Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to locate a passenger side seat cushion cover, in good condition and in black for a 1971 Opel GT. Anybody have any ideas?
Thx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, I have spoken to the gentleman that owns that business and he is willing to sell just one seat cover however they do not match the exact original pattern. Since I only need the passenger lower seat cushion I was hoping to find someone that had a decent used original one in black. Let me know if you know of anybody else I could contact and thank you again for your help.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
Thank you very much, I have spoken to the gentleman that owns that business and he is willing to sell just one seat cover however they do not match the exact original pattern. Since I only need the passenger lower seat cushion I was hoping to find someone that had a decent used original one in black. Let me know if you know of anybody else I could contact and thank you again for your help.
A decent, used, 50 year old, original, seat cover, for sale?

I'm sorry, sir, but you have a slightly better chance of finding Bigfoot, the second JFK shooter, and the Ark of the Covenant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, since it was only the lower seat cushion cover and the passenger side I thought there might be one out there somewhere. The only choice is to reupholster both seats completely which is not only expensive but reupholstering the driver seat that is in perfect condition. Thank you for your help though

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
Interesting enough the middle of both my driver and passenger seats is the original material I had them reuse it - the rest has been reupholstered, except for the backs of the seats which I had them also reuse. The grain in the vynil was a close match and black is pretty easy to match up. So they still appear original. I had those done back around 1998 and don't recall how much it cost but if any thing like Just Dashes $400.00 then, now $1200......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, unfortunately my passenger seat perforated vinyl Has a silver dollar size hole in it where it joins the regular grain vinyl. My upholstery shop can’t may it and the Opel parts source say they couldn’t match it exactly either even in their new seat covers. Apparently VW / Porsche box weave perforated vinyl is the closest. Having reworked an old 914 dash with that material in the past, I know it would really stand out even after buying a new cover and having it professionally installed or having my upholstery shop repair it with that Material. That makes my only choice to spend 1K on 2 new seat covers and their
Installation when 3/4 of my seats are original & perfect.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
OGTS seat covers are top notch and only $379 for a full set.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OGTS seat covers are top notch and only $379 for a full set.
Thank you. yes I have been in touch with them and they say that their material would not match the existing seat, which is in perfect condition. I would have to redo both seats to end up with a matching set, unfortunately. If it wasn’t for a perfect original driver seat and passenger seat back, I would head down that thousand dollar Rd. toward recovering both seats professionally. Thank you very much for the insight.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Wow, your car has an original drivers seat that is still good? My 1970 was worn out in the first few years.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
Thank you. yes I have been in touch with them and they say that their material would not match the existing seat, which is in perfect condition. I would have to redo both seats to end up with a matching set, unfortunately. If it wasn’t for a perfect original driver seat and passenger seat back, I would head down that thousand dollar Rd. toward recovering both seats professionally. Thank you very much for the insight.
I'm trying to figure out how $379 is a "thousand dollar road".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, your car has an original drivers seat that is still good? My 1970 was worn out in the first few years.
I was fortunate enough to find one that was purchased in 1973 from its first owner with only 16,000 miles on it, stored indoors ever since and now only has 77,000 miles on it. I really hate to give up the original seats or the money to replace just one cushion.

·
Opeler
1,303 Posts
I was fortunate enough to find one that was purchased in 1973 from its first owner with only 16,000 miles on it, stored indoors ever since and now only has 77,000 miles on it. I really hate to give up the original seats or the money to replace just one cushion.
I’d keep looking for a good original one too

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
Sounds like $379.00 is a very fair price for two complete seat covers. I would be asking just how hard is it to get the old ones off and the new ones on. I have a feeling that job will come with a large order of frustration - anyone done this and if so how was the experience.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
Sounds like $379.00 is a very fair price for two complete seat covers. I would be asking just how hard is it to get the old ones off and the new ones on. I have a feeling that job will come with a large order of frustration - anyone done this and if so how was the experience.
It's not easy.
I did the back of one. It took about 3 hours.
You need hog ring pliers and hog rings.
And band-aids. Lots of band-aids.
You'll find rotted foam. It's not easy to cut new pieces to mend the foam. Super 77 isn't strong enough. You need super 90 to adhere the new foam to the old foam.
To cut foam, get an electric carving knife.
And then don't leave the new seat cover where the cat can get to it or you'll need a new, new, seat cover. (This is why I only did the one back. My cat clawed the carp out of it the next day).

Reactions: Will I. Finish

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everybody for your help and advice. I was able to locate a passenger seat in excellent condition complete for $200. Seemed like the best way to go versus trying to reupholster both seats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you everybody for your help and advice. I was able to locate a passenger seat in excellent condition complete for $200. Seemed like the best way to go versus trying to reupholster both seats.
Interstingly, I have a perfect passenger side seat. I'm looking for an original replacement for my driver side seat (the seat cushion and seat back are ripped, and the hing bolt has been replaced with a generic bolt that isn't hinging very well). If your source has a driver seat to sell I'd be interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interstingly, I have a perfect passenger side seat. I'm looking for an original replacement for my driver side seat (the seat cushion and seat back are ripped, and the hing bolt has been replaced with a generic bolt that isn't hinging very well). If your source has a driver seat to sell I'd be interested.
I found it listed as a pair on eBay located in Shelby North Carolina. I have purchased the passenger seat but he has a driver seat that looks structurally sound but does have a few tears in the covers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts