Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the GT tire tray dimensions for fabbing a new tire tray from marine plywood (waterproofed). Also shows built-in metal tray for rear battery mount . . . have this in two of my GTs, one with FI since '78. :eek:

Attachments

792 Posts
battery location

Hey Otto
Would it be possible to put the battery towards the passenger side of the tray to better offset the driver weight?

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
it'd be hard if not impossable to put the battery on the pax side of the tire tray since the tire takes up almost all the tray space. would be very do-able if you didnt mind riding without a spare though.

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery in tire tray

greensmurf20 said:
it'd be hard if not impossable to put the battery on the pax side of the tire tray since the tire takes up almost all the tray space. would be very do-able if you didnt mind riding without a spare though.
"Peace(ful) side"??? :rolleyes: What he said, but I wanted to keep the spare.

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
bad habbit to abreviate passenger with pax, i confuse alot of people, gotta stop that jared!!!

792 Posts
Battery location

Was it Rodney K from Texas that had a design to put a battery in the luggage platform behind the passenger seat? I was told that that provides good balance.(Assuming you are using an Optima type battery

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Otto, I'll have to take the blame for Jared using "Pax" for passenger side of the car. I use it a lot in the chat room, it comes from USAF terminology used by the cargo aircraft and contol tower folks. It cuts down on syllables that could be misunderstood during transmission by radio during inflight emergencies.

· Opeler
159 Posts
i'm moving on to repairing the back part of my gt and have nothing over the gas tank (no tire, tray, jack, nothing). i've done a search and seen some pics that people have posted of their tray modifications but i have a few questions. what does the tray mount to? it can't just sit on the tank and secondly, assuming i can find the fittings (a set is for sale on ebay right now) how does the tire, jack, etc. attach to the tray and "trunk" area? at least the car is drivable now but it sure looks empty in the back (and i pray i don't get a flat).

bob

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Brackets ...

The tyre tray rests on an angle bracket each side which bolt to the inner wheel wells with some 6mm bolts - you should be able to see the line of holes along the inner guards. The front of the tray has a short channel section of metal in the centre which bolts between it and the body of the car above the driveshaft tunnel. The EBay pic shows this front bracket in the centre foreground but the long angle brackets thatt he tray sits on are not there.

Attachments

· Senior Contributor
695 Posts
Behind the PASS seat By PAX(people at werks)

I just had to play with the words.
Since I am running a GM A/C Unit there is just enough room under the 'raised rear deck to set an OPTIMA battery, tight but does fit. I ran the Ground to the body right at the battery location, and the positive lead (welding cable)was run down the center of the A/C consul and exits through a 5/8" hole with rubber Grommet in line and elevation with the Starter. Then I soldered a copper terminal to it and bolted it to the solenoid. Works well till you have to charge it with a battery charger, to jump it off with cables I just land it on the starter post and ground it off to what ever is closest. I would not run a wet (acid) battery due to the fumes it can put off, plus acid spills would not be fun no matter what it gets on.
As for metal support brackets, tire hold down, rear shield, ect. I have several almost complete sets,including jacks, the only thing missing is the J-bolt and wing nut. I have made the J-bolt from all-thread in the past (or I can make you an almost copy of one too) and purchased a wing nut for it in the past. Complete units are available and a pattern for the plywood deck with cut out and mount points can all be provided. Just send me a request via PM or email: rodney(at)opelwrx.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.