Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a vin database or something like that that would allow me to find out more information about my specific opel?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
What sort of information are you looking for? Some of the old parts catalogs contain a bit of information such as the starting engine or chassis numbers for the various models in the various years. In some instances it also tells what plant the car was built in. Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
Does anyone know of a vin database or something like that that would allow me to find out more information about my specific opel?
Kev, a question such as yours begs another question: did you search our site at all? Newbies are provided some slack, but for future reference, I suggest you watch the link at:
Hi newbie, you want to post on a forum? this is what you need to know!

There are many threads here on GT VIN's, and a number of references on-line that provide that information. To start, read the post:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/117555-post14.html

And then a few other links
What Year Is It?
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/tech/GTYears.pdf

HTH and welcome

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, well it makes sense that I should look for the answer, but I figured I was probably the first person who ever wanted to know anything from the VIN. JK. Yeah, it does make sense. Thanks for the info, and it should help with the research. I really was most interested in the database from the standpoint of finding out whether it was really a grey import German car or one that was imported by Buick and then purchased here, trying to figure out how many owners and just generally where the car has been. That sort of thing, which I know is more difficult, but still gonna try to do a little Car Geneology.

Thanks for the advice and the direction to the links. I appreciate it and will post more responsibly next time.

Kev.

·
Viking
862 Posts
Kev, a question such as yours begs another question: did you search our site at all? Newbies are provided some slack, but for future reference, I suggest you watch the link at:
Hi newbie, you want to post on a forum? this is what you need to know!

There are many threads here on GT VIN's, and a number of references on-line that provide that information. To start, read the post:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/117555-post14.html

And then a few other links
What Year Is It?
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/tech/GTYears.pdf

HTH and welcome
Just one little thing about this link. If you read a bit further in that thread, you`ll see that the list is one year off. It should be from october -68 through june -70.

·
789 Posts
Are the 1973 GT Vin numbers sequential ie) OY0NC2944586 was built before OY0NC2944587.... If so does anyone know the very last VIN number??

The reason I ask is that I bought my second GT in 1976(used) from the Buick Zone Manager in Minneapolis who claimed my car was one of the last four to come into the country in 1973 and the only one that was sold west of the Mississippi. I always wondered if he was giving me a line of BS.

·
Administrator
10,083 Posts
Are the 1973 GT Vin numbers sequential ie) OY0NC2944586 was built before OY0NC2944587.... If so does anyone know the very last VIN number??
Paul - Where does your VIN fall on this list?

Rüdiger Cordes has maintained that list on opelgt.org for the past 11 years.

Here's a link in English to register your GT.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gt vin

I'm trying to figure out the year GT that I have. It was sold as a '69 but the previous owner said that he thought that was incorrect due to a typo by the DOT and it may be a '70.
From the plate on the passenger side cowl area the chassis # is 93 1881198 and the (FWIW) color code is JJ 751.
The lights on the instrument panel are round, it has 3 point seat/shoulder belts and the rear windows do not open. The headlight dimmer is on the turn signal.
The engine is 1.9 and the dipstick is on the driver's side and goes into the block, not a tube.
I looked at the 'What year is it' links and the other messages in this forum, but I'm left confused. I didn't see a 93 series VIN. The information given for the instrument lights and other body stuff doesn't coincide with the motor clue (dipstick location/fitment)
Any help in deciphering the charts would be appreciated (I don't speak German).
Thanks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,405 Posts
The box in the upper right hand corner of the page labeled "Modell-Jahre" (I assume that means Model-Year, since I also don't sprechen zie deutsche) seems to indicate that model number 93 was built in 1969 and 1970 and had the 1.1 liter engine. I wonder if your car had an engine transplant at some point.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts

Attachments

·
Dale Chilton Sr.
47 Posts
I'm trying to figure out the year GT that I have. It was sold as a '69 but the previous owner said that he thought that was incorrect due to a typo by the DOT and it may be a '70.
From the plate on the passenger side cowl area the chassis # is 93 1881198 and the (FWIW) color code is JJ 751.
The lights on the instrument panel are round, it has 3 point seat/shoulder belts and the rear windows do not open. The headlight dimmer is on the turn signal.
The engine is 1.9 and the dipstick is on the driver's side and goes into the block, not a tube.
I looked at the 'What year is it' links and the other messages in this forum, but I'm left confused. I didn't see a 93 series VIN. The information given for the instrument lights and other body stuff doesn't coincide with the motor clue (dipstick location/fitment)
Any help in deciphering the charts would be appreciated (I don't speak German).
Thanks.
Larry We own 2 1.1 gt's 1969 vin#931860003 and 1970 931977421 I would guess that it is a 1969. do you have a flat panel where the liscence plate goes, if you do then it is most likely a 1969
Dale"Flying Eagle"Chilton
chiltoncue.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is no tag/plate on the door (either one), so I guess it was removed at some time. The car was 'rebuilt' by it's previous owner and I do know the engine was, at the very least, R & R'd, so a complete replacement wouldn't surprise me.
I'm not sure about the license plate panel check. I'll have to look when I get home.
Thanks for your info/help.

·
1000 Post Club
4,110 Posts
If it was originally a 1.1, the front suspension has one less leaf in the spring and the rear brakes are different if I recall correctly. Unless these were replaced, which is possible with a donor car, that would indicate a former 1.1. Someone here will have to chime in on the number of leafs in the front suspension and I don't recall.

·
Dale Chilton Sr.
47 Posts
If it was originally a 1.1, the front suspension has one less leaf in the spring and the rear brakes are different if I recall correctly. Unless these were replaced, which is possible with a donor car, that would indicate a former 1.1. Someone here will have to chime in on the number of leafs in the front suspension and I don't recall.
Thanks for the leaf spring info We have 2 front ends from 1.1's I will know that answer soon enough!
Dale"Flying Eagle"Chilton
chiltoncue.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts