Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've often been asked for help with throttle linkage design for sidedraft carbs on a CIH engine, specifically for an SSD in a GT, though there's no reason why it couldn't be adapted to work with DSD also. To this end, I'll post all pertinent pictures of my linkage design using mostly modified Opel linkage pieces here. Pictures are pretty much self-explanatory and adaptable to your own use.

Attachments

· Registered
2,631 Posts
That linkage is really well done! :cool: I have no intention of going SSD or DSD, but that is so well done that I might try to figure out how to adapt it to the "stock" Weber! :bs2:

All kidding aside, I always read your inputs with interest and the next time I get to Texas I'd like to try to meet up. That is not a threat and, as my daughter and brother both live in FT Worth, my sister lives south of Dallas and my wife's sister lives in San Antonio, it is a strong possibility! -- Doug

· Registered
2,631 Posts

· Über Moderator
6,661 Posts

· Opeler
782 Posts
I've often been asked for help with throttle linkage design for sidedraft carbs on a CIH engine, specifically for an SSD in a GT, though there's no reason why it couldn't be adapted to work with DSD also. To this end, I'll post all pertinent pictures of my linkage design using mostly modified Opel linkage pieces here. Pictures are pretty much self-explanatory and adaptable to your own use.
Is there any way to utilize the factory linkage with this set up? Can it be shortened? I am thinking about going side draft this this exact set up and I'm trying to get an idea of what is needed to make it work. What does everyone do for the choke?

· No....its not a Buick....
1,553 Posts
Is there any way to utilize the factory linkage with this set up? Can it be shortened? I am thinking about going side draft this this exact set up and I'm trying to get an idea of what is needed to make it work. What does everyone do for the choke?
I was just going to run a cable inside to open/close the choke old school. Unless there is a better way????

· Opeler
782 Posts
I was just going to run a cable inside to open/close the choke old school. Unless there is a better way????
Joe, that's the only way I know to do it. I'm really curious if there is a way to get around running a cable over the valve cover for the throttle. If I do decide to go SSD, I want it to look like it was made for the car and not a modern day add on.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Joe, that's the only way I know to do it. I'm really curious if there is a way to get around running a cable over the valve cover for the throttle. If I do decide to go SSD, I want it to look like it was made for the car and not a modern day add on.
I'm looking at going under the engine, using the cross member to support the cable. The cable would then run up the passenger side away from the exhaust.
I haven't started yet, though, but this makes using the stock throttle a lot easier.

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,656 Posts
This is a picture of the special, shorter, adjustable spring tension, solid linkage rod(with included firewall pivot) made for the Midikit SSD manifold set up for a GT:

This picture shows the entire stock chrome solid linkage system you can buy, plus the shorter SSD rod next to it:

This is a picture of the Mangoletsi cable throttle adapter. It bolts to the top of a side draft. It can be used with single or dual carbs and is very adjustable. Cable goes over the valve cover. You would still need to do a mod at the gas pedal linkage to pull the cable:

This picture shows a stock solid linkage rod going to my custom offset linkage adapter to operate an SSD on a Steinmetz manifold.

This picture shows the Manta cable throttle gizmo that Otto used. It normally bolts to the top of the oem 1.9 intake manifold. In the bottom of the picture is a widget I made to reverse the action of the of the gas pedal so that it can pull the cable:

1,553 Posts
So Gordon, not to hi-Jack your thread here....... but do you have pictures of your hogged out midi-kit intake? I am assuming Bob ported it to match the soft mounts and the larger 45 Weber barrels? When I put everything together I noticed a sizeable "step" or two and am going to clean this area up a bit to create a smoother transition. Here is a picture to show what my plan is to remove. Everything in black will be removed and smoothed out. It is a lot of material. I suspect that this "wall" could create puddles of fuel and cause problems.
Oh, and by the way, Udo does not have any linkage kits at the moment. But I did get one from OGTS last night. Don't know how many they have. For what it's worth to anyone interested.

Attachments

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,656 Posts
There are some pics here after Bob 2.4-ized it. There may be others scattered in my various "Carbs, Intakes, and Exhausts" albums:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/member...-album506-carbs-intakes-exhausts-1-page2.html

And here are some fresh pictures I just took. I really can't tell you the difference before and after Bob had at it, I really didn't look at it much. The barrel openings are 1 3/4" in diameter. I recall him saying that the runners were pretty small and that the walls of the runners were really thick. They're still pretty thick, like 1/4"-3/8" thick in spots. The intake is upside down in all the pics below:

Auto part Steel Metal Tool accessory
Metal Steel
Tool
Pipe Exhaust manifold Steel Metal Bicycle part
Metal Steel Pipe

My chromed, 2.4-ized, RallyBobbed, Midikit and short linkage rod ARE for sale as a set if someone is interested. I'm using my chromed, 2.4-ized, Steinmetz now. It's pretty sweet. I'll take a small loss on my costs on it, but I ain't giving it away. I haven't tallied my costs, but $500 would be the ballpark figure for the manifold and the linkage rod.

1,553 Posts
Thanks Gordon!
That's exactly what I was looking for.

· Administrator
10,419 Posts
I was looking at some of the SSD cable linkage kits and found one that goes under the carb. It is selling for $80 and they had an exploded view of it on their page. :haha:

I was able to throw one together with a piece of scrap metal and parts I had laying around in my shop.

Attachments

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I was looking at some of the SSD cable linkage kits and found one that goes under the carb. It is selling for $80 and they had an exploded view of it on their page. :haha:

I was able to throw one together with a piece of scrap metal and parts I had laying around in my shop.

And the link to that page is: ............. ?

1,261 Posts
My dual side drafts utilize the original stock linkage with the last piece of the linkage modified. The problem with doing this is that the front carb is driven from the rear carb. This causes the throttle shafts in the rear carb to twist and change the synchronization of the carbs as the driver opens the throttle with the gas pedal. When I finally get around to installing a cable system, it will attach to the point between the two carbs. There are several after market solutions to the carb side of that system. I think the difficult part of this project will be coming up with the attachment to the linkage that is attached to the gas pedal. It would be great if one of our suppliers (hint OGTS) could fabricate this.

1,261 Posts
69whitegt; What does everyone do for the choke?[/QUOTE said:
I don’t use the choke (fuel enrichment) cable. I run the fuel pump long enough to fill the carb bowls, pump the gas pedal a few times to enrich the fuel mixture and start the engine. If the car hasn’t been run for a few days, I may have to do this 2 or 3 times. I talked with Redline Weber’s DCOE expert and he told me that most people don’t hook up the cable. My car had a cable setup when I bought it, but I eliminated it during the restoration.

· tomking
2,492 Posts
I don’t use the choke (fuel enrichment) cable. I run the fuel pump long enough to fill the carb bowls, pump the gas pedal a few times to enrich the fuel mixture and start the engine. If the car hasn’t been run for a few days, I may have to do this 2 or 3 times. I talked with Redline Weber’s DCOE expert and he told me that most people don’t hook up the cable. My car had a cable setup when I bought it, but I eliminated it during the restoration.
Hmmmm? I did hook up an enrichment cable to my single 45DCOE. I didnt want to rev it to keep it going until it warmed up, as I figured I would have to do.

· Can Opeler
4,116 Posts
Haha mine won’t run in the morning without a little of the choke circuit. My DCOE is very very picky until it reaches operating temperature.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.