Opelnut
967 Posts
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Fun with vintage Racer's

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hello, I am also in the middle of a 70 Gt build. It has been a very slow process however I’m not in any hurry. I installed a ford 9” fab rear end. Rear four link with square tube to front unibody. I have a ecotec mounted to a 4L60e trans.
Looks like your headed down the drag racing rabbit hole.

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Car was built by Gil from Opel Gt source and is a Modern replica of the Original Conrero s with a bit more modern touches
google Conrero an you will get many hits on this car and the Original in Belgium. Ones with 34 on the door are the original and 43 are this car

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Car was built by Gil from Opel Gt source and is a Modern replica of the Original Conrero s with a bit more modern touches
google Conrero an you will get many hits on this car and the Original in Belgium. Ones with 34 on the door are the original and 43 are this car
Great thanks

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,889 Posts
It depends how historical you want to get and can afford. The actual Conrero blue and yellow GT has a cross flow cylinder head that can be bought today as a reproduction part but it will set you back like $10k. I believe the Conrero also used the ZF 5 speed and that will cost you like $5k to get. So, it’s possible to build a very accurate replica of the FIA authorized racing GTs of the era but it will cost you like $30k to do it.

·
Super Moderator
14,305 Posts
It depends how historical you want to get and can afford. The actual Conrero blue and yellow GT has a cross flow cylinder head that can be bought today as a reproduction part but it will set you back like $10k. I believe the Conrero also used the ZF 5 speed and that will cost you like $5k to get. So, it’s possible to build a very accurate replica of the FIA authorized racing GTs of the era but it will cost you like $30k to do it.
By time you buy the crossflow head, valves, cam, rocker arms, intake manifolds, build a header, crossflow pistons and suitable shortblock buildup, install Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection like the originals, drysump the engine, etc., you’re looking at $35-$40k for the engine.

A replica ZF 5-speed with FIA homologated close ratio gear set is $7500, plus bellhousing and shifter.

Building the rest of the car to FIA Group 4 specs should run around $20,000 if you do it yourself.

At this prep level it would be a very fast, period correct Conrero-style FIA Group 4 legal car. Fast enough back in the day to win the under-2.0 liter class at the Targa Floria. With modern engine tweaks, brake pads, shocks, and tires, it would be faster than any Opel GT that Conrero built.

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

The Tribute Conrero next to the original in Belgium. Irmscher, original Conrero and Gerent race GT

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
By time you buy the crossflow head, valves, cam, rocker arms, intake manifolds, build a header, crossflow pistons and suitable shortblock buildup, install Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection like the originals, drysump the engine, etc., you’re looking at $35-$40k for the engine.

A replica ZF 5-speed with FIA homologated close ratio gear set is $7500, plus bellhousing and shifter.

Building the rest of the car to FIA Group 4 specs should run around $20,000 if you do it yourself.

At this prep level it would be a very fast, period correct Conrero-style FIA Group 4 legal car. Fast enough back in the day to win the under-2.0 liter class at the Targa Floria. With modern engine tweaks, brake pads, shocks, and tires, it would be faster than any Opel GT that Conrero built.
I could go the 20k to 30k for the car route. The 35k to 40k for just the engine sounds like cash down the well.
Racing cars is already a foolish endeavor.
I'd just like it to be historic legal and fast. No fun being the slowest car on the track. I don't need it to be a historical replica.
I don't know enough about the history or the time to learn it.

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive design
Brass instrument Musical instrument Gas Machine Vehicle

More Modern crossflow in tribute Conrero Getrag 5 spd instead of ZF bit easyer to aquire

·
Super Moderator
14,305 Posts
I could go the 20k to 30k for the car route. The 35k to 40k for just the engine sounds like cash down the well.
Racing cars is already a foolish endeavor.
I'd just like it to be historic legal and fast. No fun being the slowest car on the track. I don't need it to be a historical replica.
I don't know enough about the history or the time to learn it.
Unless you were competing in FIA historic racing in Europe, there’s no reason to go that route, I agree. It’s crazy expensive at that level.

But those cars were constantly evolving as the rules allowed. You could build to early Conrero specs (1971 for example), which still used the 1.9 CIH engine (albeit modified), and a close-ratio stock-case 4-speed gearbox.

Nobody says you HAVE to build to the limit of the rules. You could build a 150-160 hp 1.9 CIH and have a lot of fun in a reliable car. The Conrero CIH engine made between 185-193 hp in 1971-1972. The Crossflow engines made about 210-220 hp in 1973-1974.

That white Gerent racecar above, is making around 280 hp with a crossflow engine built with modern technology. But it costs a ton. It is fast…VERY fast. There are videos of it beating GT40’s, 911’s, etc at European tracks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Unless you were competing in FIA historic racing in Europe, there’s no reason to go that route, I agree. It’s crazy expensive at that level.

but those cars were constantly evolving as the rules allowed. You could build to early Conrero specs (1971 for example), which still used the 1.9 CIH engine (albeit modified), and a close-ratio stock-case 4-speed gearbox.

Nobody says you HAVE to build to the limit of the rules. You could build a 150-160 hp 1.9 CIH and have a lot of fun in a reliable car. The Conrero CIH engine made between 185-193 hp in 1971-1972. The Crossflow engines made about 210-220 hp in 1973-1974.

That white Gerent racecar above, is making around 280 hp with a crossflow engine built with modern technology. But it costs a ton. It is fast…VERY fast. There are videos of it beating GT40’s, 911’s, etc at European tracks.
What do you recon the racing weight of these car is?

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
The Tribute Conrero IS ALOT of Fun

Reactions: soybean

·
Super Moderator
14,305 Posts
What do you recon the racing weight of these car is?
I believe the minimum weight was 895 Kg. Roughly 1970 lbs., though I’m not sure if that includes driver/fuel etc.

Not far off SCCA racing weights for ITB, FP, and GT-lite.

·
Registered
The Young One
687 Posts
Hello, I am also in the middle of a 70 Gt build. It has been a very slow process however I’m not in any hurry. I installed a ford 9” fab rear end. Rear four link with square tube to front unibody. I have a ecotec mounted to a 4L60e trans.
Those rims are very cool.

·
Registered
The Young One
687 Posts

but those cars were constantly evolving as the rules allowed. You could build to early Conrero specs (1971 for example), which still used the 1.9 CIH engine (albeit modified), and a close-ratio stock-case 4-speed gearbox.

That white car is on YouTube here is a video.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder why no one has mentioned the 24 Hours of Lemons? ;)

I've raced a GT in that series for over 8 years. Tons of fun, very light on the rules (other than safety), 15-24 hour races covering 600-1200 miles, 75-190 cars on track, we race in rain or shine and sometimes snow, and it's cheap, relatively.

There have been quite a few Opels racing in this series - Opels of the 24 Hours of Lemons race series

Have you ever raced before? If not, get on a team as a wrench, then as a driver. If that suits you, build a car.

I also highly recommend getting as much seat time in autoX and track days as you can before starting a build.

Okay, it's not "real racing" in the way a lot of people see racing, but the racing is real.
Car Vehicle Tire Hood Wheel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've crewed a couple of times with Champcar/ Chumpcar. They always seem to come back tore up a bit.
Looks fun though.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts