Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading this month's GRM article on Opels, I was interested to see that there were two national wins in H-production in 2002. Anybody know anything about Toly Arutunoff's car?

I know this class is for small displacement showroom stock, but what kinds of modifications are allowed, if any?

I realize it's mostly due to the drivers themselves, but it's nice to see that these cars can still be competitive.

Plus, you don't hear much about this class. Seems like it would be relatively cheap to race in, and the speeds can't be that high, either.

Just curious... as I have a complete GT1100 parts car that might now be put to good use. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
PROPEL said:

Plus, you don't hear much about this class. Seems like it would be relatively cheap to race in, and the speeds can't be that high, either.
Would not be cheap to run. Would still cost $10k to get a car out on the track, and $50 to $75k to be competitive.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so not "cheap." But $50-75k still sounds better than the costs associated with running up front in most other classes. Thanks for the info!

·
315 Posts
Opels run in "unrestricted" Production (1.9L in F-Production, and 1.1L in H-Production. Here's a synopsis of "Production" rules allow and what it takes to run "up front":

Anything to the engine as long as original block and head are used. Stroke the same... 0.040 over bore. Stock connecting rod length. Stock valve size. (This really means custom everything except the crank which gets the massive re-work. - see http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1574 for info on the crank. For a 1.9L -> about $10K-$20K... 1.1L even more)

Any flywheel and clutch. (This means full tilt Tilton "button" clutch" - About $1500 by the time you are done with everything)

Any transmission as long as it has the same number of fwd speeds not counting overdrive. Sequential not allowed (This really means a Quaife Sierra 5 speed with an "overdrive" 5th speed... 0.930:1 5th. About $7K-$8k by the time you're done with all the machine work, adapters, hydraulic clutch, etc.

Any suspension components may be replaced & relocated with any suspension components... 4 shocks/springs. (This really means hand built, full custom coil-over suspension is the rule of the day. This can really add up... Figure at least $5K, but could easily go to $10K)

Any differential as long as it fits in the stock housing. (This really means a Quaife differential... actually 2 or 3 so you can have different rear-ends with gear ratios for different tracks. About $1000 per differential)

That's just a warm up. There's saftety stuff, brake stuff, plumbing, seat, instrumentation, and a ton of other stuff.

As Rally Bob said, you could build a low buck version... but this is the level of prep your competition would run.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Hey Walter, if you decide to play with the 1.1, let me know. I have a few NOS 1.1 heads and cranks. I'd be curious in how well you could make one flow. Not sure if oversize valves are allowed, but I know for a fact that Opel 1.6 OHC (Euro engine) valves are the same length, but larger diameter. Easy fitment.

Bob

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
there was an HP GT racer on the H production web site that was looking for 1.1 stuff

i think he said there 3 or 4 HP GT racing

davegt27

·
315 Posts
In all production classes, stock sized valves only. (42mm is stock intake size for a 1.9L... I had to prove it to SCCA with appropriate documentation.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts