Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am now officially disheartened. I have come close with two GTs and haven't been able to close the deal with either one due to sellers holding out on me as far as damage or what will need repair.

So: what is my best bet for finding a nice GT that won't take thousands of dollars to get presentable??? I've looked everywhere I can think of!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Hey thanks, I know that took some work and I appreciate it! I looked around and although I still didn't find one at least I have a few more options than I did. I'd sure like to find a nice mostly resto rust free GT. *sigh*

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Rust Free GT

They also show up on ebay fairly often. A couple of good ones just sold this past month:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845684988

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1844118205

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845075285

for example. But you REALLY have to expect to pay upwards of $3000 USD, or more likely $4 to $5000 USD. And you have to be patient.

You can also try Jim Marchitto (a gasp from the audience!) at USA Opel at:

http://www.justwebit.com/members/39011/

or at [email protected] (if that is still current; he seems to change ISP's a fair bit). He is "notorious" (infamous?) for having the highest appraisal of Opels of anyone on the planet, but he might just have the right one for you.

And my advice (for all the Canadian $ THAT is worth) is to spend the money up front on a good rust free, or EXTENSIVELY restored GT rather than to buy a fixer-upper. On average, for every $ spent on restoration parts (if you do the manual labour), you will get LESS than 50 cents back. If you pay someone to do it, expect 25 cents. Clearly, Opel restoration is a labour of love. Let someone else love the restoration work, while you can love driving the car.

JM2CW

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Rust Free GT

kwilford said:
Let someone else love the restoration work, while you can love driving the car.
JM2CW
Amen Brother! ;)

I've heard from Jim before, but everytime he tries to email me at my AOL account, I just get a blank message with one dash in it. I dunno if its my isp or his, but when I emailed him back asking him to try my yahoo account, I didn't hear anything further.. maybe I'll give him another shout.

I also found the Opels Unlimited website and thier cars for sale... anyone know anything about them? (I must say the black gull-wing GT is MOST MOST DROOLWORTHY....)

I did bid on the red and white one on eBay, but I just get so nervous about having to research and buy a car with the clock ticking...... Thanks for the advice though!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and BTW, the Orange eBay GT - I thought that would be MINE... its in MY CITY for cryin out loud.. figured God sent it just for me (how many Opels can there be in Des Moines, IA)... but I traded emails and calls with the seller and she never would let me come out and see/drive it... made me wonder too much so i didn't bid.

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Re: Re: Rust Free GT

Kristi said:

(I must say the black gull-wing GT is MOST MOST DROOLWORTHY....)
I've seen and sat in (nearly fell out of it 'cuz the seat wasn't bolted in) Todd's Gull-wing. Looks great from 20... ahhh make that 30 feet away.

Hang tight Kristi. You will find your GT!!!

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Rust Free GT

Gary said:

Hang tight Kristi. You will find your GT!!!
Yea, the right one is out there for you. And Im sure when you get it, it will have been worth every second you spent looking. OH, and I asked about the gull wing, and the price he gave me was......... Well lets just say you could put a kidd threw collage.LOL!! And after seeing what gary said about it a big LMAO!!!!

·
Opel Adventure # 77 NC
639 Posts
Kristi,
Not sure how much work you want to get into, but I have looked at a GT in Milan, IL(Quad Cities area) that needs to be put back together. The body work is done, it is straight and perfect (owner has corvette shop and was restoring for his wife). The engine and drive train are still installed, and may need overhaul, but ran good when parked. He also has lots of new parts, and has sent the dash out for repair. The interior is removed, as is all trim and glass. If you, or anyone else, are interested, I can check further and get his phone #.
Kevin
[email protected]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kevin I really appreciate you thinking of me, but I think I'm gonna take the prior advice and spend a little more to get one that is in really good restored shape. (I hope...)

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Hey check out eBay, there is a nice blue and white 69 GT. Its in Ohio.

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Let us know how it goes. From what I read on the auction it was inspected.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I saw that too. I've emailed the seller asking for the inspection report and for more specifics about what is running rough about it. I'll let you know what I find out.

As a side note... does anyone have any good auto transport suggestions? The quotes I have gotten so far are in teh 700-800 dollar range. (ouch)

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Kristi said:
As a side note... does anyone have any good auto transport suggestions? The quotes I have gotten so far are in teh 700-800 dollar range. (ouch)
Friend with a truck, and rent a trailer. And a road trip? maby? I never had a car shiped. How far from Ohio are you?

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Also I didn't see what size motor it has. Ask if it has the 1100 or 1900.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually one that I'm lookin at now is in Boston and that's 1300 miles away! Kinda far for a truck/trailer road trip.

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Oh sorry I thought you were talting about this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1847666627

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
70GT said:
This one is a lot closer Kristi.
From the description is sounds like most of the "heavy stuff" has been completed and the minor detailing and finishing is all that is needed. Based on the VIN, it is a rare 1.1 model (smaller, lighter engine with dual carbs) and is an early 1969. Ask for the inspection info. (Hey, now you now have a link to a car inspection service) ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Possible transport of GT

When I come home to SD in Sept. I plan on driving. I was planning on taking my Kadett, but if you want to cover the cost difference in gas from here to there (@$300-400) I would be willing to drive my transport truck home and drop it off along the way. Getting it from Boston to here isn't that much of a drive and I have to go through Iowa anyway.

I would suggest you look at the car before you buy it, but getting it home won't be that bad.

What kind of looks will a 1948 American LaFrance firetruck-turned-car-hauler with an Opel GT on the back get? You'll want pictures of that for sure!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts