Opel GT Forum banner

GT weight.....

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  only 
#1 ·
Just curious..... Is it possible to have a extra things added to a GT, yet have it weigh in around 1700.

Exactly what all would have to be removed to get a STREET car to this weight? 😂😉

#2 · (Edited)
Stock weight is about 2100 lbs. The engine and trans weigh around 350lbs. So a Gt with no power train gets you very close to your 1700 weight goal.

#3 ·
You wouldn’t like it. Shaving 400lbs of a GT is no easy task. The lightest Opel GT race cars out there right now are around 1850lbs to my knowledge. Without a roll cage you might get close to 1700lbs if you install a smaller lower HP aluminum engine and swap over 1.1L axles and brakes.

You’ll need a fiberglass front clip and window nets or lexan. You’ll need an aluminum racing seat and zero interior other than a gauge set.

Reactions: MattsAwesomeStuff
#5 ·
Probably the most efficient way is lightweight doors and hinges. Those suckers are HEAVY.

But yea, it’s very tough to get a street car to 1900 lbs and maintain any streetworthiness. Especially if you switch to bigger brakes, bigger wheels and tires, sway bars, etc.... that all adds weight.

#6 ·
1700 pounds is easy and still have a legally drivable gt.
Remove hood, rear bumpers, doors, passenger seat, spare tire, carpet, rear deck, rear and side windows.
Voila.

Reactions: only
#7 ·
I looked for my list of vehicle weights by year that I made in the late 70's but couldn't find it, I have it some where. lol I believe that the '69 was just under 1700, something like 1689 lbs and the weights went up to about 2100 lbs. I did look up on-line the weight given for a '70 GT in specifications was:
Weight :1785 lbs | 809.662 kg
My guess is the weights I have for are for a basic model. When I find my list, I will post the weights but please don't hold your breathe.

#8 ·
I looked for my list of vehicle weights by year that I made in the late 70's but couldn't find it, I have it some where. lol I believe that the '69 was just under 1700, something like 1689 lbs and the weights went up to about 2100 lbs. I did look up on-line the weight given for a '70 GT in specifications was:
My guess is the weights I have for are for a basic model. When I find my list, I will post the weights but please don't hold your breathe.
Is that dry weight?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is that dry weight?
Sorry I don't know and the list I made was more than forty years ago and my comment is based on a month or two old recollection. Just guessing about the weight difference but maybe the '69 was calculated with a 1.1L engine and since I had one and swapped it out for a 1.9, the weight difference between the '69 and the '70 could be there.

#11 ·
When I was a kid I had a T Bucket...no fenders...it was California legal if I weighed less than 1500 lb....which I did not...closer to 1750 lb....Got lotsa tickets...They were fix it tickets so I did not care...I had a set I would slap on for the day.. ....get the car inspected and remove the next..

#12 ·
I weighed my Opel GT last time I took it to the drag strip. I have AC so I expected to be around 2100, but it was actually 2036lbs.

My interior is all stock with some added sound deadening. I had over a half a tank of gas and my spare tire was in the back.

#15 ·
Not all scales are created equal.

Reactions: Knorm65
#17 ·
You can breathe now. LOL For what it's worth this is the info I found but i don't know the year I compiled it.
I have 69and 70, Model 93 was selling for ('69) $625 to $1200 with a weight of 1815 lbs. while the ('70) selling range was 650 to 1250 with a weight of 1780 lbs.
Model 77 was
'71 selling for 750 to 1375 with a weight of 2009 lbs.
'72 selling for 900 to 1575 with a weight of 2017 lbs.
'73 selling for 1025 to 1700 with a weight of 2030 lbs.
The reason I put in the selling price range is that might give a clue as to the year I came across this info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.