Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year

Does anyone know of a readily available rubber boot for the GT tie rod end. I think some of the early Ford rack and pinion unit work but can´t remember which one.

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you looking for a cheaper alternative or just need one? If you´re looking for a stock type, you can find it at www.opelgtsource.com under the suspension section, part # 3067 for $7.00/ea. If you want an alternate, I´ll take a look at mine and do a little investigative work.

·
328 Posts
tie rod boots

Just received my new boots from ogts.What is the easiest way to replace them? Can it be done without interfering with the alignment?

·
1,175 Posts
Could someone provide some links to other boot sources that will work?
I don't know what I&acute means.... You refer to another source but my Google search revealed nothing.

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
jerseyopel said:
Just received my new boots from ogts.What is the easiest way to replace them? Can it be done without interfering with the alignment?
is it the boots for the rack that u r talking about?
if so then you will have to cut the old 1 off release the check nut and mark the link rod ,split the track rod end from the link rod and slide the new boot over the threads and up into place then use zip locks /zippy ties to secure it in place redo the tie rod to the mark and lock the check nut then take it to get the tracking tested
if its the dust boot on the ball joint then remove the split pin and nut on the b/j use a spliter fork to brake the joint , prise off the boot and replace put the b/j back in and redo the nut and put a new split pin in
for this u do not need to get the tracking retested

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if your really patient, desperate, and just dont wanna take the tie rod ends off your rack in fear of having to get the front end aligned, it is possable to get the rack boots over the tie rod ends and into place. warning, they could be easily ripped this way, and it does take patience, about 10 minutes per side to slide them over.

·
TonyB
87 Posts
Help replacing rack and pinion boots

Hello,

I am trying to replace my boots on my steering rack. How do split the track rod end from the link rod ? Where is the check nut that Baz refers to located ? :confused:

Thanks Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts