Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an early 1972 GT. It was actually built 9/71.
The driver's side interior door panel is temporarily removed because a previous owner thought that the window regulator needed to be replaced. A window regulator from a 1971 GT came with the car with cable, etc.
Does anyone know where I could get some tips on properly installing and adjusting this regulator? I'm sure it's not easy. It may even be a rather mind-numbing experience. I know bolting on the clutch bell housing is no picnic. I had to do that with another GT that I owned previously. I think that I may even have invented some new and colorful words while going through the process.

Thanks,
Brett

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Brett;
The whole procedure is covered in the factory service manual. I recently replaced the broken cable in mine. Got the cable from a local hardware store. Used the original mechanism, but, put a new cable on it. Used the directions in the factory service manual to wind up the cable and installed it. Total cost of repair? $1.75
Gene

·
Registered
84 Posts
I replaced a whole door on my GT, which included the windows/crank/handle/latch

It's a PITA to get the cables lines up properly in the grooves on the crank, but it's not too difficult. I mean, I have only moderate skill in mechanics, and I was able to just figure it out by looking at it. You shouldn't have any problems. I had my father helping me, and in all, it took us about an hour for the whole door...so figure 30 minutes for the window...

·
Opeler
53 Posts
The FrankenOpel came from the PO with the window down, the door panel off, and the cable looking like a bird's nest in the door bottom. After about 4 hours with no repair manual for a guide, it would roll up and down OK. The giude on the vertical track is sloppy, though, and makes the final few inches difficult to wind up. I believe OGTS rebuilds side windows back to factory specs for US$40 . I am considering some sort of power conversion. . .

Bill and the FrankenOpel
Windows are critical with no AC in AZ!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts