Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,739 Posts
View attachment opel hitch.pdf

I was asked by another member if I knew where a GT trailer hitch was, and I thought of another GA member that had built his own. Granted these will not pull more than the tiniest of trailers, but, it can mean extra room for GT owners going to shows and want more room to bring stuff, and not bring another car.

Here you go. I'm also including the original text that I tried to post last night the you can cut and paste in to what posting that you attach the file.

Well, Here you go Gene (and anybody else that is interested). I finally finished the drawings for the GT hitch. Its a 4 page pdf. There could be errors. The drawing is based on a finished product (meaning the part came first... then the drawing). I have not included directions, only shapes and sizes. Just for reference, the short cross bar attaches to/between the rear bumperetts. The mounting bolts penetrate all the way through the bumperetts and will need a spacer of some sort (inside) to keep it from collapsing. The Longer cross bar (the zig-zag one) attaches under the vehicle, behind the rear wheels. There is a bulkhead there that I used to attach the mounting brackets. Forgive me but I don't remember if there were mounting holes there or if I drilled them.
This is a prototype and not a production piece. I can't make any claims for its strength, durability, or safety but it works and I'm happy with it (my disclaimer).
Feel free to ask questions but don't expect a quick reply due to the fact that I'm back in school and have very little time to play but I'll do my best.

Gene, If you think this needs its own category or special location, feel free to move to a more appropriate place.

Dan White

·
Opeler
26 Posts
Additional mounting note

I thought of another tip. It would probably be beneficial to mount the "mounting brackets" (for the long zig-zag cross bar) first, before drilling the end holes. Then you could use the holes in the brackets for locating the centers for the holes in the cross bar.

Dan

·
Registered
276 Posts
Original Accessory?

I found the attached in the accessory section of a german shop manual:

Looks like there was an OEM Trailer Hitch - no details as to part number, ball size or towing capacity!

The instructions say to remove gas tank. Hold up hitch, mark holes, drill through. Enlarge hole in lower part of frame. Insert bolts from top, insert sleeves from bottom, raise hitch fixture and install nuts. The manual goes on to describe the electrical connections over a few more pages. Finally, the gas tank is reinstalled.

Harold.

Attachments

·
Opeler
26 Posts
Corrections to CAD Drawing

I noticed a mistake in one of the drawings :banghead: and Gene pointed out the absence of a dimension so I made an update. The attached is the most recent and accurate in this thread. The error that I noticed was that the mounting brackets (on the ends of the zig-zag piece) were facing the wrong way. I rotated both of them 180 degrees. The only dimension that I noticed was missing was on the piece that goes between the bumperettes. The tabs on each end are 2 inches tall (from the bottom of the bar stock to the top of the tab. Nothing else jumped out at me. If any body notices anything let me know and I'll update the drawing.

Dan

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
4,115 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I was toying with this idea if I ever come across a cheap motorcycle trailer so I can bring more toys home from Carlisle:)

·
Opeler
26 Posts
More updates

I thought I was getting pretty good at this drafting thing but it was discovered that I left out several important things. Attached is the latest (version #3).

good luck all

Dan White

Attachments

·
1,287 Posts
It is too bad I am not capable of making one of these for my GT, BUT I guess that is why I am having more fun in the Manta, I can haul a cooler, tent, EZ-up, suitcase, toolbox, etc...

·
Opeler
252 Posts
Back in the 70's I used to tow my VW dune buggy behind my Opel GT.I used to leave from work on Friday with the buggy loaded with tent ,cooler,fishing rods and coleman lanterns behind the GT.One of my friends was responsable for bringing the food, drinks,tp and whatever else was needed.We would stay until late sunday before we would load everything up to come home.The trailer hitch saved the rear end when my wife was driving and got hit from the rear.Good days.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Doing a little demolition today and I think this is a cross brace to an Opel GT trailer hitch.
It was bolted into the main crossmember that the bumperettes bolt to. I'm sure there's another part that's missing but this seems so similar to the one shown here in the PDF's.

PossibleTrailerHitchS.jpg

·
Registered
669 Posts
It's been over 40 years so I honestly don't remember the details, but I installed a trailer hitch on my 69 GT. I used it to pull a little 10ft Invader ski boat. Pretty much all I remember is that it was a purchased hitch made for a GT and it was a simple bolt on. I do know I did not have to remove the fuel tank.

·
Opeler
382 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
I'd like to see pics of how and where it mounts under the GT. My aftermarket hitch is designed to grab the right/left frame cross bar that is at the very bottom of a GT's rear panel. This is not a strong location and you can theoretically rip that bar off and your trailer gores flying.
The oem German ones grabbed the main front-to-rear frame rails. MUCH stronger.
The hitch in your pictures appears to grab the front-to-rear rails, so it looks like a good design and is more minimal than mine or the oem type.

Underneath pics please.

:)

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
I like it bigben :) I have been wanting to ad a trailer hitch as well. The price is very reasonable and appears to be heavy duty constructed. What type of bolts did you use? Yes pictures please of the area where you mounted it. Also, my brain is not tracking where you did the modification of the grinding. If you could explain and a picture would be great. A lot I'm asking, but I like what you did :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a couple months. Since my GT will have short range and I'm a sucker for roadtrips, I'll be towing a trailer with a generator (and other roadtrip supplies) the once or twice a year I'd be going long range.

The only one I'd ever seen was Gordo's on the baron and I figured it was just a parade gimmick to tow the little wagon.

The weight capacity on a GT is so low (two passengers and a bottle of water pretty much hits it) I was skeptical that this was even an option. And the GT doesn't have a towing capacity anywhere I've found spec for, making me question its legality. Anyone happen to know or have paperwork for anything officially different?

I think I'd like to see a design that uses both the bumperette mounts and ties onto the frame rails. The ones with just one of either, cantilevered out like that leave me doubtful.

Though a $79 free shipping bolt-on is a hell of a good price for something ready to go.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,343 Posts
Public service announcement. There is a mass produced hitch that is almost a direct fit on a GT. . .
Reese Towpower 77199 Scion TC hitch.
Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 77199 Class I Insta-Hitch with 1-1/4" Square Receiver opening: Automotive
The only modification required to the hitch is a little grinding on the side plate radius to clear the bottom of the back panel. And before anyone asks it will clear the rear resonator and exhaust tips.
Nice find! (y) Let us know how you got there, did you just see one and thought "let's try this?"

Dieter

·
Opeler
382 Posts
Nice find! (y) Let us know how you got there, did you just see one and thought "let's try this?"

Dieter
I was looking to buy one that was close and just cut it up and modify it. I stumbled upon this one by picture and it seemed to have a close width dimension so I bought it and was pleasantly surprised how close it was.

·
Opeler
382 Posts
Pictures of the underside. I'll answer more questions when I get a break from work. The last picture shows were the radius of the mounting bracket had to be ground out some to prevent contact with bottom edge of the rear valance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts