Opel GT Forum banner

Would you purchase a GT front wiring harness for ~$100.00?

• Yes, Definitely!

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Yes, I'd buy 2 or more

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.3%

GT Wiring harness

16K views 62 replies 32 participants last post by  GoinManta 
#1 ·
One of our members is considering making wiring harnesses for the front of the GT. Cost would be around $100.00. Is there an interest??

#3 ·
Keep in mind there are 5 separate harness' in every GT. I believe this pertains only to the front lighting harness (this is the most prone to failure however).

There is also a rear harness (taillights), dashboard harness, engine harness, and a small accessory harness.

Bob

#6 ·
I think at this point, oldopelguy needs to make a decision about what he WANTS to offer. I think there's enough feedback about what we all want for him to make a decision and then he can layout exactly what the package will include.

Personally, I'd like all the harnesses (I think he mentioned that as a possibility), but he'll need to decide what his "standard package" will be and if he wants to accept custom modifications of that standard.

Once the package is determined, I wonder how difficult it would be to come up with an online order form that would email the order with all the specs/options to oldopelguy...or am I overdoing it a bit:D

#8 ·
there are different ideas on what a new wire harness would consist of

for some people rewiring the head lights is going back 12 inches from the head lights and that's it

I had one customer that wanted his head lights rewired based on the old tech bulletin

that's a way but not the right way

the right way is to replace the hole harness that is routed exactly like the original with the original colors and every thing

running some wires over the radiator is a cheap fix

Davegt74

#9 ·
Those interested in purchasing the wiring harness may want to read through the thread "Electrical Wiring". We've been discussing the various permutations this deal might have...but I can assure you, none of us was considering a chop job like running wires over the radiator!!:eek:

#10 ·
GT Wiring Harness

When it is decieded exactly what is being offered, who ever is making the harness(es) could you please email me at hhavel@havelmark.com and let me know so I can put in an order? (After X-mas PLEASE).

Thank you! 'cuz hubby has put in an ultimatum that "The Opel GT WILL be running by spring, won't it?!" Silly him, it does RUN - it just can't go anywhere! (no breaks - no lights)

=)

Heather V. Havel
1970 Opel GT

#12 ·
Well oldopelguy, it looks as though there are enough takers for the harness. Let us know how your GT goes. Maybe you could layout the packages, final pricing and a timetable for those interested. We'll also need to get you the money, so let us know where to send it. Thanks for your help!

#13 ·
Agreed!

I'm fairly confident we can get enough people together to make this a done deal. I also recently aquired some actual rubber insulated 12ga wire for anyone who really wanted the origional type of configuration, along with some white and yellow 12ga teflon insulated wire.

I have begun the dissassembly process on the GT I am restifying. I've been taking pictures along the way, but I don't expect to have all the work done until sometime after the holidays. (Sorry all!) :( Just too many other things going on.

I'll plan on supplying just the wires for the headlights at first, then as they are paid for I should be able to get the wire for and offer all the lights and then, eventually, all of the front of the car. That way we can get some of them going sooner as the wire comes in, and those that want more "options" can get theirs in later. I may have also found a supplier for new fuse boxes, and both grey tubing (as origional on my Kadett) and nice heavy wall black heat shrink to make the whole works look as good as it works.

I'll update as the work progresses....

#14 ·
I have a harness that I could send you to use as a model if you need one.
One harness making method I saw when I worked for a defense contractor was to lay it out on a sheet of plywood and put nails at the terminations and where the harness bends. Then you run the wires point to point, wrapping the ends around the nail. Tie wrap or tape the bundle, cut the wrapped end, and you are done.

For the wire that extends into the headlights, you can use MTW wire. It's very flexible and is oil resistant.

#15 ·
Ha ha I will be running a MFD tomorrow across our computerized test stand.

I used to be an auto electrician at Commercial Body Corp the hard part is to get the right color wire.

the striped wire (yellow with a white tracer for an example)

Does any one know where we can get the right colors to match the Opel wiring diagrams.

Davegt74

#16 ·
davegt74 said:

Does any one know where we can get the right colors to match the Opel wiring diagrams.

Davegt74
Most any manufacturer of wire will custom dye the wire and/or stripes. Usually requires 500 to 1000 feet minimum, not too bad if you're making a lot of harness'.

Bob

#19 ·
Now THAT! is a big problem. I've talked to alot of local shops and always came up with a big "Neg-a-tive". Someone who lives near a plant, like Bendon Wire, would basicly have to go over there and ask where. It may be a special to auto mfg's. We have (my job) a couple of boards like Gary discribed which shows color, terminus connectors and such. Very handy when making kits.

#20 ·
In need of any Harness's I can get. Finally ready to put mine back in place so I can also put the engine back in, and I never realized how bad it was. I've got frayed wires throughout the whole thing, and it is completly covered in grease. I'm afraid if i even pick it up wrong, it will fall apart. lol Im being serious, I dont know what to do here! Any suggestions?

#22 ·
When I rewired and built the harness on my GT for the V-6/T-5 mod, I had several wires that were bad. My solution was fairly easy, and could be used as a temporary or permanent solution for the wire colors. Whatever wire is bad usually is only a short length of that wire, I just cut out the bad part and soldered in a new piece of the same gage wire of any color, that way the ends of the wire will be of the correct color, in between is under the sleeving or spiral wrap, or whatever you used to put the harness together with. If the ends are toast, put a new connector on at the beginning of the good part of the wire and solder in an extension between the ends. It will look correct and only you will know it's not the same color under the sleeve or wrap. HTH.

#24 ·
Harness

What ever happened with building the harnesses? I found this morning that my wiring harness has been tugged or pulled violently stripping the insulation from multiple wires in multilpe locations.

If these harnesses are available I am interested in all. If not, can someone direct me to a source for a new wiring harness to include all 5 parts?

I have also purchased the diagram another thread has suggested incase there is not an after market or custom harness available.

#26 ·
I know a guy who will build the entire thing if you can send him an old one, but it is pretty pricey, like about $500 for the whole thing. Let me know if you want me to look it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.