Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
A 73 has a sway bar on the rear? I think you may be mistaken.

The only year I thought that had the sway bar mounts was the 69 maybe 70, and it was just because they were using up some stock from the euro bound GT's so it only made it on a few that came over here.

Chris

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Someone must have added it then. Or maybe your car is a gray market, or even a one of a kind. You can eaisly enough add the sway bars. In the 200+ GT's that I have looked at in person none of the gts had sway bars in the rear, only a few early models had the Axle mounts for them. All gt's have the body mounts and the mounts for the front sway bars. I have also owned three 73 GTs and none of them had the mounts on the axle for the sway bars, I wish they did, the GT needs them.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
one more use for kadett wagons

I have a couple of "extra" Kadett wagon rear axle housings if someone wants to do a swap-out to their GT to add a rear anti-sway bar. I have the sway bars from the Kadetts too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
axle housing

I would like to get in on the "extra" housings. How much? I am stationed at Fort Huachuca, AZ (about 30 miles from the US - Mexican border), hopefully shipping won't be too bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
$

For the cost of shipping, I agree with Travis. I was really offering up to anyone "local" who was looking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never looked at OGTS for those and [sheepish grin] posted before I bothered to look at the distance the stuff would have to travel.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Where are you guys finding these GT'? I have seen the addaco bars and the OGTS bars but never seen them stock on a GT. I want sway bars how did I Get Cheated?!?!?!?!?

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rembember reading a report years ago on the subject of GT sway bars. I don't rembember the source, but the author calimed that sway bars were an option in the european models but were not installed on the cars sent to the states due to cost reduction and the claim that Americans did not like firm handeling sports cars. Still have not figured out whare that batch of American motorists live.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
I remember reading a report years ago on the subject of GT sway bars. I don't remember the source, but the author claimed that sway bars were an option in the European models but were not installed on the cars sent to the states

this is what i also herd also in the Blitz or maybe that book with all the GT articles

it is very common to swap in a sway bar axle in to a GT

i got one out of a 68 rally Kaddet for $50 (3.67 rear)

Pappy of Pappymotive did a 4X4 GT years ago

he is an Opel GT circle track racer down in Corpus Christi TX

he runs a Chevette rear in case anyone was wondering

Davegt74

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone have a picture that shows the rear sway bar? I just bought one, and I would like to make sure that it is the right shape. I have alot to do before I can drive it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts