Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
My GT has been in a body shop for 5 months and just about ready to be painted. The PO has drilled holes in the rear trim molding from the outside and it looks like crap. Being as how these are so rare, I bought some a adhesive chrome strip from OGTS. Has anyone had experience with these? Would you put the adhesive strip on the old molding or put in on there without the original molding? Can it be painted? Any info appreciated.

·
Senior Contributor
5,045 Posts
My GT has been in the body shop for 5 months and just about ready to be painted. The PO has drilled holes in the rear tim moulding from the outside and it looks like crap. Being as how these are so rare, I bought some a adhesive chrome stip from OGTS. Has anyone had experience with these? Would you put the adhesive strip on the old moulding or put in on there without the original moulding? Can it be painted? Any info appreciated.
I'm pretty sure the plastic stuff is designed to be put on the car with the original strip removed. I would not paint it, I don't think the paint would adhere well enough to stand the test of time. JMO

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I never thought the rear strip added much. Maybe the strip mounting holes could be plugged, sanded clean, and just painted. Wonder what that would look like. :dunno:

·
Senior Contributor
5,045 Posts
I never thought the rear strip added much. Maybe the strip mounting holes could be plugged, sanded clean, and just painted. Wonder what that would look like. :dunno:
Lots of people have done it and it looks fine if you have no other choice or just don't like/want the strip.

·
Opeler
253 Posts
My GT has been in the body shop for 5 months and just about ready to be painted. The PO has drilled holes in the rear tim moulding from the outside and it looks like crap. Being as how these are so rare, I bought some a adhesive chrome stip from OGTS. Has anyone had experience with these? Would you put the adhesive strip on the old moulding or put in on there without the original moulding? Can it be painted? Any info appreciated.
I had to look for quite a while to get a rear moulding for my Opel Gt on Ebay. Opel Gt Source sells new clipps to hold your mouldin that are attached from the inside. I think they in the process of reproducing and making available new ones. Check them out

Runs5k

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reproduction pieces aren't available quite yet per Gil at OGTS. Im kinda in a spot because the car is ready to be painted. The body guy said what he would likely do is put that chrome strip on and paint it. I would rather not use that piece, but I'm going to have to I'm afraid.

·
Opeler
1,491 Posts
In 1990, I was having my GT repainted and needed to replace that trim strip. New ones were impossible to find, even then, and I didn't want to put a rusty, used one on. I got the body shop to leave it off and reshape that area with body filler, so that it looked normal. Over 20 years later it still looks fine and hasn't come loose or cracked anywhere. I am preparing to repaint it now and will examine it more closely when I re-sand the car, but for now it looks fine.
Bob

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Here's what I did with mine, I think it looks good and there is no place for water to get in to to cause problems down the road.:yup:

Attachments

Reactions: Vincent

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Here's what I did with mine, I think it looks good and there is no place for water to get in to to cause problems down the road.:yup:
That really is the way the GT rear should have been done in the first place.

·
UngerDog
1,311 Posts
If you really want a original restoration and can find the rear trim for whatever cost, go for it. I think the removal of the trim and filling it smooth is what most owners would do. I actually don't like the look of the chrome substitute.

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
I actually don't like the look of the chrome substitute.

That is one reason I did that, I didn't want to put plastic on there.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That one looks really good. Thanks for all the input. I have to figure out best option.

·
Thread Killer
315 Posts
I have bought several parts from these people in Germany and their quality is outstanding..and they are a great bunch of people...do not be afraid to buy from them....maybe others have a different opinion, but they have never done me wrong !!!........Don Harrold, Joplin, MO

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reat trim availability

Hi I cant make it to Carilse and still would love t:haha:eek: get the contact info. for the German Company so I can buy my rear trim moulding also. Can you supply please? Thank you. Nicholas.

·
Administrator
10,213 Posts
Hi I cant make it to Carilse and still would love t:haha:eek: get the contact info. for the German Company so I can buy my rear trim moulding also. Can you supply please? Thank you. Nicholas.
Opel Gt Source will be carrying them in the U.S. Shipping could be costly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts