Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here tryed the fibreglass rear panel from opel gt source?,,i have a 73 gt that has dreaded rear end damage,,i could pull the panel and try to straighten it ect but it would be A LOT of work and may not be able to get it perfect,,i was thinking of buying the replacment fibreglass one from gt source (200$) but am not sure how the quality is on it,,im also not familar with bonding fibre glass to metal,,,has anyone bought and tryed this panel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently purchased a rear end and belly pan from OGTS and they are both decent quality. I have yet to replace them, but I have come to find out that the rear panel currently on my car is a fiberglass one that was damaged when the P.O.'s son backed into something. Still, it is very solid.

Apparently, you will have to drill out the weld spots of your current panel (it looks like that was what was done to mine - other members might have more specific instructions) and then attach it with Marine Epoxy which is supposed to be very strong.

A steel rear panel would be best for the obvious reasons, but is more costly. I suppose it depends on how much you wish to invest. I feel pretty good about my $200 investment, though I might change my mind as I begin replacement.

Jim

·
Opeler
1,332 Posts
My body man told me not to get a fiberglass rear panel or belly pan to replace.I got a used one in great shape for the same price as the fiberglass one from Opels Unlimited. The fiberglass and metal expand and contract at different temperatures. Thus when one changes in temp the other doesnt. This will cause it to separate easier and cause future repairs.

Karl

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok having gone down this road I think I can answer your questions. My GT has a glass...tail end. It looks very nice and has a bit of flex that a steel one doesn't. Mine was not worth repairing with the double crease it had in it. The glass one needs some stuff like the rear light brackets from a donor and it doesn't come pre drilled for bumpers and such. I got my hands on a pretty good rear trim ring and it now looks like a stock rear.

The cutting and grafting of the glass one isn't too bad but refitting a trim ring was no small undertaking. It makes it look like stock and only me and a magnet can tell the difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well,,my gt is going to remain mostly stock i am doing some body mods to make it more to my liking,,one is to get rid of the rear trim ring and fill in /re work the area so they meet smoothly ,,(and also make more of a lip at top,,,think gt 40 ),,,so im guessing going with metal would be better for me as ill be working/reshaping that area,,i can just imagine doing all that work and have a crack form where metal and glass meet,,that would not be cool

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW they have every part i need,,how was shipping ?time and money whise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after looking at that site and doing the conversion,,a metal back panel will cost me 450$ not including shipping!!!! thats allitle on the steep side

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jaymz-

That was my point in my earlier post. I looked at Suselbeek and other places and it truly is a cost to concern ratio. I figure that since my rear panel is already fiberglass and since it seems to have held up for many years (save the break in it from the P.O.), I couldn't rationalize the metal one. My car has a bit of bodywork already on it which I don't really want to undo and redo so I know the car will never be "showroom." Therefore, $200 is better to me than $450 +.

As to the question of weight, I don't have a scale at my house, nor do I know the weight of the metal one, but the glass rear panel is very light. That might also be a consideration when thinking about safety in a rear end collision. I seriously doubt there is any protection at all provided by the glass panel.

If I had the money and resources, I would go for the metal, but since I have neither, I went with glass.

Jim.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts