Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,

I have read the forum for a few months now, and though I have not posted any I enjoy the posts.

I have a 73' GT that has been in storage for the last year and a half and will be coming out soon.

Anyway, I recently aquired a complete GT. It was sitting in a field under a tree where there is no telling how long it has been sitting. The safety inspection sticker says 1981, so your guess is as good as mine. I do not know why it was parked of what might be wrong with it. It is a 1.9L with an automatic tranny. I have a few things that I would like to have off of it for myself, and the rest I will be parting out. The only thing missing from this car was 2 of the wheels(although all 4 center caps were there). All of the trim, lenses, body, evrything is there. I will be taking pics sometime in the next week to put up so that you guys can get an idea of the shape the car is in. I have not bothered with figuring out what year it is yet. I did notice that the center caps for the wheels have the exposed lugs, and the rear pan does have the indentions on the underside for the exhaust. Since I do not know why the car was parked I can not guarantee the funcionality of any parts. however I am more than willing to inspect them and provide clear pictures of any parts that any of you might be interested in.

If any of you have any questions or are interested in anything off of this car, please email me. I only read this forum about once a week, so email is the quickest way to contact me.

Thanks,

Cypher

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Body is actually in descent shape, It does have a few minor areas that need slight work on them. Like fender arches and sheetmetal under the front end. The body itself is straight and as rust free as a car this age can be. I intend to sell doors etc, and would be willing to cut the body if you need particular panels off of it. Or the entire body might be a possibility. Only problem is that the car does not have a title. so you would be literally buying just the body.

Let me know

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
i need some parts!!!!

hi, i need the seedometer (not the cable). I need all the lens and housings. and all the chrome trim and seal pieces. and the vinyl back pieces that covers the spare tire.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
The car doesn't look too bad. If you are going to part it out, I could use the sunvisors(hinges too) and white door hardware. Are they white since the seats are white?

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
I meant white door panels.

It looks like a 72 model year because of the interior and wheels. It may of been titled 73 because of when it was sold.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
After looking at the pictures it is a shame to part that out. Once the tree slime is gone it would look good. I think I may know someone with a title or two if that is the reason for parting it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not sure what year it is. I do know that my other opel is in fact a '73. It has the different tail lights (were only put on late '73)

Pics of it are here in case any of you missed them

http://images.m-nus.org/OpelGT

Can you guys start emailing me about parts instead of posting questions here?

[email protected]

It makes it easier to keep track of who I have and haven't responded to.

Thanks guys

·
Detritus Maximus
3,105 Posts
I'm with nobody on this. That car looks in better shape than mine. I know people really need parts, myself included, but it is a shame to part it out.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
I agree with opelbits. I can give you some addresses for title service. It only costs about 100 dollars. I did this for a motorcycle. I'd run the VIN with your local police to ensure it is not listed as stolen. If it is clear, you can get a title.

I will get back to you on Monday via your e-mail.

If you still want to part it out, I am still interested in the interior door panels, sun visors and attaching hardware.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Even if it's a "rust bucket" it's still good if the metal isn't dented up. My 71 GT is 100% rust on the outside but the metal is solid. All that can be blasted off and sanded and then a good fill primer applied. As for a Ks/Mo meet, I'm for it. Should have my 69 GT up and running by May. Interior may not be completed but it will be road worthy! Ah!, just to get it moving will be almost as good as sex! ALMOST I said!
:p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys, I am glad to hear such a good response from you guys about not parting it out. I hate to cut it up as much as the rest of you. I agree it is not a bad looking body. It has a little belly pan rust, and some minor fender work that needs to be done. However what you can not see in those pics, is that it has a bad floor pan. putting a new floor pan is more work than I am wanting to tackle. However if one of you are willing/able to do that, and want to purchase it, we could work something out for getting a title for it.

My ultimate goal is to use this car to make mine better. Either by taking a few parts off of it that I need, and selling the rest to buy new parts for mine, or by selling it to someone as is and taking that revenue to buy new parts for mine. I would be willing to sell this car complete as it is. However if any of you are interested in doing this. PLEASE contact me SOOON. I will start parting it out soon if I do not have any nibbles from anyone wanting to buy it.

Its really up to you guys what I do with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so I worked at the warehouse this morning and got the opel cleaned up. upon closer inspection the floor pan is not as bad as I though. There is a section that certainly needs to be fixed. It is on the drivers side along where the pan meets the exterior wall of the car. I have taken more pictures of it and here they are. I give this car about 2 weeks to sell as is, after that ITS PARTS. So please help me save this car, I do not want to part it out unless I have to, but I do need to get some money from it somehow, and I have a long list of parts that people are wanting off of it already.

Here are the pics:

http://images.m-nus.org/OpelPartsCar

Pics of it cleaned up start on page 3

I took close pics of the floor pan so that you guys can see what I am talking about. the pan feels solid, just has a few holes that need to be cut out and welded back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts