Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Opeler
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2Opel GTs in GT4 onSpeedChannel11/23at2:00EST

Just a heads up to the Opel crowd- I don't know if they'll have any race footage during the show, but if you have the Speed Channel, you might want to check it out at 2:00 EST Sunday 11/23. I just printed out the entrants in the GT-4 class, from SCCA's website, there are 2 Opel GTS on the starting grid.

I thought this should be required viewing for all of us "I get no respect at all" Opel guys !!!

Typical example:

A couple of years ago I went to the Lime Rock Fall vintage racing festival, and there was a Vintage MotorSport Magazine vendor stand in the paddock area. The people behind the counter were asking everyone who walked by what kind of sportscar they owned...(they had a ton of back issues they were selling, and were using the line to sell them). Anyway, after THEY called me over to their stand (I was about to just walk past), they asked me what kind of sportscar I had. Well, I have a Miata, and a 71 Opel GT, but I didn't say anything about the Miata... I just said "I HAVE AN OPEL GT"...here's what I got: first, 15 seconds of total silence, then they looked at each other, one just turned around, completely rudely, the other said "I'M SORRY, BUT THAT'S NOT A REAL SPORTSCAR"...then, before I could even reply he said "WE ONLY HAVE BOOKS ABOUT THE KIND OF CARS THAT YOU SEE ON RACING TRACKS, LIKE PORSCHES, BMW'S, YOU KNOW, REAL SPORTSCARS". Then he said, do you have any other cars besides that? I said, "Sorry, but I only read sportscar magazines that employ people who have some degree of intelligence"... and walked away as his jaw dropped.

Anyway, tune in for the race. They're not showing it again until Christmas Day. I just hope the jerks at the Vintage MotorSport stand didn't get jobs as camera men for the Speed Channel. I think one of the cars ran 1/2 the race, the other ended up toward the back, but hell, 2 OPEL GT's in a prestigious national sportscar event! Stick that in your ear, Vintage Motorsport Magazine snobs!

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Not only that but Stan in the 71 car started 22 so moved up 11 places, which is more than anyone else in that race I believe.

I only saw from lap 11 on and then only saw the 71 car once sort of in the back of when they were following the battle for 15th and 16th

The leader went pole to finish in first and finished 9 seconds ahead of second place. That is a huge difference for a 20-lap race. I bet my eye teeth that engine has several violations. I bet that they had winky-winky deaf to protests running the tech check station.

·
Opeler
7 Posts
Before the Opel entheusiasts start slandering those "cheating" Nissans too much, I should probably point out a couple of things

- The winning Nissan was a 4 cylinder 1.6L pushrod motor (A series)
- The top six finishers all go to impound to get the basics checked, like min weight, wheel width, choke size (if restricted), etc.
- The GT4 winner will have a top end tear down at a minimum to measure bore & stroke. BTW, in the Prod classes this year the top three finishers were handed a list in impound of individual parts to hand over to the tech inspectors, it included, camshaft, intake valve, exhaust valve, intake manifold & a con rod.
- The top engines within the class are the L series 1.6L OHC Nissans, making well in excess of 210 hp depending on whether your dyno is connected to horses or just overgrown ponies.
- The Opels have the largest engines within the class by far at 1.9L, and therefore had 300cc's more than ANY other car in the field. Due to the bore / stoke ratio they really struggle to get any more compression than 12:1 (with a legal cyl head), Vs the 14:1 + that the front runners are using. Consequently, no Opel (I know of) has ever broken the (honest) 200hp mark.

Yes, I was there, driving the blue & white Fiesta #96, qualifying 11th, just 0.001 secs ahead of Tom Drake in his (blue) Opel GT. Tom had fuel injection teething problems with part throttle calibration that had not been dialed in on the chassis dyno (ran out of time) causing a stumble coming off the corners. He ultimately DNF'd due to a fuel pick up problem. Stan Czacki had a solid race with his "borrowed" GT4 engine (head & cam from Roger Wilson, short block from John Mills, carbs & jetting spec from myself). I finally finished 8th as the highest non-tube framed car. I still have a GT4 spec Opel GT in the shop and may be back once the Opels future after the 2005 GT4 & 5 merge becomes clearer.

Bill Davidson.

·
Opeler
129 Posts
The last reply I expected to see to my "heads up" to the Opel forum members for the GT-4 race on Speed was the thoroughly informative and insightful reply that precedes this, from none other than Bill Davidson, a race driver who ran in the race !!!

Members who tuned in hopefully caught the brief pre-race interview with Bill... it was shown about 1/2 though the race. To those who missed it, Bill mentioned that he was resident engineer for Cosworth of England- I did not catch the year, but he mentioned he was with the Cosworth Formula 1 engine development program for the Stewart team, and traveled somewhat with the team. That would be the team of a certain Sir Jackie Stewart, world Grand Prix champion in 69, 71 and 73, my fellow Opel enthusiasts.

If the 2005 rules sort out in favor of Bill's ambitions to field the GT4 Opel GT he mentions, considering the background and experience he brings, I move that he is immediately elevated to god-like status.

I noticed a reply or two from members who missed the GT-4 race yesterday. The Speed Channel will air all 24 races in the 2003 Valvoline Runoffs on Christmas Day. Make sure your VCR is at the ready, tape a reminder to your TV. There was some race footage of the Opels, not a whole lot, but a nicely panned close up of Tom Drake's blue GT on pit row appeared prior to the start of the race.

From what Bill tells us, a surprising amount of parts borrowing, and lending of assistance to other entrants occurs, even in racing at this level- and right up to the last minute ! Here are guys competing on a national level, but helping each other the same way enthusiasts on this website do. Difference is, I'm just proud to have finally figured out the correct procedure to properly setting a 32 yr old Solex carb and an original points ignition, while Bill explains the fine art of displacement vs. compression ratio as related to GT-4 class competition. All the more reason most of us are more than content to watch from the stands, or stumble through the paddock and annoy the racers.

The Fiesta you are currently running is a very cool piece, wonderful to see someone with the ingenuity and enthusiasm to run such an unusual car at that level of competition. What's up with the Speed announcer saying you didn't apex that corner as well as a couple of the other drivers, and weren't using all of the track to your advantage, right after the interview piece?!! Thats some thanks for your taking the the time to do the segment for them! Perhaps that's why they are announcers, and you are running in national events. I remember that Jackie Stewart also had an unusual, albeit, very fast driving style. If that's a by-product of having been considerably involved in F1 engineering development, and traveling with the Stewart team in championship years, it's something most of us would be jealous of. I guess thats the difference between noteworthy announcers that work for the national networks, and guys that have to take whatever work they are assigned at the Speed Channel.

It would be GREAT if someone could post pictures of Tom Drake's and Stan Czacki's GT's in the picture gallery, if anyone attended the event and has pictures.

·
Registered
862 Posts
bill said that tom drake with the 71 opel gt4 using fuel
injection. what kind fuel injection is using? do they allow
fuel injection? i have an ascona GT4 that i would like
to run the runoffs maybe next year. for now i have
engine problems the i hope bob [ tgsi ] can help me
solve the problem.
pete

·
Opeler
7 Posts
All SCCA national road races are a minimum of 45 miles long. In the official results the margin of victory was 7.895 secs and Keith Grants winning average speed was 82.284 mph. So to put that into perspective after racing flat out for 45 miles, the margin of victory was 0.18 miles.

Also Keiths best lap time was 1:36.896 compared to Warren Montague (2nd, yellow Toyota)) 1:36.894. As could be seen from watching the race Warren really lost the race in the first few laps when he was battling with Mazziotti (3rd, red Honda CRX), that's when Keith pulled out the 8 sec gap.

Yes, I'm tempted to switch back to the GT4 Opel and am humbled at the suggestion of 'god like" status, but I thought another requirement was being called "Bob" .............

Tome Drake is using a Simple Digital EFI system (www.sdsefi.com), with 45mm TWM throttle bodies. He had originally set it up as a Speed Density system (MAP), but with the overlap of the race cam was not pulling enough manifold vacuum at part throttle to give sufficient resolution for the load sites (hence the part throttle stumble). He needs to switch it over to a Speed Throttle system (alpha/n) and plans to this winter, but needs to get back on the chassis dyno to get it calibrated.

Bill D.

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
bill
what fiesta do you run? and do you think the announcer has any idea that a RWD &FWD car will need a slightly different line for any given corner

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
God Like Opel Status

Bill,

You apprear very close to qualifing. Your first initial does start with "B". Additionally your initials are B.D. which is closer to Bob Dennard than most of us will ever come. :D

Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.