Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my '70 GT finally left me stranded. After getting it home I found that when I tried to start it, the starter would just "sound" like it was spinning. It was missing the bottom mounting bolt so I thought perhaps it had moved away from the fly wheel. After taking it out and wiring it up, I observed spindle was moving out as it should. Yet when reinstalled in the car, with all the bolts this time, I am still just getting the free spin. The teeth on both gears look good. Do I need a new starter?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well, if you checked already and the starter gear is extending into the flywhel ring gear, then the next thing to check is the gear on the starter shaft to be sure that it hasn't come loose on the shaft, or the overrunning clutch is busted. Maybe a new starter is needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
namba209 said:
Well, if you checked already and the starter gear is extending into the flywhel ring gear, then the next thing to check is the gear on the starter shaft to be sure that it hasn't come loose on the shaft, or the overrunning clutch is busted. Maybe a new starter is needed.
Thanks for the response. I noted the starter gear extedning while I had the starter off of the flywheel mount. I am not hearing the click of the gear engaging when I turn the key, just spinning. Thanks again.
Bill

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Ploplis;
I have a few extra starters out here in Snellville, if you want to come by and just pick one up, you're welcome to whichever works. BTW, where in Atlanta are you? We have our own group here and we're putting together an "adult night out" for Oct 8th, if we can get it all worked out.
Gene

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BQS4 said:
Ploplis;
I have a few extra starters out here in Snellville, if you want to come by and just pick one up, you're welcome to whichever works. BTW, where in Atlanta are you? We have our own group here and we're putting together an "adult night out" for Oct 8th, if we can get it all worked out.
Gene
BQS4
Thanks for the offer. I am located in Conyers, not tooo far from Snellville. Anyway, I was hoping to get more of an answer on if the starter is bad or possilbly the selinoid. I was going to check the voltages tonight. What seems strange is that the motor is turning but not engaging the flywheel.

How much were you wanting for one of those starters you have? Are the selenoids still intack? I'm booked for the 8th but would consider taking a ride up to pick one up if your offer still stands.

Thanks again....
Bill

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
i had the same problem this morning.went out and it started to start,then stoped making engine noise then just started to spin. i stoped then tried again, nothing but the starter spinning. every starter i've ever had to change only clicked or didnt make any sound at all.. im thinking it is the "drive or clutch" on the starter. if it is,how would you change it on the starter? or would it be better to get a rebuilt starter?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Starter drive gear with one-way, 'over-running' clutch

Ploplis said:
BQS4
Thanks for the offer. I am located in Conyers, not tooo far from Snellville. Anyway, I was hoping to get more of an answer on if the starter is bad or possilbly the selinoid. I was going to check the voltages tonight. What seems strange is that the motor is turning but not engaging the flywheel.

How much were you wanting for one of those starters you have? Are the selenoids still intack? I'm booked for the 8th but would consider taking a ride up to pick one up if your offer still stands.

Thanks again....
Bill
This sounds like failure of the starter drive gear one-way clutch. You used to be able to buy the drive gear assembly separately to replace it. Don't know if that's still true, but not much of a job to replace . . . make sure you tell them if Bosch or Delco starter to get the correct part. Any FSM has pics showing how to do this. :yup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts