Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am happy to anounce that I am now the proud new daddy of twin opels. But as a new daddy, I've got a couple of parental questions. As I have not been able to bring them home yet, and it maybe a couple of weeks. (Long drive.)

I bought one car and it comes with a parts car.

Anyway, my questions is of the VIN number, on one the VIN is 77-2776247 which definatly shows to be a '72. I've read through the posts about the VIN's, but I have yet to find a break down of the code. Does anyone have this information? I checked out http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=oana but it only lists the starting dates, and not the code it self.

·
Opeler
134 Posts
VIN Info

Hi Marcus, I believe I have what you are looking for. I can scan the info and e-mail it to you. Please let me know what e-mail address to send it to.

Richard

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if its not too much trouble could you send me one too? [email protected]...........if its too much trouble thats ok.

·
Registered
67 Posts
VIN identification

I have the Chassis and Body Parts catalog here in front of me. I'll use one of my 73 GTs as an example:

O........ Division Code (Opel)
Y........ Model Code (GT)
07....... Body Style (2 Door)
N....... Engine Code (1.9)
C....... Model Year (1973)
2....... Plant Code (9-Antwerp, 2-Bochum)
123456....... Serial Number

HTH, Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry that I couldn't find the VIN codes for the nine-digit "77" cars, or the "93" cars previous to those. I'm sure someone else will have the data on the older GTs . . . the books I have don't go back that far. Richard, do YOU have them? I think the group would be interested in you posting them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure, but I think that it was only the preface of the numbers that changed.

·
Opeler
13 Posts
1973 VIN Question

I know that the OY07 in a '73 VIN stands for Opel GT, and the N for Engine Code, and the C for the Model Year, and the next number stands for the Assembly Plant. If that digit (Assembly Plant digit) is 3, where was my GT assembled?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
GT Assembly

Most - if not all GTs were assembled at Bochum and the number after the "C" is "2"
So if yours does have a "3" then it must be unusual as I have no listing for it.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
from memory

0y07nc is common for 73.

·
Opeler
13 Posts
3 after the C

Hey,

Mine does have a three after the C. So do all three of the 1973 GT's listed on E-Bay right now. Are you sure this is unusual?

·
Opeler
13 Posts
Plant Code = 3

opelmark said:
I'll use one of my 73 GTs as an example:

O........ Division Code (Opel)
Y........ Model Code (GT)
07....... Body Style (2 Door)
N....... Engine Code (1.9)
C....... Model Year (1973)
2....... Plant Code (9-Antwerp, 2-Bochum)
123456....... Serial Number

I see you have 9 as Antwerp and 2 as Bochum. My GT has a 3 for a plant code...what does that mean??

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Threads merged

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Look at the VIN Tag ...

Want my GT said:
I see you have 9 as Antwerp and 2 as Bochum. My GT has a 3 for a plant code...what does that mean??
The alloy VIN plate under the hood on the top of the firewall will have something like:

"ADAM OPEL A.G. Russelsheim"
with ---------- "WERK BOCHUM"

under the Russelsheim.

What has your GT got in place of either Russelsheim or Bochum ?

That may give us a clue as the where it was built.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Antwerp

spdkilz02 said:
does the same go for the mantas as well?
The VIN plate on Mantas for 1973 may show a "C" followed by a "9"
and 1974 a "D" followed by a "9" with "Antwerp" on the VIN plate.
As in those years the US imported ones are recorded as being built in the Opel, Belgium assembly plant at Antwerp.
What is on your Manta VIN plate??

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Yep!

"O" = Opel
"L" = Model Code (1900 - Manta)
"77" = Body Style (Coupe')
"N" = Engine Code (1.9 litre)
"D" = 1974
"9" = Antwerp

What is on the alloy VIN plate under the hood? ON the top left corner of the plate?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts