the car repainted I'll stick with that color.

What do the numbers (on the aluminum ID plate under the hood) that occur immediately after the L-235 paint code stand for?

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
521 Posts
what type of paint to use?

any recommendations on the TYPE of paint to use on the Opel? I'm ready to start painting my engine compartment first followed by the rest of the car.

A friend of mine's uncle will be painting the car for a you-know-my-nephew price. (i.e. much cheaper than a body shop.)

I don't need to be cheap. I'll pobably order from Autocolorlibrary.com (PPG product)

thanks
~kyle

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Brett / Bastian,

I've been checking out my bible on GT info, projekt 1484 and thought you'd like a little more information.

The presentation of paint codes on the ID Plate changed depending the year of the car. Some where presented in Letter-Number form, HH-235, where as later cars may have just had numbers ie. 235. This actually paint code is known as Strato Blue, but the European paint equivilant is known as Monza Blue.

It may be an idea to get your paint supplier to make up a small batch of both to ensure that you get exactly the right colour. Many Europeans who import cars from the US state that the colour is Monza Blue.

The colour Le Mans Blue, non-metallic, although mostly associated with the Type 79 GT/J built from 1971 was actually available from 1969.

There was one other Blue available between 69-70, this being Silver Blue, with the paint code, YY-230. This is a very light blue and is also metallic

As for your interior codes it is quite likely that this will either be Black (751), Blue (711) or Buckskin (721), the later being avalailable from 1969 onwards.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry to reopen an old thread, But I thought it better than starting a new one.

Colour code "RR 751"

Can anyone find out what the original color name was?

It was imported to the UK in 1980 and says Manufactured 1969 on the Documents. Vin Plate Number is 941752948

(Vin Number checks out to be 1969)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm going to repaint my GT soon, and I'm looking for a good color. I was thinking about blue, so I was wondering if any of you could post some pictures of this strato blue color (and perhaps some of the other original colors)? Would be nice to use an original paint for such a nice car.

/ E

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Brett said:
I just bought a blue GT that has absolutely no rust and never had any need for body work of any kind. It is supposedly in it's original paint color. Does anybody know what the paint codes were for the blue paint colors offered for that car in 1972? I can't tell yet if it's strato blue, glacier blue, or maybe one of the metallic colors that may have been available at that time on cars sold in Germany.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Brett
Brett,

Here is the page of paint codes for 1972 GTs' with the Ditzler Code that most automotive paint shops will recognize and be able to mix paint for you.

Regards,

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts