Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in hearing how others here installed the OGTS new front windshield gasket and reinstalled the windshield. Do not try this by yourself or with small children around! The instructions that came with the gasket suggest a good supply of WD 40 to make the gasket easy to slip on and for the install string to slip out. I spent half my Sunday spraying WD 40 and got no where. Today I had a glass company come out and to my delight he would have never got it done without me there to help, and even then he was mad enough to start cussing. He said forget the WD40 it made things worse. What we did with everything dry was to start working the gasket onto the windshield glass, and every 10 inches or so stopped and ran masking tape (across the gasket to keep it from coming undone later. The top curved part was the worst! After the gasket was around and held firmly on with masking tape, he took a single cord (cloth clothes line thickness) and ran through the gasket. After that it was a cake walk. I paid the $60 and was glad to do so. He almost gave up and tried putting the gasket in the opening first but that got nowhere either.

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
i do it backyards as usual. put the seal in the car and then slip the glass in and work the glass into the seal.

· Banned
3,910 Posts
to take it out to replace the gasket cut it apart with a razor knife until it will pretty much fall out

To install is easy, put the gasket on the glass first with a dab of sealant and let it get at least tacky to hold the gasket. With the glass away from the car use a small nylon cord and wrap it inside the bead for the car, all the way around say 4 to 6 times. Ok now spray that channel with WD-40 and have the ends taped to the inside of the window. Place the window and gasket together as close to where it should be as possible on the outside of the window frame. With very lite pressure from the outside where the nylon starts begin to pull it out and towards the center of the glass. This rolls the gasket bead from the inside and over the body lip. Continue going around slowly using only lite pressure from the outside and pretty soon it will be in.

Once you do it this way you'll be shocked at how easy it is. Two notes on it. It's easier to put an extra wrap of nylon on first than pull the window to start over or fish for a lower corner that didn't pop over. If it don't leak don't fix it. tests for leaks before applying any sealants later. My best time is 45 minutes from start of removal to finish in the dark by myself....it's easy.

· Registered
3,460 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
i do it backyards as usual. put the seal in the car and then slip the glass in and work the glass into the seal.
I thought that was the correct way. When I had my truck and Durango in for glass repairs, they left the seal in and then put the glass in. Never, knock wood, done a Opel.
Just read "Nobodys" post, and that does seem logical. Jarrell

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm hoping to replace my side rear windows soon. Are those as challenging as the windshield? If so I'll save myself half a Sunday and call the windshield boys....

ps-glad the kids weren't around, but you could have always just given them earmuffs.

· Registered
616 Posts
those corner ones are easy, just screw in the trim, pop the gasket on and put the screws through the window bracket and you're done unless i'm mistaken, i was playing around with them when i first got the car and thats how i did it

also, is the rear window done the same as the windshield?

199 Posts
If you follow nobody's directions and it's an easy job. I did mine recently and it took about 30 minutes to complete doing it alone. The majority of the time was spent getting the rubber seal around the windshield. Once the seal was in place the assembly went in very easy. Make sure you get the bottom of the windshield with seal in good along the lower portion of the opening before you attempt to fold the sides over the body lip. Once the bottom is in I went six inches up the left side then six inches up the right. I continued this sequence until I meet in the top center of the windshield. It's easier and faster if you have some help but not really necessary. If you have help have your assistant gently push the windshield in as you pull on the string and fold the seal over the body lip. Since I didn't have any help I pushed the glass in after I finished folding the seal over the lip. I didn't use any lubricant nor any sealer and I have no leaks. Did the rear window the same way and it was even easier. Make sure the glass is centered in the opening!

hth
Brian

· Registered
197 Posts
Non-popout side windews

For the question on the side windows, the answer given I believe was for popout windows. What about for the fixed side windows. Sounds pretty much the same right?? Use the string and WD40?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.