Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious..... Is it possible to have a extra things added to a GT, yet have it weigh in around 1700.

Exactly what all would have to be removed to get a STREET car to this weight? 馃槀馃槈

Registered
Stock weight is about 2100 lbs. The engine and trans weigh around 350lbs. So a Gt with no power train gets you very close to your 1700 weight goal.

Can Opeler
You wouldn鈥檛 like it. Shaving 400lbs of a GT is no easy task. The lightest Opel GT race cars out there right now are around 1850lbs to my knowledge. Without a roll cage you might get close to 1700lbs if you install a smaller lower HP aluminum engine and swap over 1.1L axles and brakes.

You鈥檒l need a fiberglass front clip and window nets or lexan. You鈥檒l need an aluminum racing seat and zero interior other than a gauge set.

Reactions: MattsAwesomeStuff

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Stock weight is about 2100 lbs. The engine and trans weigh around 350lbs. So a Gt with no power train gets you very close to your 1700 weigh goal.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I knew it isn't realisticly possible. Just poking some fun.

Super Moderator
Probably the most efficient way is lightweight doors and hinges. Those suckers are HEAVY.

But yea, it鈥檚 very tough to get a street car to 1900 lbs and maintain any streetworthiness. Especially if you switch to bigger brakes, bigger wheels and tires, sway bars, etc.... that all adds weight.

脺ber Genius
1700 pounds is easy and still have a legally drivable gt.
Remove hood, rear bumpers, doors, passenger seat, spare tire, carpet, rear deck, rear and side windows.
Voila.

Registered
I looked for my list of vehicle weights by year that I made in the late 70's but couldn't find it, I have it some where. lol I believe that the '69 was just under 1700, something like 1689 lbs and the weights went up to about 2100 lbs. I did look up on-line the weight given for a '70 GT in specifications was:
Weight :1785 lbs | 809.662 kg
My guess is the weights I have for are for a basic model. When I find my list, I will post the weights but please don't hold your breathe.

脺ber Genius
I looked for my list of vehicle weights by year that I made in the late 70's but couldn't find it, I have it some where. lol I believe that the '69 was just under 1700, something like 1689 lbs and the weights went up to about 2100 lbs. I did look up on-line the weight given for a '70 GT in specifications was:
My guess is the weights I have for are for a basic model. When I find my list, I will post the weights but please don't hold your breathe.
Is that dry weight?

Registered
Is that dry weight?
Sorry I don't know and the list I made was more than forty years ago and my comment is based on a month or two old recollection. Just guessing about the weight difference but maybe the '69 was calculated with a 1.1L engine and since I had one and swapped it out for a 1.9, the weight difference between the '69 and the '70 could be there.

Super Moderator
That sounds correct for a 1.1 GT. I remember them weighing just about 1800 lbs, and the 1.9 weighing about 2080.

The 1.1 is proportionally lighter throughout the driveline. Lighter engine, lighter flywheel/clutch, lighter cooling system, lighter gearbox, lighter rear axle, lighter front leaf spring. It all adds up.

Reactions: Vincent
1 - 10 of 10 Posts