Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bolted in the stainless steel battery tray in a GT? The places to install the bolts are both in hollow frame members. So I am planning to use riv-nuts which are good for blind mounts. Has anyone tried another attachment method? I want to keep it removeable. The other question is what to do with the back edge. It seems to rest on the sheet metal flange, and was originally welded to it. I guess the options are to let it float, with maybe a strip of rubber in between to prevent vibration noise, or put a couple of bolts thru the flange. BTW, I had to put notches in the web area between the arms to clear the gusset between the frame members, but now the tray is level in both directions.

The other thing I am doing now is fitting a steel belly repair panel I bought from Europe. The battery side fits well, but the other side does not. The rear flange should be level the whole way across, but the patch is not. I think I will end up just using the battery side portion of the patch. The bends along the back edge are complex because the looking down, there is a jog in the back edge. Anyone else run into this? Thanks.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,702 Posts
I just drilled through and bolted to the horn mount crossbar and the area to the side. My belly pan is replaced with flat aluminum, so the rear of the battery tray sits flat on it and I glued a bit of rubber there for vibration dampening.

I think riv-nuts might not hold the substantial weight of the battery over time while dealing with road bumps and such. I think it would be better to bolt-through.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
863 Posts
I believe that I did basically the same thing as Gordon - 2 sheet metal screws, stainless or brass, on the cross member and two screws on the passenger side with the back resting on the belly pan - thanks for the tip on the rubber Gordon, will take the tray out tomorrow and put that in - have not had any vibration but can see how wear could become a rust problem.

Gas Machine Wire Cable Engineering

Hood Light Green Black Motor vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts