Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 5 years now, I been trying to rewind a window regulator. I had success the first time I tried it. That was long ago and I can't seem to recall the trick. Can anyone help?

Larry

·
Opeler
62 Posts
Window Regulators

I'm going through the same issue right now... This is what I've found to work (though if anyone has any better ideas, I'd love to hear them). Remove the regulator from the car... I can't imagine it even being possible to wind the wires correctly with the mechanism still mounted. Be sure you wind the wires in opposite directions, and don't wind so much as to not leave enough slack to fit the wire around the top and bottom sheaves on the window guiderail. The trick (and the true test of patience) is remounting the regulator. It is essential that you keep tension on the wires, because they WILL unwind if you don't, and then you are back to square one. :mad:

·
Opeler
62 Posts
Window Regulators

Here's the trick... if you can position the regulator in the appropriate position and maintain the tension with one hand, you're off to a good start. Once the three mounting screws are back in, slide your hand down the wires until you can pull your hand out of the door. Clamp the lower wire to the door frame with vise-grips, a c-clamp, or whatever is near-by. This gives you two hands to work with to run the wire over the upper sheave. Because of the limited access to the inside of the door panel, i found it is easier to run the upper sheave first, and the lower sheave second. I'll be honest- this takes luck and patience, but this is the method I used and it seemed to work. Good Luck!

·
Opeler
62 Posts
Guiderail Trouble

And while we're on the topic...
The slides that track along the guiderail in my passenger door are shot, and it allows the window to rock forward and back just enough to cause trouble when rolling up the window. Basically, the slides are worn down, and they either need replacing or the guiderail needs thickening... There must be a reasonable solution. Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas for a solution?

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
the widow channels for the window have two bolts at the bottom of the door that give it some adjustment that can make the channels hold the window snugger, if the the adjustment is way off, the window will get really sloppy, see if you can draw it closer and take some of the movement out there.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jeff, I do believe OGTS has replacement felt pieces for the window channels. You can give them a call or check their on-line catalog. HTH.

Ron

·
Opeler
62 Posts
I'll try tightening the channels and see if that works. It's actually not the felt that needs replacing though... The worn parts are the pieces that are in contact with the window guide rail inside the door panel. The window is bolted onto a bracket that slides up and down the guide rail, and these spacers are the part that is touching the sharp (trust me, they're sharp) edges.
Thanks for all of your advice- I'm always open for any ideas. If anyone has a parts car and is willing to part with these spacers, let me know. Also, if anyone has better advice than mine for Larry's original question, I'm sure we'd both like to hear it!

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
masking tape

I always wrap the coil of cable with masking tape to keep it from unwinding while I bolt the regulator in place and start routing the cables. Once everything's roughly in place it's very easy to reach in and tear the tape right off.

·
Opeler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GT Window Regulator

LaryHill said:
For 5 years now, I been trying to rewind a window regulator. I had success the first time I tried it. That was long ago and I can't seem to recall the trick. Can anyone help?

Larry
Masking Tape, C-Clamp, Vise-Grip, Patience and luck. Believe me, Those suggestions will actually help. Short of having the manufacturing jig, you Guys have given me something to go-on.

Thanks Bunches,
Larry

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
LaryHill said:
Masking Tape, C-Clamp, Vise-Grip, Patience and luck. Believe me, Those suggestions will actually help. Short of having the manufacturing jig, you Guys have given me something to go-on.

Thanks Bunches,
Larry
This might help too . . . after you get it rewound and still have excessive slack in your cable (common)!

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
window winder

There are two clips on the plate that the winder drum is on, no need for all the other stuff to hold the cables on. Read the FSM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts