Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You guys are great! You crack me up! I'll let you know on the Boston car. Its in need of a new rear end and I hear that can get expensive. I'm gonna do some checking into prices and keep a dialog open with the seller. I would sure appreciate the transport and would be more than happy to cover the gas. I'll keep ya'll posted.

As far as the eBay Opel... I am still waiting for the seller to return my email............

·
Super Moderator
6,370 Posts
GT For Sale in Ohio

It's kind of hard to believe that it still has the 1.1 litre. Very possible it has been changed out for a 1.9. But a picture of the engine would tell for sure.

These days the 1.1 is kind of desirable, in a "unique" sort of way (as if having a GT wasn't unique enough). Back when they first came out, the press universally vilified them, because they only had 2/3 as much horsepower as the 1.9.

Current comments I have heard suggest that they are only marginally slower than the later ('71 and later) low compression 1.9 litre, and because they are lighter, actually handle better. But there are some issues with parts availability, I believe, but mostly relating to drive train (transmission, differential, etc.) components, since the engine was quite common in the Kadett's.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
For what it's worth, I LOVE my "new" 1.1L GT. Definitely faster than my '72 automatic (yeah, not saying that much). But light weight and low gearing make it feel quicker than it is. Handling is noticeably better than a stock 1.9L GT (even though I just got a factory rear anti-swaybar for the car which I have yet to install). All that and 40 mpg, too!

Luckily, haven't had to look for driveline parts yet, however.

-Walter

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Oh, yeah... odds are that the eBay car still has the original engine. The seller mentions "Weber carburetors" (plural). The 1.1L SR engine has two Solex one-barrel carbs (btw, from what I understand, these are more reliable than the two-barrels found on stock 1.9L GTs). I don't know of any Weber replacements, though, and the seller could be mistaken there.

Also from what I can tell, it would NOT be an easy swap to convert a 1.1L into a 1.9L. (new engine, transmission, rear axle, brakes, suspension components, etc.)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Was just wandering thru posts...

If there is someone looking for a parts 1.1, I think I know where my one-and-only 1.1 GT is resting. It was an orange '69 - if I'm right, it's been sitting in the same field now for nearly 20 years. The interior and sheetmetal would be shot, but the drivetrain was complete when it was parked there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I dunno.

A friend here in Detroit had one of the first ones off the boat in '69, and his was a 1.1. Now he was the kid of a GM exec, so it's possible he was driving a non-US spec GT (they do that from time to time).

All I know is I had one - an orange '69 with a 1.1. Always thought the dual carb setup was cool. The car came off of a friend of my Mom's - the kid boogered it up somehow. Got it back in '81 or so; no one in their right mind would have swapped IN a 1.1 at the time; the overall condition of the car (and VIN, if I recall) indicated the motor had always been at home in that engine bay. I was bummed because the body was poor, the interior rough, and none of the powertrain bits would fit the four 1.9's I had at the time. Soo...it went to rest inna field about a half-hour from here. Not a junkyard, mind you - the home of a pack rat which is why it's prolly still there. The only thing I took off of it were the headlight harnesses and switchgear - for obvious reasons.

The funny thing about books is they're written by people - people who don't always have all the facts when they go to press. I have lots of car and bike books at home; they are loaded with inconsistencies. The authors do the research and go with what they find. I always thought there were a VERY small number of 1.1 '69's out there...

·
Super Moderator
14,891 Posts
If I recall correctly, there were something like 12 1968 GT's with the 1.1, about 2500 1969 GT's with the 1.1, and about 500 1970 GT's with the 1.1. I doubt many are left.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,891 Posts
Oh, and speaking of the whole "GM executive gets a non-US spec car" thing, a good friend of mine met a GM head honcho whose wife thought that the Opel Astra V8 / gullwing showcar was cute. So he got one for her. There's seven of them in existence, they're not available for sale, and they have 450 hp V8's with around 2500 lbs to haul around, and they cost $800,000 to build each. It's somewhere in Cape Cod, so me and my friend are going to try to get down there to take some photos (the guy said we could!). It's the same red car that was on the cover of Autoweek.

Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
They like lawyers.

The Peebmonster is now working with a retired senior exec for Chrysler who was afforded PT Cruiser #3. #1 went in the archives, #2 prolly went to Germany.

FWIW, I see new Opels alla time in my travels 'round Detroit. Of course, they all have manufacturer's plates on them, or are tucked away in corners of the Tech Center or Proving Grounds. I'm especially fond of the Opel Tigra - too bad it never made it over here!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.