Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GT wiper motor mount

Know there's not much of a chance, but thought I'd ask just in case . . .

GT wiper motor is bolted to a mounting plate which in turn is bolted to a left-side opening in the cowl by six Phillips head bolts. These screw into six square threaded fasteners held in place in their square mounting holes by eared clips that locate them. Hope that's an adequate description.

Does anyone know of a source for those square fasteners, either complete with the clip or separate, only the square "nut" part? I can't imagine these are unique to Opels, but . . . :confused:

Thanks.

·
2,054 Posts
The best source of fasteners I've found while working on the Opel these past years is the local ACE Hardware Store.

They've had the most complete inventory, and the quality has been very high.

Try your local store. While they may vary because they are individually owned franchises, they have corporate buyers and the push is to standardize their inventory nationally.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The obvious question for Ace Hardware is would they have the square nuts in metric sizes? Then again, if they do have the nuts of the overall size in a smaller SAE thread/pitch, they could be drilled out and tapped to the correct thread/pitch.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
For applications of that sort, I always suggest drilling out the old and installing riv-nuts. They are easier than fiddling around under a ledge to install clip-nuts or other slide on fastners. Slide on nuts (such as US cars use for radiators) are quick, but I like the permenant repairs better. Just my own opinion. :rolleyes:

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Nuts

It is called a "cage nut" if the nut is left slightly loose when installed, or a "clench nut" if it is fixed when installed. Some manufacturers call the "pierce nuts" also.
It may also be a "projection weld nut" if it is behind an open hole and weded on.
As far as where to get them goes, try your local yellow pages for an Industrial fastener supply.

·
352 Posts
right on pvaogg- and just my .02 is (to know what to ask for) good id & size selections from here...

http://www.boltproducts.com/tinnerman/

...and I can usually source instock onesie-twosie fasteners through my local automotive paint supply store.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Eureka!!!

Caged nuts it was in size M6x1.0 and available from any AUVECO authorized distributor. I found out after calling them that their distributor is my usual source for oddball metric stuff, BA Industrial Supply right here in Plano and about three miles from my home. What luck! :)

Then they apologized for ONLY having them in stainless steel . . . aaaaww :rolleyes: , so I bought new stainless steel bolts to eliminate rust problems in that area completely. All in all, a very good day!

A special thanks to Gene Smith for the AUVECO info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts