Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI...

My paint shop broke my GT's radio antenna trying to remove it. I admit to be pretty hot about this at first, thinking that they were probably made of unobtanium. However, forum member "tealcarver" turned me on to this antenna on Amazon.com that looked very similar to the original Opel antenna. My research told me that it is in fact the same brand as the original GT antenna (Hirschmann).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AUMROKW?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

I ordered one, and am pleased to report that it's very, very close to the original, and for $20 it's a steal! Only the most informed Opeler would know the difference, AND it retracts fully too, just like the original!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just an FYI...

My paint shop broke my GT's radio antenna trying to remove it. I admit to be pretty hot about this at first, thinking that they were probably made of unobtanium. However, forum member "tealcarver" turned me on to this antenna on Amazon.com that looked very similar to the original Opel antenna. My research told me that it is in fact the same brand as the original GT antenna (Hirschmann).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AUMROKW?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

I ordered one, and am pleased to report that it's very, very close to the original, and for $20 it's a steal! Only the most informed Opeler would know the difference, AND it retracts fully too, just like the original!
Does it lock like the original? My dad said something about the original locking in someway. I'm not too familiar with it myself as a new Opel owner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it lock like the original? My dad said something about the original locking in someway. I'm not too familiar with it myself as a new Opel owner

Yes, it comes with a key of sorts. I haven't tried it, but it looks like a flatblade screwdriver is all you need to lock or unlock it.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
The "lock" on the antenna merely means that it is in the flush position of the antenna mast. In other words the antenna goes all the way down so none of it shows. The "key" fits inside the groove in the top of the antenna. You put the key in and turn it half ways then pull on the key and the antenna comes up. Like it was said before, only a real Opel expert would know the difference, and for 20 bucks, you can't go wrong. If you need one or want to replace the crappy one you have, it is a good deal, and a good fit.

Bob

·
Registered
89 Posts
The "lock" on the antenna merely means that it is in the flush position of the antenna mast. In other words the antenna goes all the way down so none of it shows. The "key" fits inside the groove in the top of the antenna. You put the key in and turn it half ways then pull on the key and the antenna comes up. Like it was said before, only a real Opel expert would know the difference, and for 20 bucks, you can't go wrong. If you need one or want to replace the crappy one you have, it is a good deal, and a good fit.

Bob
I just bought one, waiting on it now. The one on my gt is stuck open.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Many thanks to Cam for posting this. My antenna is broken off, and I was wondering what I was going to do for a replacment.

Lynn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts