Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they actually do anything, in terms of safety?

I realize that they contain the lights for the license plate, but otherwise, at least the ones on my car, don't look like they'd even hold up to any collision over 5mph.

So that being said, I have been tempted to just remove the rear bumpers altogether. Possibly even the front, too, if I can find something small to replace it.

I guess this all stems for my dislike for chrome. I realize this could be a severe safety hazard, which is why I'm asking... Can these bumpers do any good for 5-10mph "bumps"?

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
469 Posts
My buddy Tim seems to think so. His wife got hit in their GT. The car did not Pinto. A few thousand insurance dollars later the car is on the road looking great like it always has. He told me the insurance co. tried to rip him off. Said the car was not worth any thing... you know regular story. But he ain't no kid, so he fought them for his classic car and won.

It would not be wise to remove the bumpers from your GT.
1. The car was designed with those bumpers in mind.
2. Any margin of crash saftey is better than none at all.
3. Insurance companys may find you as negligent.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
They may not do much in terms of modern day bumpers, but if you do run into something you are going to have to do a lot less body work than if they werent there.
It's much easier to replace a chrome bumper than to pull dents, reshape metal, sand and paint.
That being said, why is it so friggin hard to install the front bumpers on a GT? Is it just me or were they never ment to actually fit? On every GT that I have owned I have had to bend and force the front bumper to that it would line up withh the mounting holes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, thanks! That's kinda what I was wondering.

Perhaps I'll sand them down and get them painted body color. Maybe it's because I'm a child of the 90's, but I really don't like the chrome look... (plus, any weight savings would help on the AutoX track :) )

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the bumper on my 70 gt was very simple to take off and replace.....lined up perfect no tweaking or bending what-so-ever.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
469 Posts
Euro look or Blacked out bumpers look pretty cool on most cars. If those bumpers still have good chrome on them, I think there is some type of black out tape so you won't harm good chrome. If your chrome is rusty/ bad get it powder coated. They will sand blast it and give it a durable finish.

As for weight... there is probly more bondo on the average GT on the road than the weight of a front bumper. If you want to better balance your car: get a gel cell battery and switch it over the pass. side rear wheel. Another solo2 trick is to fold or remove your outside mirror, remove the pass. side wiper for the areo advantage. If you are taking her to the track, your gonna need that out side mirror.

Can you post some pics of your car in black out trim?

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
JGard18 said:
ok, thanks! That's kinda what I was wondering.

Perhaps I'll sand them down and get them painted body color. Maybe it's because I'm a child of the 90's, but I really don't like the chrome look... (plus, any weight savings would help on the AutoX track :) )
If you will see and pay attention to a lot of the new cars.... chrome trim is coming back. Especially around the windows and such.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Bumper alignment

One trick is to thread all of the screws in a little bit and then once they are all in, tighten them up. It give you the flex of the entire bumper for any alignment problems. The only ones I had which were not correctly aligned were the ones which wrapped around at the side marker light. A little pressure with the palm of my hand on the bumper, and they went right in. I started in the middle and worked my way to each end. Just my 0.02.

Jeff

·
239 Posts
I agree leave them, especially the rear!

There's more up front for protection and they look cool removed off the front! However you do realize where your Gas Tank is don't you??? :eek: Almost in what would be your back seat, inside the car with you! Get it, no rear bumper and a rear end crash could be an inferno if the tank ruptures!!!

By the way if the chrome is in great shape, why don't you trade someone here for theirs with surface rust? if your gonna sand blast and paint them??? Not like their making new bumpers for GT's these days! If you blast and paint a Cherry set of bumpers I have a pair that have a quarter sized hole rusted through each horizontal I'll gladly trade ya $50 and mine, then you can have them welded shut blast them and smooth them over with plastic bondo and paint them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts